• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom and public safety...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PriorMike

This is more of a general info question...

Is anyone aware of any police/fire/ems using Icom equipment? I don't know if they are as well known as the other players in the field...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
A few police departments around here are using NXDN trunking systems.

12dbsinad

We have some Police/Fire/EMS running F9000/F7000 series portable and mobiles in my area on a P25 system. They seem to work well and hold up and are also very economical for the features you get.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
The Icom P25 radios are comparable to other public safety radios on the market today. I have several in the field for use and have had no complaints. Many departments have used the F50s as pagers and portables and swear by them.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I don't much about Icom's public safety radios. I was making a delivery while at work to the Wilmington, Delaware train station and noticed the railroad policeman had an Icom radio. Don't really know the mode or frequency, as I am only there for a few minutes.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
I've seen some use here in Central Kentucky, Mainly for EMS/Fire interop with parting agencies. From what I hear from first responders around here is that they like them and icom makes some solid radios.

PACNWDude

Clallam County, Oregon and some smaller nearby towns were using Icom handheld and mobile radios as of last year. They also had 2-whell drive Chevy Tahoe's and appeared to be working on a shoestring budget compared to Portland, Oregon first responders.

RodStrong

Plenty of public safety agencies use Icom. A fraction perhaps compared to companies more targeted towards pub safety, but they're out there. And they are right now in the process of breaking into the 800 world as well, P25 trunking, etc.

ProducerGuy

I've owned the old-school Icom U-16 portable and the V-100 VHF mobile radios. Never a problem. I currently have a IC-F221 UHF commercial mobile, and it's been nothing short of phenomenal. In fact, the 221 recently endured a high-SWR situation, and came thru like a champ. I've used these in both ham and business environments.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I've heard a rumor that there is a new Icom IP-based system for a fire department in Alberta, but I don't have a tremendous amount of detail on it yet.

PACNWDude

I know several environmental pollution cleanup crews that worked with rural fire departments on the West coast that used Icom U-16 handhelds and U-400 mobiles right up until narrow banding relegated them to other uses. Like ProducerGuy, still have one U-16 I kept for posterity. Great radios, that were well built, possibly better than some newer models. Icom was used by a former employer of mine for HF and VHF Marine use, in a liaison role with first responders....dealing with hurricane response and oil spills.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Many. Everthing from $150 F3/4001 portables to 800 trunking.

The biggest problem is many department heads have a /\/\ tattoo somewhere on their backsides and will never consider a radio unless the model number is also the price.

Even Mother's home state of Illinois has Icom Systems fixed infrastructure on plain old fashioned stupid vanilla analog, and ISP bought a couple thousand F5021's to put VHF comms back in their cars to dependably talk to locals ... and in case (or when) Starcom21 fails.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The biggest problem is many department heads have a /\/\ tattoo somewhere on their backsides and will never consider a radio unless the model number is also the price.
Or Icom dealers that aren't interested in selling their product. I have tried for a year to get Icom to demo an IC-F7040T so I can certify it as tested and compatible with our Motorola P25 trunking system. We have multiple vendors' subscribers on our system from Motorola, Harris, EFJ Kenwood and Relm but if a system owner/operator can't get their hands on one and verify performance, well, that's Icom's problem. Most system owners/admins are the same way: not tested=not allowed.

12dbsinad

Or Icom dealers that aren't interestebe d in selling their product. I have tried for a year to get Icom to demo an IC-F7040T so I can certify it as tested and compatible with our Motorola P25 trunking system. We have multiple vendors' subscribers on our system from Motorola, Harris, EFJ Kenwood and Relm but if a system owner/operator can't get their hands on one and verify performance, well, that's Icom's problem. Most system owners/admins are the same way: not tested=not allowed.
Icom is new in the 7/800 market. They are just getting their feet wet. Have you tried reaching out to the regional sales manager for your area? You have to remember something, most shops carry Icom as a second or third line and would much rather prefer to sell you Motorola or Harris. I will agree that Icom is not very aggressive but eventually they do come around.

I will agree with Jeatock that many are die hard set on Motorola product not matter what the cost. They could put 5 times the quantity of radio's out in the field for the same money yet they will insist on spending 5-8K on a Moneyrola, even rural areas that can't even afford staffing or other gear. There is no reason a handheld radio needs to cost more than your turnout gear and airpack

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Icom is new in the 7/800 market. They are just getting their feet wet. Have you tried reaching out to the regional sales manager for your area?
Yup. sent emails, no response. Checked with two local dealers, neither had demos. Gave up. I don't have enough hours in the day to go run down a vendor. If they are interested in selling a product, they should get serious enough to make said product available.
You have to remember something, most shops carry Icom as a second or third line and would much rather prefer to sell you Motorola or Harris. I will agree that Icom is not very aggressive but eventually they do come around.
I hope they do. Was hoping to see them at IWCE. In the meantime, the local Kenwood/EFJ reps have been very responsive. Those who work to get their product in the end users' hands are the ones who get exposure.

romanr

In my part of the world, dealers push Motorola or Harris until they find a department that's a little more cost conscious and then they almost universally push EJF Kenwood. ICOM is going to have really up their game with better response, service, and price (for equivalent quality & performance) if they have any hope of breaking into this market. That doesn't seem to be happening, yet.

I had Batwings on my check for almost 20 years and I have a biased opinion that Moto's flagship products are in a league of their own; thanks to the engineers. Their business policies, however, really went downhill before I left; no thanks to their management.

Even with my admitted bias, I am continually amused that radios which are superior to the HT's/Sabers/etc. that were the gold standard not that long ago, are now considered inadequate for "mission-critical" applications. Today, if the radio can't pound nails into a 2x4, get dragged through the bottom of Lake Michigan, survive getting run over by a tank, and take a bullet through the heart, it's not good enough for Public Safety. I'd suggest that if your life depends on your radio, don't pound nails with it, throw it at a brick wall, or soak it for hours in 10 feet of water.
If your life really depends on it, maybe you should keep it securely in a holder/pouch/carrier that is appropriate to the mission. (and don't use the antenna for a handle or tie it in a knot, either)

Status
Not open for further replies.