HTX-202 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tip

Premium Subscriber
I pulled out of storage, my old HTX-202. Works well (receiving) with the AA battery pack, but the rechargeable pack is dead. I also located an AC adapter that I am not sure is to power the HT from the top direct 12V input, or for charging the battery pack, or both. Before I fry anything, would like clarification. Info on the AC adapter is as follows:

Model: 19-1120/19-1140
Input: AC120V 60Hz 6W
Output DC12V 200mA

Thanks for any assistance.

Tip

Tom

n3zra

My first radio was a HTX-202. The top port is for powering the radio from a 12 VDC source. The battery pack should have a charging port on it, if I remember correctly, mine did. You can power the radio from the charging wall-wart but I wouldn't use it for transmit, cannot supply the amps the the radio needs to function properly, in receive only it is sufficient.

reedeb

That is the charging unit for it. Do you have the battry holder for alkyline batteries [non recharge type] My battery packs are dead [been for yrs] I want to one of these days get new rechargables and replace em and charge em up. My 202 is still up and running afteralmost 15 yrs.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The HTX-202 has THE best front end of any ham portable ever made, mind you it will not Rx out of the ham band

DO NOT PLUG THE CHARGER INTO THE TOP PLUG!!!
you may plug in a 12vdc polorized and you can run 1w or 6w.
the adapter is for charging only and will cause damage to your unit.
and plug it into the battery pack.
you can get new replacement battery at battery plus+
i got the gelcel in mine
good luck
DW
So Cal.

tip

Premium Subscriber
Htx-202

Thanks all... yeah, that's why I second guessed myself.

Have not plugged it into the top. I do have the AA pack so that will suffice for what I need for now. Also have a 13.8 regulated supply I can use at the top. Now I know the wall wart is for the rechargeable pack!

Thanks again.

Tip

Tom

mancow

Database Admin
Really?

I drop kicked mine into the dumpster.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The HTX-202 has THE best front end of any ham portable ever made, mind you it will not Rx out of the ham band

radiowave15

It's an okay unit, not great, but adequate. I've had one for a long time. I often toss it in a bag when travelling - sure is small.

Dan

kf7yn

You can power it from the top jack with a regulated power supply of sufficient amps, but not with the wall wart.

I still have my 202 and 404, long after all others simply because they are reliable, are true FM, and as has been pointed out, have great front ends (I NEVER hear intermod). You can use Icom battery packs and desk charger from the IC-02 series, they work fine. You can also get a battery elminator on eBay. All in all a very serviceable useful radio.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Htx-202

Due to low tolerance parts in the DC circuit for external power (top jack), you should keep the voltage down rather that the full shot from the car adapter or power supply. This is a known flaw and you will have a hard time getting it repaired unless you have the skills. I had an older radio refused for repair because you can buy a new one cheaper than the cost repairs.

reedeb

Due to low tolerance parts in the DC circuit for external power (top jack), you should keep the voltage down rather that the full shot from the car adapter or power supply. This is a known flaw and you will have a hard time getting it repaired unless you have the skills. I had an older radio refused for repair because you can buy a new one cheaper than the cost repairs.

In order to run from the car [using the proper plug] you MUST remove the battery and use the top plug to power. I believe it is already set for the proper voltage.

KB0VWG

Old thread but a question regarding charging

I picked up a free htx-202 and then purchased 2 Maha battery packs 8.4v and was wondering what my charger setting should be set at to charge. i am using a universal charger and its plugged into the side of the battery pack. the 202 was my first radio 17 years or so ago.

Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.