Hyundai Santa Fe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathalogical

I agree -- it's enough with, "why I need the strobes". To answer the question once and for all, I need them because of my job -- I'm a news cameraman, which often means I have to pull over and park in dangerous places. The strobes are great on the highway. What would you all be saying if I mounted a light bar on the top of my vehicle? I'll be more than happy to answer any questions about how they work, etc -- but not "why I need them".

Thanks
How about a night time vid of your strobes in action ? I bet they look nice !

jon_k

I agree -- it's enough with, "why I need the strobes". To answer the question once and for all, I need them because of my job -- I'm a news cameraman, which often means I have to pull over and park in dangerous places. The strobes are great on the highway. What would you all be saying if I mounted a light bar on the top of my vehicle? I'll be more than happy to answer any questions about how they work, etc -- but not "why I need them".

Thanks

I'd still like to know more about the outlet / electrical plug system you have in the back there. What model numbers that outlet box is. Where the inverter system is stored, etc.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Sorry folks -- accidentally deleted the pics from the server. I re took them, and posted a very quick video of the strobes. The video is only showing one of the strobe patterns -- there are 15 selectable patterns available.

Pics/vid are at the same link: http://jrcnetwork.gotdns.com/car

On round two of the car install (to be done in a month or so) is a laptop and dashcam mount.

jon_k -- I posted a pic of the inverter as well. The power pack was about $10 from an electronics wholesaler up here. It is run to the inverter (at the front of the car). The main reason I put that in is because if I'm running battery chargers or whatever, I don't want to have to have them in the passengers seat with the inverter. I'm not sure the model of the power pack, but it's made by a company called Power Sentry. It's the equivalent of a power bar, but the plugs aren't side by side, so you can use transformer packs and not tie up the rest of the outlets.

Last edited:

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Oops, my bad. There are 4 that are mounted, and a BC246 portable kicking around in the car somewhere... haven't found the perfect way to mount the scanner yet.

af5rn

Ah, you're in the same dilemma as me with the handheld. The cupholder grip is great, but I hate giving up my cupholder, lol. I know what it's like to spend eight to twelve hours in a vehicle. Gotta have that cupholder!

Another option is to 3M tape a belt clip female to your dash somewhere and hang the 246 off of that (assuming it has a belt clip?).

The handheld volume is so darn low that I usually don't even have it running in the vehicle. I just grab it for when I am out of the vehicle.

Sweet job on the strobes, by the way! What set-up did you use? Whelen, or what? What size?

Last edited:

pathalogical

Great vid ! Thanks for posting it. As for a mount for your 246, try a Zellers tv/audio section. Look for The Clip Company -- The Vent Mount (56511807). The white cassette is an adaptor for audio. The colour doesn't fit in with the decor, but it has a coiled cord and 90 degree bend for hooking it up to my 246.

Last edited:

af5rn

Yeah, I forget you guys don't need air conditioner vents up there, lol. :lol:

Down here, people would question your sanity for even thinking of putting something in front of your AC vent.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
I'm actually not sure who made the strobes...the guy who did my install bought the strobes for me and I wasn't paying much attention.

SCPD

QRT
Hi. Here in Jersey thats illegal to have strobes for the reson you have. Here you would need a caution beacon or like a an orange strobe. Also a volunteer fireman or emt is only aloud to have blue lights and white strobes to get throught the traffic! Laws are different in Jersey!!!!! Thats a fact!

SAR923

The OP lives in Canada. Why would he give a rat's behind what the laws in Jersey say?

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I've actually made quite a few changes to the truck since I originally posted the pics. I'll have to take some new photos in the next few days and post them on RR. I mounted a laptop, and another BCT15.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I dont think I have ever sen so many bct-15s in one car but you did a hell of a job on the install/setup!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.