Icom IC-PCR1000 - best software and power supply voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8tzl2004

It looks like my Palm IIIxe has suffered some pin corrosion probably due to rechargeable battery leakage.

The on/off switch is still a bit intermittent and there is some low level green corrosion on the 10 accessory pins.

I think the original inverter whine was from the backlight electronics although it was not illuminating. I can switch on the Palm IIIxe but the switch is intermittent. However I cannot enable the backlight. I probably need to open the Palm and use some contact cleaner on the power switch and accessory pins :(

g8tzl2004

The Palm IIIxe is now working...but I almost gave up!!

I think the unit must have been stored upside down as there was extensive blue/green cooper track and thru pin corrosion around the battery area and beyond :( The inside of the battery cover was clean so gravity must have been in the opposite direction. I cleaned up the on/off switch pad and the other key pads and the accessory pins but many thru pins were corroded and there is not much that can be done to clean them up. It took 2 dismantles to get it working OK and I don't really know what finally fixed it after the initial clean up using switch cleaner failed with the unit not initially powering up...maybe flexing the PCB to remove it again helped??

Interestingly the Palm IIIxe was assembled in Mexico but the internal PCB's were made by Samsung in Korea. The Palm III was Made in the USA :)

Last edited:

merlin

Maybe an old post. but my observations.
The version 2.2 is what I use on Win 10, very nice GUI and use the panel mode.
The OEM power supply is a generic wall wart supplies 12 volt at 750 Ma. I am running mine from a newer SMPS, 12 V @ 1.5 amp.
When the box is working, it does run quite warm, especially with the UT-106. Still, you should be able to hold your hand on the box indefinitely
without injury.

Attachments

• Screenshot (663).png
    Screenshot (663).png
    178.9 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.