R9000 ICOM IC-R9000

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Hi All.

I have always had my eye on an "Unblocked" ICOM IC-R9000.

In its day, it was the premier receiver to have.

There are still a few used units around for purchase, but who know how well they function, or if they can be repaired if necessary.

So... Which ICOM receiver comes closest to its functioinality now-a-days ? Is it the 7500 ?

Thanks !

RFI-EMI-GUY

Hi All.

I have always had my eye on an "Unblocked" ICOM IC-R9000.

In its day, it was the premier receiver to have.

There are still a few used units around for purchase, but who know how well they function, or if they can be repaired if necessary.

So... Which ICOM receiver comes closest to its functioinality now-a-days ? Is it the 7500 ?

Thanks !
I personally own one since new. They function superbly. They are repairable, though they are very complex receivers. I am keeping mine and not upgrading, frankly because I have fat fingers and poor eyes so the newer "tinier" receivers are not that attractive to me because they have multi-function menu buttons and small display.

There are radios privately owned like mine and many more that are ex government surplus that probably have had continuous operation and thus screen burn in and poor operation.

Some owners have recapped these radios entirely which to me seems a bit risky. I would recommend repair rather than throwing a lot of effort into recapping and causing other faults. I have recapped the power supply of mine though it really had no issues at the time.

You should look to buy an unmodified unit from a SK estate.

I own this support group; Fire away!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
The R8600 is the current premier receiver from Icom. The closest to the 9000 would be the R9500, but the R8600 seems to do just about everything the 9500 does at a quarter the price.
I have both a R8600 and R9500. The R9500 has a far better tuning knob, larger display (not touch screen), mumerical keypad (nicer than touchscreen only on the R8600), and less cramped more easily accessible front panel. in my appraisal of them, I would trade though an R9500 for two R8600.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I have both a R8600 and R9500. The R9500 has a far better tuning knob, larger display (not touch screen), mumerical keypad (nicer than touchscreen only on the R8600), and less cramped more easily accessible front panel. in my appraisal of them, I would trade though an R9500 for two R85600.
Having two receivers is definately a plus. I had an R7000 and R71A prior to buying the ICR-9000 and I did miss the ability to park the HF radio on activity and tune in UHF military on the other. At the time I was in Miami with AWACS active on DEA ops. Once they were surveilling a boat docking at a home with davits in the waterway in Coral Gables and I jumped on my bike to see the action.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I have both a R8600 and R9500. The R9500 has a far better tuning knob, larger display (not touch screen), mumerical keypad (nicer than touchscreen only on the R8600), and less cramped more easily accessible front panel. in my appraisal of them, I would trade though an R9500 for two R85600.
You are absolutely right on all counts except that the R9500 costs about as much as 5.5 R8600's. I would happily go to HRO and buy a second R8600, trade you both then sell the 9500 and get another 8600, with a ton left over! :)

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
You are absolutely right on all counts except that the R9500 costs about as much as 5.5 R8600's. I would happily go to HRO and buy a second R8600, trade you both then sell the 9500 and get another 8600, with a ton left over! :)
I was not referring to actual dollars but what I would consider a fair trade. I did get the R9500 some years ago for only a little more than what is now half the current price. It was owned by a guy for 2 weeks before his family committed him (true story).

RFI-EMI-GUY

I was not referring to actual dollars but what I would consider a fair trade. I did get the R9500 some years ago for only a little more than what is now half the current price. It was owned by a guy for 2 weeks before his family committed him (true story).
Wow, the family had him committed and he could not enjoy his toy? Cruel!

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Wow, the family had him committed and he could not enjoy his toy? Cruel!

I was not given a reason. They foolishly discounted the price as they could not find the manual (a pdf is on line) nor the power cord (same as on most PCs. They later found them and sent them to me. I bought it from consignment from HRO (I was in the Woodbridge store and they shipped it from a CA store).