Hypothetical question about encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is hypothetical :wink: If all the pds in my area went digital and encrypted :evil: What would I need to purchase to satisfy my scanner addiction:
Type of new digital radio.
base or mobil ?
encryption code -if there is such a thing how would it work?:D
any special antenna?

Thanks for your thoughts

fineshot1

This is hypothetical :wink: If all the pds in my area went digital and encrypted :evil: What would I need to purchase to satisfy my scanner addiction:
base or mobil ?
any special antenna?

Thanks for your thoughts

Vicki - if they went encrypted there is no scanner that is going to help you in your endeavor
to monitor said agency. That would defeat the purpose of encryption if it could be intercepted
and received.

No special antenna needed. If your antenna picks up analog fine it will receive digital just fine.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
base or mobil ?
any special antenna?

Thanks for your thoughts

The only thing that may :roll: work here would be to check for any mobile extenders they might use? Their extenders might not be encrypted.:)
Good luck vicky!:cool:
n9zas

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
base or mobil ?
any special antenna?

Thanks for your thoughts

If it's encrypted the only way to listen is to a) become a cop or b) be a dispatcher.

That's the sad truth.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Or have persimssion from the system administrater to have the system key and/or encryption key uploaded to your radio :)

scannersnstuff

i think there are hole's in a few of those answer's.

1. if the system is encrypted, the mobile extender should be encrypted as well.
2. most system's don't use mobile extender's.even if they did,you probably would not hear the input at any great distance. any message from the base would be encrypted.
3.if your system went encrypted, some but not all pd's assign radio's to officer's. most dispatcher's do not have the same accesss to those take home radio's.
4.the chance of having the encryption key given to you is pretty much nill,unless you're media or some type of affiliate with proper approval.

not being judgmental, just stating the fact's.

Last edited by a moderator:

n5ims

base or mobil ?
any special antenna?

Thanks for your thoughts

Type of new digital radio. Depends on what digital system your PD uses. The "new digital radio" would need to be compatible with them to pick up their digital signals.

base or mobil ? Which ever type you prefer. If you want a hand-held radio, get one of those. If you want a base/mobile radio (a base is a mobile with a power supply to allow it to run on your home's AC power) get one of those. You could get both if you wish, it's your money.

encryption code -if there is such a thing how would it work?:D Encrypted communications are not legal to decode without breaking federal law unless you have written permission from the system operator to decode them (they will program the key into your radio for you in this case).

any special antenna? The antenna doesn't care if the signal is analog, digital, encrypted, or not. The radio is what cares what kind of signal that is. That fact is why the old analog TV antennas sold for $19.95 (for model TVA-1295 without the "HDTV Ready" sticker) and the new ditigal TV antenna sold for $59.95 (for model TVA-1295 with the "HDTV Ready" sticker). Just in case you couldn't guess, the only difference between the two antennas was one had the sticker and the other didn't (well, besides the price that is).

saber2k5

Speaking from the standpoint of a retired police dispatcher:

The most important thing to determine is: are they going totally encrypted, or only certain talk groups (example detectives). Also-Do not confuse digital with encryption. But, that being said, the trend for many NJ municipalities is toward encryption. If that is indeed the case here, do NOT bother wasting time/money--you can not listen to encrypted communications--period. It's not just a matter of getting a Motorola or Ma/com radio--there is no way to get an encryption key. They are controlled by an administrator within the police jurisdiction. I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but that's the story.

john98225

n5ims wrote,

"Encrypted communications are not legal to decode without breaking federal law unless you have
written permission from the system operator to decode them ... "

Which federal laws are being referenced here? I've never heard of a law prohibiting a citizen of this country from being able to monitor the public (radio) airways [unless, of course, the receiver is "mobile" in some states, or being used to help facilitate a crime].

If there is such a law, I'd love to know the US Code, etc.

Last edited:

Squad10

n5ims wrote,

"Encrypted communications are not legal to decode without breaking federal law unless you have

Which federal laws are being referenced here? I've never heard of a law prohibiting a citizen of this country from being able to monitor the public (radio) airways [unless, of course, the receiver is "mobile" in some states, or being used to help facilitate a crime].

Here ya go:

18 U.S.C. 2510. Chapter 119 - Wire and Electronic Communications Interception and Interception of Oral Communications

"If all the pds in my area went digital and encrypted :evil: What would I need to purchase to satisfy my scanner addiction:"

It's easy, join the Citizens’ Police Academy. Go on a ride along and plant a bug
inside the police car. Then monitor your "bug". :D

n5ims

n5ims wrote,

Squad10 kindly provided the requested US Code for you. Also note that I specifically stated that this related to "Encrypted communications", not just any open, unencrypted radio transmission (analog or digital). As far as I know, you're free to monitor encrypted radio transmissions, you're just not able to legally decrypt them (so basically all you're free to monitor is the digital noise that makes up the signal, not that this would provide you with much information about what was being communicated).

nova1010

"If all the pds in my area went digital and encrypted :evil: What would I need to purchase to satisfy my scanner addiction:"

It's easy, join the Citizens’ Police Academy. Go on a ride along and plant a bug
inside the police car. Then monitor your "bug". :D

LOL He'd hear alot more than radio talk :lol:

N

N_Jay

You guys have missed the obvious.

If ladieloves2Scan wants to get the encryption keys, she just has to talk them out of the geeky guy in the radio shop.

How hard can that be?:wink:

:lol::twisted::lol::twisted::lol:

Of course we have moved from a "Hypothetical" to a "hypo-ethical" question.

Highpockets

I'm gunna go out on the limb here, when she uses the word radio, I think she means scanner, and is asking if you can enter a code for encryption into the scanner to hear communications. I guess we'll find out the next time she logs on. :)

scannersnstuff

actually in hindsight, i think we got suckered into yet another ad nauseam discussion of encryption.

Status
Not open for further replies.