• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F9521T issue with analog

Stretchman

I recently picked up an IC-9521 and have it programmed. On three of the frequencies I have programmed, the radio will not key up repeaters in analog. They work fine in digital. I have mixed mode selected for these repeaters, and have a separate group of analog frequencies programmed in a different zone. I know the radio is transmitting, because I listened to it on a separate radio, but the repeater will not key up.

I tried it in reverse in mixed mode analog, and it will still not key up any of these repeaters in analog. I have a EFJ 5100 that brings up the repeater fine in both modes.

There's still a couple of things I want to try, but if anyone has seen anything like this before, and can offer me a clue, I'd appreciate it.

Stretchman

Program one channel analog and one channel P25. I thought in mixed mode you had to select the TX mode. RX would do either.
Tried that. Tried talkback mode. Set up the HT and made certain the radio was xmitting the right pl tone, and according to my ft70, it's right. Works on other analog repeaters. Also works in p25, both straight digital, and in mixed mode.

I have frequencies programmed in right now that are straight analog, with the pl programmed, and the radio will not key them up. Never seen anything like it before.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Is this for ham repeaters?

If it is I am thinking the radio and frequencies are programmed narrow band and with ham radio being wide band the deviation of PL isn't enough to open repeaters.

Stretchman

Programmed wide band for analog. I tested the radio using an ft70 on the input side with t-sql set and it's xmitting the tone. I can xmit p25 and the signal reports are good. I can xmit on other ham repeaters and they operate normally.

The repeaters are Motorola quantars that are mixed mode. The only thing I can think of might be some kind of timing issue. I did have an xtl that I was programming and I might be able to check the settings on that and see if they are different. That, however, is me venturing out of my depth. I'll remember to make back ups of the settings before I attempt it.

Stretchman

Programmed wide band for analog. I tested the radio using an ft70 on the input side with t-sql set and it's xmitting the tone. I can xmit p25 and the signal reports are good. I can xmit on other ham repeaters and they operate normally.

The repeaters are Motorola quantars that are mixed mode. The only thing I can think of might be some kind of timing issue. I did have an xtl that I was programming and I might be able to check the settings on that and see if they are different. That, however, is me venturing out of my depth. I'll remember to make back ups of the settings before I attempt it

The repeaters are Motorola quantars that are mixed mode. The only thing I can think of might be some kind of timing issue. I did have an xtl that I was programming and I might be able to check the settings on that and see if they are different. That, however, is me venturing out of my depth. I'll remember to make back ups of the settings before I attempt it.
Something else I discovered reading through the threads on here is the lack of support for wideband entitlement on later versions of the firmware. The radio reports that it is at 3.2.5, and others have said that the tones might not be decoded properly if the radio isn't xmitting them on wideband, regardless of what the programming software is reporting, and that a radio, once updated, can not be rolled back to a previous firmware that actually supports wideband transmission.

I did actually try to program the radio for analog only and still wasn't able to bring up that repeater, after doing a restore of the unit from the original read.

I might have to check with icom. They don't offer any way to enable entitlement.