I want one

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,986
Reaction score
15,499
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
I want one of these too! It's sure to get any HOA fired up
View attachment 204180
Excellent pics! I've seen this setup in person from a distance and its end use is a mystery at this time. I'm guessing the circular array of both the dipoles and bicones are for direction finding and the dipoles closely resemble Telewave, which makes VHF versions in a 138-174MHz range and also 110-128MHz. I cannot compare their size to anything to be sure but they seem more similar to the 138-174MHz version. Its also hard to tell if there is a common phasing harness making an array wiht around 9dBd gain directional or if the individual feedlines go into the bldg.

The bicone mfr is also a mystery to me at this point. At first I was thinking Hascall-Denke with the black powder coated look but their bicones are mechanically different and they don't offer mounts that look anything like the pics above. Those things are beasts.

The masts and tripod reminds me of the Blue Sky brand used by the US military and there are guy rope winders or tensioners visible in some pics. This type of masting is generally not used for permanent installs. whatever is going on here is what I want on my roof.
 

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,986
Reaction score
15,499
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
Here is part of a bicone made by AH Systems which has some similarities in the element assy.

s-l140.webp
 
Last edited:

Teotwaki

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
740
Reaction score
350
Location
SoCal
PRC/Guy says he's going to revoke my Man Card if I keep calling the 4 vertical assemblies (upside down) disc-cones. ;)

BTW, when I zoom in on the bicone mount assembly photos I can see some number-letter characters that seem to say:
13411004
REV A
1784430181824.png
 

Teotwaki

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
740
Reaction score
350
Location
SoCal
I also want these super nifty stamped brackets that allow 5 different antennas to be arrayed around the support pole.

Looks as if one of GPS antennas (leftmost) doesn't have a coax cable attached.
DSC_9362-1.JPG
 

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,986
Reaction score
15,499
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
PRC/Guy says he's going to revoke my Man Card if I keep calling the 4 vertical assemblies (upside down) disc-cones. ;)

BTW, when I zoom in on the bicone mount assembly photos I can see some number-letter characters that seem to say:
13411004
REV A
View attachment 204187
Why don't we just knock on the door and ask? You first.
 

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Messages
3,765
Reaction score
2,757
Location
California
Oh lordy! Those connectors! Watch the antennas sell 10 cents on the dollar…if we’re lucky and they think they went bad.
 

dlwtrunked

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,812
Reaction score
1,680
Anyone know the manufacturer?
Those are four discones upside down on the vertical mast and the 12 circular array antennas are biconicals IIRC
An image processed version of one of your images.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_9325-1.JPG
    DSC_9325-1.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 30

Teotwaki

Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
740
Reaction score
350
Location
SoCal
What, is that the universal "Ham Mask"? So if you were in disguise why didn't you bring some of those antennas home?
I left the GPS tags at your house and mounted the antennas on my bunker’s roof
 
Top