• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I’m new to the forum. Trying to wire a pickup truck

BrownCow101

Hello, I'm wondering if you could help a new comer out? I’m trying to wire my old truck up to the battery. To my understanding 12 wire is a decent choice of size. Is there any good battery connectors for a radio power cord? The radio is a Cobra 29 nw wx st and has been worked on and upgraded a bit. Nothing to extreme though. The antenna is a Stryker SR-A10 magnetic mount model. The mic is a pretty standard astatic. Also is there better insulated wire to reduce engine noise?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Welcome.

#12 wire will be fine for a stock CB. If you're running moderate power, use #10 wire. You should be able to find automotive grade stranded #12 red wire at most auto parts stores or via Amazon.

If you are lucky, there will be a knock out gromet on the firewall. If not, there may be room to coax the power wire (maybe with lube) along the path of the main wiring loom.

Marine grade spade crimp connectors work well. These connectors have a heat shrink sleeve with adhesive inside that seal the connection very tightly. If you don't have a crimp tool, solder on crimp terminals will work along with marine grade heat shrink tubing. Add a fuse connector close to the battery connection. You can use the vehicle chassis as the negative connection, but make sure it's a good ground return.

Wire "insulation" does nothing to mitigate engine noise (static??) and there's no easy solution. There have been some good discussions here on RR on various techniques to mitigate static that you should be able to locate with a simple search. Part of your "noise" issue may be the magnetic antenna mount.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
To help reduce the chances of getting engine/vehicle noise into your power feed, route the + lead away from other existing vehicle wiring. If you have to cross existing cable, cross at a 90º angle if possible. Avoid bundling your new wire in with existing.

Do not run your negative power lead all the way back to the battery. Find a good body ground point close to your radio and ground it there. Keep the negative lead as short as possible.

slowmover

Terminate fused POS to a ring connector fits under nut on the bolt holds the battery cable to the battery.

Terminate NEG to closest ground metal in vehicle. A seat bolt or something on firewall. No fuse. Think inches, not feet for length. Ring connector also. Clean bare metal.

As above, keep away from other wiring as reasonable. Protect it by supporting it (fastening it) the lengths needed.

Multi-meters are cheap and worth having for testing.

Looking ahead you’ll want an SWR meter as well.

How to safely run the coax is the biggest problem. It gets pinched once, it’s no good. Multimeter is help here, also.

BrownCow101

A little update here. I’ve been searching all over for a 6 ft 100% copper 3 pin power cord. I failed at soldering lol. All I see so far is the silver stranded wire. Man I miss radio shack…

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A little update here. I’ve been searching all over for a 6 ft 100% copper 3 pin power cord. I failed at soldering lol. All I see so far is the silver stranded wire. Man I miss radio shack…

Silver Stranded? Do you mean tinned copper?

Ideally you don't want to solder the connections in a mobile installation. Solder makes the connection brittle. Aviation installs actually forbid soldering connections due to issues with vibration causing connections to fail.

Use good crimp connectors and the correct tool and skip the soldering.

BrownCow101

Ah ok and yes correct tinned copper. Someone told me to get just 100% copper that isn’t tinned and apparently that’s difficult to find. “At least for me”. I have a really good set or crimpers and connectors handy.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Ah ok and yes correct tinned copper. Someone told me to get just 100% copper that isn’t tinned and apparently that’s difficult to find. “At least for me”. I have a really good set or crimpers and connectors handy.

Tinned copper wire is 100% copper that's been pre-tinned, which makes it easier to solder and it doesn't corrode/oxidize as easily. The tinning process doesn't reduce the conductivity of the wire, it's still copper underneath.

slowmover

In my experience it all gets used with other projects as well.

Last edited:

KC5AKB

Hello, I'm wondering if you could help a new comer out? I’m trying to wire my old truck up to the battery. To my understanding 12 wire is a decent choice of size. Is there any good battery connectors for a radio power cord? The radio is a Cobra 29 nw wx st and has been worked on and upgraded a bit. Nothing to extreme though. The antenna is a Stryker SR-A10 magnetic mount model. The mic is a pretty standard astatic. Also is there better insulated wire to reduce engine noise?