I wish family could use my HAM radio license like GMRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Ham license

Too many people today want privileges without any effort. When code was removed, it made getting a license much easier. From some of the questions on RR, many just memorize the answers to get their license without actually learning anything. I learned building a 3 transistor Knightkit CB ht and I am still learning. There is a difference between being a ham and understanding at least the basics and being an appliance operator.

RogueSteward

Here where I'm located, HAM radio is considered alive and well but the airwaves are pretty much dead... There is very little use at all and club members complain about lack of use. I guess I just don't see the harm in having a licensed HAM allowing his/her immediate family to use properly configured radios to communicate. Those who have their wives and kids HAM licensed are lucky. I guess if I can get the wife and kid licensed, I'll fall into the camp, "No way, get your license like everyone else" haha

RFBOSS

Way back in the day when I was first licensed as an amateur radio operator, part of the experience was learning electronics, not just being an appliance operator. To be clear I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Becoming an amateur radio operator was a way for a person to learn electronics and apply that learning to a hobby.

Over the years, ham radio has become more about appliance operating than learning electronics. Again no disrespect intended.

To be clear there are those that do learn about the more technical parts of ham radio.

To be clear my views are likely biased because I put in the work to get an extra class license when it required 20 WPM code. I also put in the work to get, back in the day, an FCC First Class Radio Telephone license.

A question for the OP. What operating privileges would you want for your family, VHF/UHF or would you want it to include HF privileges?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yeah, not going to happen. However, I would like to see a power increase on MURS, paired with some nice 50w mobiles and 5w portables. Between GMRS and MURS, you'd have a pretty decent choice for the license-free stuff.
Which is why GMRS is the obvious choice.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Becoming an amateur radio operator was a way for a person to learn electronics and apply that learning to a hobby.

Yes, amateur radio has always been meant to be a technical hobby. When I got my ticket back the the '70s The government of Canada referred to the ham radio hobby as "The Amateur Experimental Service". (It has since been shortened to the "Amateur Radio Service").

Over the years, ham radio has become more about appliance operating than learning electronics. Again no disrespect intended.

GMRS/FRS/MURS radios are either handhelds or compact boxes that mount on/under the dash . Ham radio 2m/70cm rigs are mostly the same size and shape. As a result a ham radio is not only seen as an appliance, but it's considered nothing more than a fancy form of GMRS/FRS/MURS radio.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I just don't see a problem with using it like licensed GMRS. It's kind of cute to hear my kiddo say my call letters like a responsible person unlike many out there using 5W GMRS with no license.

Ham radio isn't intended to provide utility personal communications. It can, certainly, but that is not it's purpose.

Everything within part 95 is intended for the purpose you have in mind. I think if you tried to petition the FCC for a rule change, you would face some pretty stuff opposition.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
GMRS/FRS/MURS radios are either handhelds or compact boxes that mount on/under the dash . Ham radio 2m/70cm rigs are mostly the same size and shape. As a result a ham radio is not only seen as an appliance, but it's considered nothing more than a fancy form of GMRS/FRS/MURS radio.

By that flawed logic, ham radio should also be considered a fancy form of business radio, public safety radio, marine radio, aircraft radio, and on and on and on.

How the radio is packaged has no relevance as to how it should be operated. Furthermore, ham radio has always had it's "appliance operators". But even they have to pass the tests.

Token

If your total view of ham radio is 2m/70cm mobiles or HTs then there is a starting point for the problem.

Also, ham radio existed before the services you quote, so I see them, if any relationship at all, as dumbed down, idiot proof, options to ham radio. And note, that is not an attack on those services or their users, they serve their purpose, and one of those purposes is for people with no knowledge of how or what is going on with radio, other than to mash the button and talk. Much like public service users, they don't have to know anything technical about the radio other than how to select the correct channel, everything else, maintenance, frequency coordination, programming, etc, is on someone else.

Ham radio, by regulation, allows operation with power levels and under conditions that can easily cause injury. That one reason alone is enough to warrant testing and individual licensing. Ham radio allows you to build, install, and maintain (work on) your own gear, and if your gear (arguably even store bought gear) causes harmful emissions outside of standards then that is on you, not the maker of the radio. All good reason for testing and licensing.

T!

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Consider this... Successful completion of the Technician exam, which will give the new ham access to the most popular VHF and UHF bands, consists of only 35 questions and requires only 26 (75%) of those questions be correct in order to pass.

The test covers very basic amateur subjects such as FCC rules, operating practices, station set-up, antennas, and general electronics, using pre-determined, multiple-choice questions. There are numerous publications and websites that offer tutoring and practice exams that one can take over and over until confident in taking the actual test.

Eight and ten-year-olds have done this (and more) - it's really NOT difficult. It just requires a little effort. But as you've been reading here, can be a great asset to a growing, active family.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I know it makes no difference and that the rules don't allow for it, but I'm just interested in opinions...

One of the primary basis and purposes of the Amateur Radio Service is to advance the art of radio communications technology, this is why individuals must profess certain technical skill sets as many of the RF power levels exceed what is allowed safe for consumers, not to mention building equipment, experimentation, etc. all are intended to be done by persons with that skill set.

While many utilize amateur radio for family communications, each person must have a valid license. I don't see any value in allowing family members who aren't duly licensed to operate in the manner at which you described.

Amateur radio is a hobbyist and experimenter's radio service by design. There is a reason why the FCC licenses FRS, CB, etc as license by rule and limits things like power output, ability for users to modify equipment, etc.

The two services aren't mutually interchangeable. Remember also, that part 97 rules prohibit use for any pecuniary interest, some family communications such as family business could stray into that arena. Contrary to popular belief, FRS and GMRS do NOT have this restriction and users can use the radio service for conducting business.

Originally Posted by Prcguy :
"Anyone operating an amateur radio by themselves had better have a license and know the rules."
Rogue's response--
".........Just like with GMRS, since I'm the control operator, I have to know the rules and make sure my family knows and follows the rules"
Actually you can do that now, to a very limited extent.... so limited its not germane to this discussion. I'm thinking of the old time 'phone patches, the telephone auto patch's (I haven't heard one of those in years)-- or maybe by sitting beside the non-license'd and being in physical control of the radio.

The options available equipment and frequency-wise so limit the operation parameters of MURS, CB GMR- etc. that you are not likely to get into trouble--- unless its just being a big jerk and jamming people. But with ham radio, you can use that license for SO much more than walkie-talky'ing the kids down the block. You can bounce signals off the moon, you can talk to the world ! , ---maybe even try your hand at frying your neighbor in a microwave beam path, --- all among other delightful aspects of the hobby.
Taken in that light, do you really want the responsibility for your 8 year old, ---who knows only how to operate that PTT button--- sitting down alone at your 2 kilowatt 'rig' and opening up with your callsign on 20 metre's ? Even if all you want is to be able to talk low power on 2 metre's, where and how do you draw the lines to keep them off *That*?
......... Oh the chaos I can envision!
And it is a blow torch !
No WiFi is safe within a mile of it (we don't even try being on-line while its hot.) For years when my nieces have come to visit, one of the first things they wanted was "can we use the radar ?"
Aunt Lauri graciously allow'd them to, but they knew I had to be right there in the same room -- ie: I was the "control operator."
Bless their now-teenage hearts,--with some encouragement from me and their parents they got their ham licenses- one is now an Extra Class,-- and she likes to remind me I am only an Advanced.
Today they can play with any of my radio toys they wish...but they would rather ride the horses, exploring the mountains...... sigh......... :)
Lauri

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen a kid using MURS radios...ever. In fact, I've never run into anybody in public running a MURS radio.

No difference between 5 watts there or 5 on GMRS.

MURS is VHF, GMRS is UHF. In urban areas, UHF might work better because of better penetration.

MURS radios tend to cost a little more and are probably better quality.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
MURS is VHF, GMRS is UHF. In urban areas, UHF might work better because of better penetration.

MURS radios tend to cost a little more and are probably better quality.

Yes, I'm well aware of the difference. I was responding to the, "You really want to hear the kids at the mall using 5 watts? Blechh."

My point is that kids don't use MURS, and secondly, that kids are already running around the mall with 5 watt radios.

RogueSteward

A question for the OP. What operating privileges would you want for your family, VHF/UHF or would you want it to include HF privileges?

Just VHF/UHF. We use MURS and then GMRS when we need longer distance comms than 2W MURS.

I've never seen a kid using MURS radios...ever. In fact, I've never run into anybody in public running a MURS radio.

No difference between 5 watts there or 5 on GMRS.

My kid and niece were on MURS this week and using it while camping. MURS radios are about the same price as GMRS right now.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Maybe the FCC will create an "appliance operator" license for Amateur Radio given the state of some of the awful practice on many repeaters in my area just shows most learn to pass the test, not why the answer is correct. And I would not be for it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I guess I just don't see the harm in having a licensed HAM allowing his/her immediate family to use properly configured radios to communicate.
You don't see the harm, but many other licensed amateur radio operators do the see the harm along with the FCC.

If you think the U.S. amateur radio rules are antiquated in this regard and think they should be changed, you are free to petition the FCC to change the rules. However, the responses you've gotten here should be an indication to you of how the existing licensed amateur radio community perceives your idea.

I think you've gotten your answers. That being the case, I think we are done here. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.