Icom: ICOM IC-2730A remote head installation

Robbie1984

G'day everyone well my ICOM IC-2730A arrived in the mail yesterday and is an impressive bit of kit I sprung extra for the mobile mounting bracket to make installation under my rav4 drivers seat easier

Only downside is that the mounting bracket for the control panel is also a separate part requiring additional purchase

As much as it's tempting I'm not keen on ordering given its got a suction feature like mobile phone car holster is there an alternative like a l shaped bracket stuck to the dashboard or something along those lines

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
The 2730A control head has two little metric mounting screws in the back. You can fabricate a custom mounting plate out of the material of your choice and then either mount it directly or affix it to another bracket. I mounted mine using a cellphone AMPS clamshell bracket.

You can also consider using 3M control strips (strong adhesive strips with Velcro) or Gorilla Tape.

k6cpo

I attached a bracket from Yaesu to a ProClip cell phone mount for my FTM-500. It works very well. You might be able to do something similar with the 2730 bracket and a ProClip mount for your RAV4.

Robbie1984

Thanks for the ideas k6cpo and ladn I've just done some research into possible solutions and noticed that Supercheap Auto in Mount Gambier sell a mobile phone holder that may suit what i'm looking for I'll be sussing it out on Monday question is will it securely fit my 2730A remote head without the need for a custom bracket

Robbie1984

G'day everyone once again a big thanks to ladn and k6cpo for their constructive ideas I went to autobarn and bunnings whilst in town today and got a mobile phone holster and a bunch of Velcro strip's as well as double sided tape

Pictured is my initial prototype hopefully it will be permanent if not I'll go with a l shaped bracket with Velcro strip's to hold the remote head into place and screw the bracket into my dash mount

I had to use photo room to make it smaller

Attachments

• Photoroom-20240701_170032.jpg
    Photoroom-20240701_170032.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 11

Robbie1984

After 2 and abit hours including some troubleshooting as to why my radio wasn't turning on which ended up being a simple mistake not plugging one end into remote unit :ROFLMAO: it is now operational

I still have some general tidying up to do,external speaker to purchase and mic clip to install but for now it's in trial phase

Attachments

• 20240702_162128.jpg
    20240702_162128.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 8

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
@Robbie1984 -even though it's winter for you, you should take into consideration your summer temps and how those temps might affect the control head sitting on top of the dash, exposed and unprotected.

In my 2018 4Runner, I mounted the control head below the infotainment center, with the (rather wonky) mic hang up slightly off to the right. This keeps it mostly out of direct sunlight as well as making it less of a potential target for thieves.

My radio box is mounted under the driver side seat and the radio is powered directly from the battery via an underhood relay and dash mounted OEM style pushbutton switch (from Air On Board).

Robbie1984

@Robbie1984 -even though it's winter for you, you should take into consideration your summer temps and how those temps might affect the control head sitting on top of the dash, exposed and unprotected.

In my 2018 4Runner, I mounted the control head below the infotainment center, with the (rather wonky) mic hang up slightly off to the right. This keeps it mostly out of direct sunlight as well as making it less of a potential target for thieves.

My radio box is mounted under the driver side seat and the radio is powered directly from the battery via an underhood relay and dash mounted OEM style pushbutton switch (from Air On Board).
Thanks for the advice ladn i actually had to re-pivot the mobile holster this morning after getting home from dropping mum off at her volunteer work in Penola as the above pictured position caused uneven weight distribution resulting in suction cup becoming unstuck surely enough I was able to re-pivot it right down to eye level resulting in equal weight and suction being more firm/secure my initial plan was to install the microphone hook early this morning but due to having a overnight temp of -0.8 I had to wait for my car's interior to warm up before doing that

My main radio box is also under drivers seat and hooked directly up to the battery given past struggles with feeding both my UHF CB and VHF marine radio power leads through the very very narrow fire wall grommet hole up underneath the battery I extended the 2730A lead by using red/black auto wire and fed it from inside into bonnet area clipping required length and crimping battery connector pieces and hooking it up before dong the same inside the crew cab to get it powered