I need a good easy to use scanner for my dad

KG5ODW

My dad lives in Garfield County, Oklahoma and he is wanting an easy to use scanner. I thought about a HomePatrol 2 but I am not sure it covers the local PD. I am not really into scanning myself and my dad is 89 years old so I am looking for something hr can just turn on and it will work.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
A database scanner would be a good bet, BCD436hp/536hp, SDS100/200. They're pricey but they load the info from the database here on a microsd card. No manual programming required. Just minimal setup. Not sure if you have simulcast systems in your area, but if so the SDS models will receive it. No other scanner is really designed to receive that type of system but some people get lucky. You might want to ask people on your state's subforum for their opinion, they would know best

Brettame5

Premium Subscriber
My dad lives in Garfield County, Oklahoma and he is wanting an easy to use scanner. I thought about a HomePatrol 2 but I am not sure it covers the local PD. I am not really into scanning myself and my dad is 89 years old so I am looking for something hr can just turn on and it will work.
Hello, I took a look at Garfield county radio reference and it seems public safety is a fan of NXDN. I suggest a BCDP25P2. The baseline price is $350 + $50 for the NXDN upgrade. I have one and it works pretty well. In the future if Gardfield county goes to P25, which most are these days, it’s capable of P25 as well. As far as programming there are plenty of people and YouTube videos that can help with that

JethrowJohnson

I think I'd recommend a Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2 with the NXDN upgrade, and if he also wants to monitor surrounding counties, you might need a DMR upgrade too.

KG5ODW

I think I'd recommend a Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2 with the NXDN upgrade, and if he also wants to monitor surrounding counties, you might need a DMR upgrade too.
If I get a Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2 will I need a PC to program it? He does not use a computer or a cell phone and I have a Mac. What about a Uniden BCD436HP with a NXDN upgrade can't I just set it up using the zip code?

KG5ODW

easy to use scanners are a thing of the past, the scanners today are micro computers with a steep learning curve.
My dad has never even turned on a computer and he has never had a cell phone. I can set it up it just needs to be on, off and scan for him.

easy to use scanners are a thing of the past, the scanners today are micro computers with a steep learning curve.
That’s so true. That’s why some end up on a radio classifieds. There was a guy selling a used once 436HP on eBay and I messaged him and asked why are you selling it, which in my mind I knew, he told me, ‘’I can’t program it cause it’s too complicated.’’ He lived in my city so I met with him and gave him a spare copy of my 536’s SDHC card with favourites groups which took me years and years to compile and showed him how to turn on and off favourites and a few other important features. Since our States LE went E just under 20 years ago, scanner owners and users have been declining rapidly so any way I can help to keep it alive I will, otherwise Uniden will cease selling scanning equipment Down Under. They didn’t import the SDS200 because of this only the SDS100’s. If someone here wants a SDS200, they have to import 1 from Europe which is the SDS200E, because it uses the same band plan as we do. We are looking at AU$1,500 with all options to import which is about USD$1,000. There is also a eBayer selling the 200E as shown below.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If I get a Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2 will I need a PC to program it? He does not use a computer or a cell phone and I have a Mac. What about a Uniden BCD436HP with a NXDN upgrade can't I just set it up using the zip code?
Without a PC for keeping the database up to date on a 436HP (or other database scanners), 'scanning by zip code' might not be very effective.

With the 436HP, the NXDN channels listed for the are in the database. So, as long as the database is at least current when the scanner is acquired, he would be able to use the main database, along with a location & range. But, if there are changes or additions to what systems & channels are used, those would not be loaded unless the database can be updated, or the changes entered manually..

Yes, you can program a 325P2 through the keypad, but that is tedious, especially if you are also including the text tags. For that matter, a 436HP can also be programmed manually if you were to start out using the database then use the keypad for any additions. But it is much faster, easier, and more accurate if a PC is used. The software for the 436HP, Sentinel, is not a resource hog. You don't need a blazing fast processor and a lot of memory. If you look around, you can find a previously owned PC or laptop in the $100 to $200 range; it would need to be able to access the internet. To use your Mac, you'd need Boot Camp, Parallels, or something similar, plus a copy of Windows. If you don't already have those, the cost of purchasing & installing them is likely to be near the cost of just a used PC.

KG5ODW

Without a PC for keeping the database up to date on a 436HP (or other database scanners), 'scanning by zip code' might not be very effective.

With the 436HP, the NXDN channels listed for the are in the database. So, as long as the database is at least current when the scanner is acquired, he would be able to use the main database, along with a location & range. But, if there are changes or additions to what systems & channels are used, those would not be loaded unless the database can be updated, or the changes entered manually..

Yes, you can program a 325P2 through the keypad, but that is tedious, especially if you are also including the text tags. For that matter, a 436HP can also be programmed manually if you were to start out using the database then use the keypad for any additions. But it is much faster, easier, and more accurate if a PC is used. The software for the 436HP, Sentinel, is not a resource hog. You don't need a blazing fast processor and a lot of memory. If you look around, you can find a previously owned PC or laptop in the $100 to $200 range; it would need to be able to access the internet. To use your Mac, you'd need Boot Camp, Parallels, or something similar, plus a copy of Windows. If you don't already have those, the cost of purchasing & installing them is likely to be near the cost of just a used PC.
Thanks, I ordered the BCD436HP for him and I found a refurbished dell laptop for $150. Again thanks for your help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I ordered the BCD436HP for him and I found a refurbished dell laptop for $150. Again thanks for your help.
Besides a number of threads here in the Forums, and several Wiki pages, there are a large number of videos on YouTube with step by step details on programming.

Once you get the scanner (and your PC, along with installing Sentinel), after you update the database in Sentinel, then he can scan with his location (either latitude /longitude, or his zip code) along with a range. Be sure to enable all of the public safety service types. When the scanner is shipped, as well as when Sentinel is first installed, only the Dispatch service types are enabled- Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. You shoould also enable the Tac & Talk service types for these (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc). Not having the correct service types enabled is one of the most common errors that frustrate new scanner owners.

rvacs

Premium Subscriber
OK you will want one capable of NXDN for Enid.
Homepatrol does NOT support this.

The below you can purchase the NXDN upgrade:
I suggest database scanners as they are easier..
BCD436hp - handheld great deals on these
BCD536Hp - base - great deals on these
SDS100- handheld - nice top of line but $
SDS200- base - nice top of line but $

Thanks,
Rich
Scanners_Complete.jpg

K3HY

Premium Subscriber
OK you will want one capable of NXDN for Enid.
Homepatrol does NOT support this.

The below you can purchase the NXDN upgrade:
I suggest database scanners as they are easier..
BCD436hp - handheld great deals on these
BCD536Hp - base - great deals on these
SDS100- handheld - nice top of line but $
SDS200- base - nice top of line but $

Thanks,
Rich
View attachment 142741
I like those stands you use for your portables. Where can I find them or something similar?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have both Whistler TRX-1 and the SDS100 scanners. The Whistler TRX-1 will do NXDN and overall is easier to use and program than the SDS. It is an older design and does not always work well in simulcast P25 situations, but does well on the other systems. NXDN and DMR are both extra cost on the Uniden scanners but included on the TRX. The DMR is not true trunking but works well on the systems I have tried. The battery situaltion is also simpler on the TRX as it uses 4 AA NiMh cells and gets 8-10 hours on a fully charged set. The SDS battery is much more expensive on the handheld model. Both radios have desk top versions,