R5 Icom ic-r5 (need help with antenna)

52kjh

Hi, I need help with some antenna options for my icom ic-r5. The antenna is broken in half but the device works, just need a new antenna. Im new to this so I dont fully understand how to find a good antenna. Its a SMA connector I think. I want to able to recieve on as many frequencies as possible they dont have to sound perfect but want a wide frequency range. I think the ic-r5 can recieve 0.150–1309.995MHz. Is there a antenna for all those frequencies or do you need different antennas? I want to hear 27mhz, 31mhz, 155mhz, FM Radio, AM Radio and PMR (446mhz) atleast. Also if its possible air traffic but you need a different antenna for that, right?. It has a buit-in ferrite rod antenna, what does that do exactly?

G7RUX

Antennas will typically be designed and most efficient on one frequency or band, with reasonable performance on (odd) harmonics, to a degree. There is no such thing as an "all band" antenna which has any appreciable efficiency.

That said, the 155 and 446 MHz stuff will probably be served reasonably well with a half-decent 2/70 amateur antenna and you'll probably find something OK for the 27 and 31 MHz bands.

Personally I would be making antennas with some stiff, springy wire and SMA plugs (cheap, straightforward and very good learning!) but if you wanted to buy something to get started then a decent telescopic antenna would be a good starting point (you can change the length to tune it); something like the NooElec ANT500 isn't terrible, if a bit pricey. Something like this might be a good bet and pretty cheap.

longbch

Mostly Scanner Listener, AM and SWL
Hi, I need help with some antenna options for my icom ic-r5. The antenna is broken in half but the device works, just need a new antenna. Im new to this so I dont fully understand how to find a good antenna. Its a SMA connector I think. I want to able to recieve on as many frequencies as possible they dont have to sound perfect but want a wide frequency range. I think the ic-r5 can recieve 0.150–1309.995MHz. Is there a antenna for all those frequencies or do you need different antennas? I want to hear 27mhz, 31mhz, 155mhz, FM Radio, AM Radio and PMR (446mhz) atleast. Also if its possible air traffic but you need a different antenna for that, right?. It has a buit-in ferrite rod antenna, what does that do exactly?
Hello,

I've had several of the Icom R radios and currently have the R6. I've also used several types of antennas for monitoring and have settled on using a dual band ham antenna like the 8 inch Diamond SRH519 and a longer 16 inch antenna for air and marine monitoring. The longer antenna will be better at picking up shortwave signals, but don't expect the R5 to pick up shortwave like a dedicated SW receiver.

I think any generic SMA male antenna will work for the two different lengths. No need to buy something expensive. I'd recommend keeping the antenna thin, light and flexible for this little radio. If I were buying only one antenna, I'd get the shorter 6 or 8 inch antenna that was thin and flexible so I could use the radio easily at home and away, and then buying a longer antenna like the Nagoya NA-771 15.5 inch antenna for when better gain is needed.

I use the internal ferrite bar antenna to receive AM broadcasters, but you will probably only hear the local AM broadcasters with the R5.

Kelly

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
I recently parted with my R6, but the Comet HT-55 SMA antenna gave me great results on VHF air, excellent on commercial VHF / UHF bands, good on amateur VHF / UHF, and excellent on NOAA weather freqs. (Not surprising, as it's tuned for 150 MHz / 460 MHz range.)

Honestly, the stock Icom antenna itself does a really great job on VHF / UHF air, great on amateur VHF / UHF freqs. (to be expected), and decent performance on commercial VHF/UHF.

I probably ran the HT-55 antenna on the R6 about 95% of the time. And what's nice is that it's light and doesn't make the radio top heavy and prone to tipping over. They run about $30 or so, and you can find them at places like HRO, etc.

Hand-Held Antennas | Comet Antenna

All that being said, like others mentioned, you'll need a more specific antenna for the VHF low-band stuff at 27 and 31 MHz that you want to monitor.

52kjh

Hello,

I've had several of the Icom R radios and currently have the R6. I've also used several types of antennas for monitoring and have settled on using a dual band ham antenna like the 8 inch Diamond SRH519 and a longer 16 inch antenna for air and marine monitoring. The longer antenna will be better at picking up shortwave signals, but don't expect the R5 to pick up shortwave like a dedicated SW receiver.

I think any generic SMA male antenna will work for the two different lengths. No need to buy something expensive. I'd recommend keeping the antenna thin, light and flexible for this little radio. If I were buying only one antenna, I'd get the shorter 6 or 8 inch antenna that was thin and flexible so I could use the radio easily at home and away, and then buying a longer antenna like the Nagoya NA-771 15.5 inch antenna for when better gain is needed.

I use the internal ferrite bar antenna to receive AM broadcasters, but you will probably only hear the local AM broadcasters with the R5.

Kelly
I used the extra antenna from my 31mhz hunting radio and it worked great on AM, I was able to hear russian, american, british and some arabic channels too I think. The diamond antennas you are talking about doesnt exist here in Europe, and its very expensive to import from the US. Do you know any alternatives?

longbch

Mostly Scanner Listener, AM and SWL
I used the extra antenna from my 31mhz hunting radio and it worked great on AM, I was able to hear russian, american, british and some arabic channels too I think. The diamond antennas you are talking about doesnt exist here in Europe, and its very expensive to import from the US. Do you know any alternatives?
I’d get an antenna that is from 6 to 8 inches long with a male SMA connection for a start. Get ham radio dual band antenna that is made of a thick rubber coated wire that is flexible. That will make the radio nice to carry and use. I think any cheap antenna that cost about $20 (US) would be okay.

G7RUX

Diamond antennas are most definitely available in most of Europe, whereabouts are you?