• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F521 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermontradio1966

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have an Icom F521 VHF and am not familiar with these as far as getting them to read via CS-F500. I have the COM port set and everything else seems OK, but the radio won't read. Does the radio need to go into a programming mode???

Thanks

stevelton

Depending on where you got the radio, it might be locked. Meaning, you cant read the radio only write to it. If you are not too worried about the current programming, try and make a simple file and write that to the radio to see if it takes.
I know you said you checked the COM port, but check it again, this is 99% the cause, ever after a person "checks" it.
Are you using a USB opc1122 cable or a serial to USB converter, or is it the serial cable going to a serial port on the computer??
I know with my USB cable, it has had the tendancy to jump around on the com port setting. If I plug it into the same usb port on the computer, sometimes the computer will set it to a different com port number, and I will have to go into "Control Panel- System- Device Manager" to see what com port the cable went to.
Steven

RADIOGUY2002

Most of the

Most of the prolbem is like the gentlemen said above, the com ports is a huge issue. Use the device manager as suggested to see if its a free port. And use that same port after that. If that does not work write to it and see what happens and then modify that write file after that so that you can read write accordingly. Also, make sure your firmware is current with the software your using, this might cause for some havoc.

RFJammed

Good answers from all.

I have the F521, and like many other programming programs, it can be a pain. The radio does not need to be set into program mode, though I always power off/on the radio after I write a new file to it. I'm not sure how it would take being re-written again.

If you are fortunate to have a older computer with a serial port, then use that. But if you can't, good luck on the USB issue. It drives me bonkers everytime I have to reprogram mine, but I've finally got it down to which USB port and speed I need. Make sure your speed is set correct also. Odds are, it's probably high speed if it's a newer computer.

Good luck!

Vermontradio1966

Banned
Older computer

Sorry for taking so long to get back. My computer is an older one with a serial port. That is about all I use as I am not really into the newer radios. The port and cable are serial. I will be setting it back up tonight to see if I can just write to it. The com port is set to COM1.

Thanks to all who replied.

Vermontradio1966

Banned
Success!!!!!!

Stevelton you were dead on. I was able to write to the radio and can now read and write to it. I was pulling my hair out on this. I just now nead to play with the software as the options are a lot more than I am used to. Thanks again to all responded. Any programming tips now helpful....

I am going to use for HAM and PS monitoring (RX only). I am setting up banks of the various areas I am working in.

Right now having some trouble with the scan setting. It looks straightforward; set the channels to one or more scan list(s). I have a P button set to scan and nothing happens when I use another radio to test it. Can someone guide me a littleon setting the scan?

Last edited:

Vermontradio1966

Banned
Product key???

What product key?? for radio or for software??? Try just having a blank software page, program in one channel and then you can read and write to radio. I have to tell you, that radio is tough to program.

moorenjames

ok i got everything that i need but my icom f-521 has channels programed that i do want to keep how do i just change the name and frequency on a dozen chanels or even add a new bank without messing with whats already on there ?

RADIOGUY2002

yOU SHOULD BE ABLE

You should be able to cut and paste with the banks. I don't know how current the software is to allow for this. You add banks on the left side pull down menu typically. Utilize Zone or bank operation under memory channels, assigned it a text tag.

moorenjames

cool thanks hopefully i figure it out cut and paste seems simple enpugh but 1 question i do need to plug the radio into a power suply dont i and if i could ask what kind of power supply is eficient for the icom f521

Duster40

Any power supply that will power-up the radio for receive-only
is enough for programming purposes.
Since you will not be transmitting, a small power supply will work.
To power F-121's for programming for the fire dept., I use a 4 amp
power supply. Works fine.

RADIOGUY2002

Simple

Go out and by a Radio shack power suppily their around 79.99 ish for a 15 amp. You could get less amps to run it as the gentlemen above me points out. Personally if I'm going to dish out the money I rather get more bang for my buck. But, then again I used my to transmit and support two mobiles off of a spilted feed line. But, in any case make sure your connection are matched red to red and black to black. Leave everything off and unpluged until all your connections are made properily. Then plug in your power suppily and then filp the switch on the unit, then follow that by turning on the radio via power button.

Good power suppily's can be obtain from Fry as well, maybe more expensive. Astron and ICS are good power suppilers. Their are a few out their, do your homework.

PillarRidge

ICom programming software & USB to serial problems

FYI: I had to try multiple versions of the Prolific (brand) USB-to-Serial cable drivers before I found one that worked. The original cable and driver CDROM supplied by my reputable vendor should have worked (but didn't)...

Apparently there are problems getting the correct USB-to-serial driver version that will actually work for your respective system (WIN XP, VISTA, W2K, etc.).

Using original cable/driver, I tried four different machines, three diff. OSs, all with no luck... Finally, I downloaded as many Prolific brand USB-to-Serial driver versions I could find and, one by one, methodically installed/uninstalled until I got one that worked.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. The Prolific driver that finally worked is: ver. 2.0.2.5 (year 2006).

Radio I'm programming is Icom CS-F4011 .......... Good luck!

gmrsoutlet

FYI: I had to try multiple versions of the Prolific (brand) USB-to-Serial cable drivers before I found one that worked. The original cable and driver CDROM supplied by my reputable vendor should have worked (but didn't)...

Apparently there are problems getting the correct USB-to-serial driver version that will actually work for your respective system (WIN XP, VISTA, W2K, etc.).

Using original cable/driver, I tried four different machines, three diff. OSs, all with no luck... Finally, I downloaded as many Prolific brand USB-to-Serial driver versions I could find and, one by one, methodically installed/uninstalled until I got one that worked.

I'm running Windows XP SP3. The Prolific driver that finally worked is: ver. 2.0.2.5 (year 2006).

Radio I'm programming is Icom CS-F4011 .......... Good luck!

Yes there was a new version of the Prolific drives that has been circulating that is just plain bad. It doesn't work and has been a big frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.