I need some recommendations for a transceiver

dudeagle

A Deagler
Hi! My name is Deagle.

If you don't know much about me, check out my first post. with that,
I want a 20-100 watt transceiver that operates on vhf, (so 136-174Mhz) And I plan to use it for simple communication for nets and such. I would like it to be mobile. Unfortuanatley, my budget is a max of $200. I am fine with getting a pre owned one too...

Strangely, I haven't seen many posts about asking what to get, I suppose most people here know what the're doing. Well I don't! If anyone knows of a better forum on RR, or a better website that I should post this on, let me know. My dad wanted me to go to a local club meetup and ask some people there, but I wanted to see If anyone here could help out. This post is for anyone that can help me, not just in Virginia.

Thanks!!

richardbritt

Database Admin
What radio service do you want to use the radio on? Commercial, amateur radio, volunteer firefighter etc? Are you licensed? I am going to assume you are in the US? Other countries have different rules so I am asking.

This site is mainly for radio scanning, but shortwave, gmrs, and some ham stuff is on here and lots of discussion about these things on here.

Qrz.com is a amateur radio site you also might want to check out. Ebay as well.

Welcome to the site here and feel free to post, browse or whatever.

Regards Richard in Northeastern NC

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi! My name is Deagle.

If you don't know much about me, check out my first post. with that,
I want a 20-100 watt transceiver that operates on vhf, (so 136-174Mhz) And I plan to use it for simple communication for nets and such. I would like it to be mobile. Unfortuanatley, my budget is a max of $200. I am fine with getting a pre owned one too...

OK, pretty easy to do.

Your soon to be acquired amateur radio license only gives you transmit permission on 144-148MHz in the VHF high band. Transmitting anywhere else on the VHF high band is not allowed. Any modern amateur radio that covers the 2 meter amateur radio band (144-148MHz) will let you RECEIVE on those 136-174MHz frequencies.

As a new ham, there's often the urge to focus on RF transmit power. Don't get hung up on that. Put your money into a better antenna. Higher transmit power only helps in one direction, where a better antenna will help with not only transmit performance but also receive performance.

As a new ham, keep things simple by sticking with one of the "Big 3" amateur radio brands:
Kenwood
Yaesu
Icom

Yes, there are plenty of Cheap Chinese Radios that will be an option, but the quality can be hit or miss. Sticking with the big 3 will usually come with better quality control, easier warranty service/replacement, and better chances of getting technical support.

There's a number of good options in the $200 range from those 3 manufacturers.

Don't forget the antenna. Big rookie mistake is to spend a lot of money on a radio, then find the cheapest, crappiest, POS antenna they can find, and then wonder why there radio doesn't work. The antenna is the most important part of your setup.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How does one get to operate on 136- 174 mhz?

There are zero amateur radio allocations in 136-174MHz other than 144-148. Zero exceptions, does not matter what license class you have. The frequency allocations are fixed and will be covered as part of your studies for your license.

There are other radio services that are in that frequency range (136-174MHz), but they are not covered by any amateur radio license.

dudeagle

A Deagler
I'm back!
There are zero amateur radio allocations in 136-174MHz other than 144-148. Zero exceptions, does not matter what license class you have. The frequency allocations are fixed and will be covered as part of your studies for your license.

There are other radio services that are in that frequency range (136-174MHz), but they are not covered by any amateur radio license.
I finally gave in to my parents reccomandations, and went to my grandfather, who is a long time HAM, and he let me borrow an ICOM IC-T7H. He said once I get my licence, I could have it. I have been listening to Gordon West's Technician cd's and whatnot. Also, I know for a fact that (for example) frequencies such as 146.625MHz are covered by a HAM licence. I have heard many transmissions on those frequencies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
146.625MHz would be in the repeater output portion of the 2 meter amateur radio band, so if you are hearing traffic on there, that is a good sign that there are active amateur radio operators in your area.

An Icom T7H is a good hand held radio. Nice of your grandfather to give it to you.

Good luck on the license.

vavolff

No Tac Channel Assigned .....
Premium Subscriber
One thing, I seem to remember the first "rank" as a ham is technician. How does one get to operate on 136- 174 mhz?Band_Chart_Image_for_ARRL_Web.jpg
Here's a couple of charts that show what frequencies you can operate with a Technician level license. The second chart shows all available frequencies/bands that hams can operate on and the levels of license can do so. These are quite handy, and reference them as you study. The technician level test is pretty easy, with some reading and study. de89a9a9d0d4ed30ed784191d660621d.jpg