I bought a goat !

TAC4

Not that kind of goat, this kind of goat. Greatest Of All Time portable shortwave radio ever made, Sony ICF-2010. I bought one new when I was a kid and like a dummy I sold it. I bought this one off The Bay and it is absolutely flawless. Man I forgot how sensitive these radios are off the whip, unreal and a real sync that works.

Attachments

• goat-pupils.jpg
    goat-pupils.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240904_220143_copy_1305x979.jpg
    20240904_220143_copy_1305x979.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 23

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Not that kind of goat, this kind of goat. Greatest Of All Time portable shortwave radio ever made, Sony ICF-2010. I bought one new when I was a kid and like a dummy I sold it. I bought this one off The Bay and it is absolutely flawless. Man I forgot how sensitive these radios are off the whip, unreal and a real sync that works.

Pretty! I read multiple reviews on this radio, all of them stellar!
fGkfWnY.jpg

Paul-W

Great radio. Sadly those are not made anymore. It would be great if Sony ever decided to make those again.

13dka

HNRD! :)

You probably googled the classic problems by now but anyway, I had 2 of the classics in mine - first the input FET didn't like a nearby lightning stroke (AFAIK later models are better protected?) so the radio needed a hearing aid (a big antenna), then the speaker went mute (forgot what the problem was) and the radio needed an external audio amplifier. Among all the portables I had or tried back then, it did cope best with a 100/50kW MW station 10km away and I remember being incredibly happy when I finally got one in the 90s.

TAC4

HNRD! :)

You probably googled the classic problems by now but anyway, I had 2 of the classics in mine - first the input FET didn't like a nearby lightning stroke (AFAIK later models are better protected?) so the radio needed a hearing aid (a big antenna), then the speaker went mute (forgot what the problem was) and the radio needed an external audio amplifier. Among all the portables I had or tried back then, it did cope best with a 100/50kW MW station 10km away and I remember being incredibly happy when I finally got one in the 90s.
Yep know of all the classic faults. I even have some spare
original FET transistors just in case. But the radio is only
going under the soldering iron if there is a catastrophic
failure then I have nothing to lose.

So if one or two direct entry buttons don't work or the
back light does not work it's not worth the risk to take
it a part and fix it for the reason mentioned below.

The Sony ICF-2010 is easy enough to work on it is the
dreaded dried out paper thin ribbon cable. You just look
at it and rips in half. Then it is game over.

I have a trick I would use, I would use the thicker type clear
packing tape to reinforce the ribbon cable on just one
side before removal that way it can't rip.

Here is someone that learned the hard way and is was not me.

Attachments

• Sony-ICF-201D-.Note-broken-ribbon-cable-and-broken-switch.jpg
    Sony-ICF-201D-.Note-broken-ribbon-cable-and-broken-switch.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: