Icom: IC-7100

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmkelm

Premium Subscriber
I am the amateur radio frequency coordinator for the Indiana Repeater Association. Over the past two years or so, the number of DMR repeaters has increased dramatically in Indiana and the number of D-Star repeaters has decreased. So, it's my opinion based on Indiana repeater coordinations for the two modes.

Oh, and don't get the idea that I'm a big proponent of DMR for amateur radio. I'm not. I don't own a DMR radio, nor do I own a DMR repeater.

Nonetheless, if the OP thinks that the IC-7100 will suit his needs, whether it has D-Star or not, he's still looking for validation of the review comments he's read on-line.

With all due respect, your Indiana repeater theory is not proof of DMR killing D-Star. The vast majority of D-Star users are forgoing the traditional repeater in lieu of Dongles, DVAPs and other access points. Having that capability both home and mobile allows the HAM to use D-Star liberally and at will without competing for repeater access. That's my theory... And BTW, D-Star repeaters vastly outnumber DMR nationwide and continue to grow according to data presented by the Georgia D-Star group at Hamvention 2016.

The 7100 is a fine radio (which I want) and there is a great video walk-thru of features of the radio on AmateurLogic TV.

Mark

prcguy

I believe the 7000, 7100 and 7300 are all the same rigs as far as they are all in a metal box and they all have knobs. Otherwise they are absolutely completely different radios with no circuitry in common, just look at the block diagrams. The 7300 is the first direct sampling SDR that Icom has released and its getting fantastic reviews and was the major discussion at this years Dayton Hamvention. The 7000 and 7100, not so much discussion these days.

Also, the 7000 was a bit of a turkey with many flaws and I know several people that "upgraded" from the 706MKIIG to the 7000 and were so pissed off they wanted their old 706 back, its a much better radio. I have no personal experience with the 7100.
prcguy

Belive it or not the 7000 , 7100, and 7300 are all the same rigs , just with some tweaking and the addition of a crappie monochrome display ( why did they think we wanted that ?) And dstar ( for a lot of places the only way to do dstar is an additional 400+ dollars for dongles) then they put in a desk based body with color screen and waterfall, I have a 7000 love the thing to death nice color screen with all the most used buttons immediately on either side of the display, it very covent and intuitive , they really made a mess of a great rig when they did the 7100, I have known a lot of pigs and lipstick doesn't help, same deal with the 51a and 5100a cheap monochrome display that is gray on gray they don't have the contrast ability to make the text black with a grey background and what kind of a bone head move the 5100a was with a 600 buck rig that everything you need like Radio Mounts and such is an expensive option , back on the rig your thinking of I would actually say save your bucks, there is a company coming out with a new rig before the end of the year that does fusion, dstar, aprs,dmr, NXDN, and p25 that's gonna be my next toy, aside from that if you want a super all band/ mode rig ,buy a used 7000 with the beautiful color display and for in the Shack hook it to an external monitor for an awesome experience ,with conveint use due to actual buttons instead of monochrome touch display, the 7000 does everything the 7100 does minus dstar, and why pay for a feature you aren't going to use ( unless of course you plan on spending 400 + on dongles and stuff that will make every radio dstar) I can honestly say every ham I know who had a 7000 and sold it for a different rig mourn it's loss and many have gone and bought another 7000 because they missed it so much.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

jk77

For me, it's down to the Icom IC-7100 and the original Yaesu FT-991. Both are around $1000 and both are shacks in a box. To be honest, I'd prefer the Yaesu, but the problem with the finals has me scared. What I'm really looking for is a reason to get the 7100 over the Yaesu. I'm looking for things like:

- How is its receiver?
- How is the audio (both transmit and receive)?
- If you own a 7100, are you satisfied with it?
- What do you like best about it?
- What do you hate about it?

Stuff like that.

Oh, yeah, if you looked at the 7100 but decided against it, I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

And here is a one-off question: Where is the speaker located? In the body or in the control head?

Last edited:

prcguy

I've recently heard an FT-991 owner complaining about it saying its typical for Yaesu to release a radio with problems and let the customers be the beta testers.

If you already have VHF/UHF radios have you considered the Kenwood TS-480 series? I recently played with one and if I had to replace my mobile HF rig that would be high on my list. It has a good receiver, lots of features and really great punchy transmit audio. A friend of mine recently got a TS-480 and is absolutely in love with it. Its also rated slightly higher on Rob Sherwood's receiver test data site than the 7100 or 991.
prcguy

For me, it's down to the Icom IC-7100 and the original Yaesu FT-991. Both are around $1000 and both are shacks in a box. To be honest, I'd prefer the Yaesu, but the problem with the finals has me scared. What I'm really looking for is a reason to get the 7100 over the Yaesu. I'm looking for things like:

- How is its receiver?
- How is the audio (both transmit and receive)?
- If you own a 7100, are you satisfied with it?
- What do you like best about it?
- What do you hate about it?

Stuff like that.

Oh, yeah, if you looked at the 7100 but decided against it, I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

And here is a one-off question: Where is the speaker located? In the body or in the control head?

jk77

Thanks, prcguy. The reason I want a shack in a box is because I want to be able to do SSB on 2 meters which you can't do with any of the current dual band radios.

dmaria

I have an IC-7100 and really like it. It's not a contest radio for sure, but then I'm not a contester. Very easy to use and a lot of features for the money. I recently replaced it with an IC-7300 because I wanted to have a separate dual VHF/UHF rig, but the 7100 is still connected to my power supply and an antenna switch because it is my backup radio.

The USB port makes it very easy to use with the digital modes and the menu system is a pure pleasure to use after coming from a Yaesu radio (ugh).

Dave

HummerMike

My second post here. Wondering if this is a soon to be discontinued model. Just noticed two Stores offering the IC-7100 below $900. One is offering at $880 with free shipping "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST" Interesting.

Mike

jk77

My second post here. Wondering if this is a soon to be discontinued model. Just noticed two Stores offering the IC-7100 below $900. One is offering at $880 with free shipping "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST" Interesting.

Mike

I don't know, but the Yaesu FT-991 came out after the IC-7100, and the Yaesu has already been discontinued in favor of the FT-991A.

jk77

The 991 has a spectrum scope and after the August firmware update, it has a color waterfall. The difference is that the spectrum scope and the waterfall in the 991A are real-time. I however think there are other changes that we don't know of to address some of the complaints of the 991.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The 7100 speaker is in the remote head, as is the headphone jack. Audio from either is excellent.

gmkelm

Premium Subscriber

Mike

It wouldn't surprise me that a new model is in the works. Color touch screens are all the rage and the 7100 would certainly benefit from one - along with more screen features and elements. That being said, it is a fine radio that I wish I could fit into my retirement budget...

Mark - K0GMK

jk77

It wouldn't surprise me that a new model is in the works. Color touch screens are all the rage and the 7100 would certainly benefit from one - along with more screen features and elements. That being said, it is a fine radio that I wish I could fit into my retirement budget...

Mark - K0GMK

There's not a doubt in my mind that a new model is in the works, but I don't expect it anytime soon. Doesn't Icom usually debut its new models in Japan first? And then there is a substantial wait until they get FCC certification in the US. So IMO, it will be at least a year until we see a replacement.

Or I could be wrong ,,, ,

jk77

I suppose I should update this thread. I ended up purchasing a Yaesu FT-991. The price fell to below $900, and it was a deal that I just couldn't pass up. All things being equal (and they almost never are), the 991 is a better radio than the 7100. In particular, the 991 has roofing filters and an internal antenna tuner (which is weak, I know).

To be honest, I preferred the simpler monochrome screen of the 7100 and also the remote head. It was a tough decision, and I'm still not sure that I made the right one.

K4PAB

Mine shuts itself off too!

Regarding the radio protectively shutting itself down with the volume turned up too high: I have seen that happen, but only prior to the firmware update (E5 I think) that I recently applied. It may not have been fixed in the last update, but I haven't tested for it specifically. What used to happen (and the only time I saw it) was when I was on either our* FM ARES net or our local club FM net there would be some stations with really low audio that I had to run the AF gain way up on. So I'd have the AF gain up high and next station to check in would have really hot audio / high deviation and blast through at high volume. The radio immediately powered itself off. Protection for the speaker / audio output stage? Maybe. But I have not seen it happen recently.

Well, I can confirm this problem with the IC-7100 and I contacted Icom about it, but they say they have not heard about it before. My unit came with the latest firmware already installed. I am able to replicate the problem over and over and over, you get the idea. If I had the audio just below half with it squelched and someone with loud audio keyed up on the repeater it would shut itself off. If I had the squelch open, it would shut itself off just above half way. I just shipped it back to them so they can find out what the deal is. If anyone else has any info on this problem, I would be very grateful. well, 73

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.