Icom R75 Vs Alinco DX R8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo68

Hi Hertzian been using a BHI NES10-2 MK3 DSP Noise Eliminating Speaker on my Alinco DX-R8 what a difference it makes sounds like my Icom-R75 with the dsp board have also tried the speaker on other radios including my other Icom-R75 with no dsp board very happy with the results..

Regards Lino..

nanZor

I'll have to look at the BHI unit. I used to run a Timewave DSP-599zx, but it pulls more than 3 times the current that the Alinco alone does. :)

The R75 dsp is useful - normally I just tickle the top end with it, and the auto notch works ok if someone is right on top of you. Handy to have for sure, but the lack of noise filtering in the Alinco isn't a showstopper.

I've got a collins mechanical 2.4khz sitting around from another project, so I might solder that in and see how it goes....

Interestingly enough, I found that the internal speaker on the Alinco sounds better than the R75's speaker for ssb/cw. Problem is, mine will vibrate the case, or go resonant on some low frequencies, so I keep it kind of low - still very usable for what it is at low volume levels. Then again, I'm not really going to discount either receiver's fidelity with 1-2 inch speakers. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

Filter flexibility

Took the board out of the Alinco (20 screws or so later...) and was about to solder in the spare collins mechanical for ssb. Running late so will have to do it another day. However I saw good soldering, and the solder-bridge tabs were right next to the spare filter holes for mechanical filters which should make the job very easy.

Like the 718, this all has to be soldered in, and not just easily socketed like the R75.

Did some more investigation, and saw that both the Alinco and the Icom 718 use the Murata CFJ455K-5 filter for ssb. An affordable upgrade would be to replace it with the CJF455K-12 (or V12) series if you can find them. (steeper skirts than the -5.) This upgrade to the -12 series was done on early Kenwood 830's, 930's, and 940's.

The R75 also uses the CFJ455K-5 for ssb, but is also preceded by a 9mhz IF crystal filter. No wonder it has better selectivity in stock form.

OH, and you can use the narrow 2.4khz ssb filter on the Alinco for narrow am filtering - you just have to tune off frequency by 1 - 1.5 khz, and accept a little less signal strength and fidelity, but it is an option if you don't want to do ECSSB on am.

If you don't mind soldering, the Alinco has plenty of room to accomodate 3 upgraded filters should you want to do so. So both the Icom R75 and Alinco DX-R8 are very flexible in this regard - it's just a lot easier and more effective on the R75.

Owning and using both of them, it really comes down to the R75 being in another price/performance bracket entirely, and the Alinco being nearest to the capabilities of the Icom 718. One wonders if Icom couldn't do the same as Alinco, and strip the transmit guts out of the 718, maybe put in a CFJ455K-12 (instead of the -5) and offer an economy receiver model.

That being said, 95% of what I do on the Icom R75 can be done on the Alinco DX-R8 - it just takes a bit more button pushing and knob twirling. :)

nanZor

New Filters installed

I swapped out the stock Murata ceramic filters for Collins mechanical types. The 500hz cw filter was a perfect fit into the pre-drilled holes, whereas the slightly larger 2.3khz mechanical required some coax jumpers. To the left is AM filter, which I left alone.

The filters are very easy to access, so you could customize it to your needs from various filter vendors. Just be sure you have the proper desoldering tools. Do NOT try this with a 30watt iron and some solder wick - the filter cans and wick will drag away all the heat making the job a nightmare. Use good tools for removal.

I'm not trying to make this into a contest receiver, and most probably won't need them. I was quite happy with the stock setup, but wanted just a wee bit smoother response for those long monitoring sessions behind headphones. Of course right out of the gate, the 500hz cw filter made a big difference in selectivity, although in non-contest situations, the cw audio filter did fine.

Attachments

• filters.jpg
    filters.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4,393

aocsgil

Alinco Replacement filters

Hertzian ,

Thanks for the info on the filters in the DX-R8....I removed and replaced the SSB CFK455J-5 (2.4) with the CFK455J-12 (2.9)....I left the AM filter W55G (9kHz) alone as there are not to many AM stations that close together anymore and the 9kHz gives good fidelity. However I do have a Kiwa blue dot AM filter (6.8)
just incase I might need at a later date....I also left the stock CW filter alone as the (1 kHz) is not bad.

You are right about NOT using a 30 watt iron and solder wick, I had to have help desoldering as the holes where the pins of the filter go into the circuit board are VERY TIGHT...It was a job removing the old filter! I would recommend having someone else do the filter swap unless you have quality soldering tools and are very experienced at soldering circuit boards. Just my opinion.....

Anyway I am happy with the results, wasn't a big change but just enough to make it a little bit better on AM narrow and SSB. I love the Alinco dx-r8 , for me it's a keeper and a nice little receiver for SWL..

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpg
    IMG_0335.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 3,669

nanZor

Nice update and pic - I don't know how I missed it.

One thing I seem to forget is when I switch from ssb to cw, and have the IF shift moved even just the tiniest bit off center, I'll wonder why cw sounds a bit strange. Moving the if shift around, even just the tiniest bit really helps on cw copy, especially if you have the 1khz crystal filter followed by the 500hz cw audio filter.

aocsgil

Thanks Hertzian for the positive comment.

I don't listen to cw very much...However I must say that the IF Shift is very effective and makes the DX-R8 an excellent receiver. I do use it frequently on AM nar,SSB and SSB nar with superb results.

I have posted a review,for what it is worth, on the Alinco DX-R8T on "eham.net".

Also I recently purchased a Palstar SP30B communications external speaker (4"speaker/5w) I found that it reproduces a Full sound accenting the lower mid-range. This to my ears is very pleasant and less fatiguing to listen to. I highly recommend.

nanZor

Thanks for the tip on the Palstar speaker! I will look into that one - with an upper end of only 8K, this seems to be a real comms speaker that allows for pleasant music reproduction, though obviously not full spectrum - being somewhat narrow I like for shortwave uses. I'll check it out for sure. I'm currently using a Yaesu SP-8 which does nicely, but I'm always on the lookout.

I am familiar with the fatigue - I am very sensitive to audio amplifier high-end hiss, and an 8K cutoff makes that much more tolerable - even when the rig might have a high and lowpass audio adjustment - at low levels I can sometimes *still* hear it sneaking through in the background. Fortunately, the Alinco is pretty clean, so I can listen for long times, but I'll think about the Palstar.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Alinco hinted that an updated version of the tabletop DX-R8T is on the way, the DX-R9(T). It will have the same form factor of the DX-R8T, but the receiver will be built around Collins mechanical filters, which will be much easier to replace than the current ones in the DX-R8T. I’ll post an announcement when the DX-R9 is in production."

The 2013 Dayton Hamvention | The SWLing Post

Looks like a DX R9 may be in the works, based off the T

DX-SR9T Detail information

nanZor

Fingers crossed that the new units allow for user-adjustable KNOB dial resolution beyond the fixed sloooow rate. I'm wearing out my up/down buttons even for just casual band operations. Not a showstopper, but frustrating at times leading me back to other rigs with selectable vfo dial rates.

nanZor

Looks fun.

Unfortunately, I don't like being tied to a single operating system. Maybe if that ran under Wine for Gnu/Linux, or have a native port for mac even, I might be interested. For now, it's fluff. But that's just me.

It is apparent that the designer really favors CW, as the inclusion of a 1k ceramic followed by a 500hz audio filter, along with extremely slow vfo knob tuning suits that type of operation. Which is nice, but the assumption that ssb is better suited primarily to memories or other channelized operations (perhaps to suit export versions of these inexpensive hf radios to that market) is also apparent. A simple switch to simply double the current vfo tuning rate would be most welcome for those of us that like to use the VFO primarily.

But thanks for the updated information! It is always interesting.

on2ron

BenFX, I do not agree with your statement that the Sangean ATS909X ssb reception is better. I also have one and had a R75 on visit last week and compared all three simultaious on the same antenna. The R75 is the best, but not by a big margin and has more features and functionality. The Sangean ATS-909X is reacting bad to decent size and active antennas by showing lots if IMD products and is not designed for this kind of operation. I place the Alinco DX-R8 in the simple but good radio class, as there are the Palstar A-30 wich is more expensive, but no it is not as good as the R75. It is sensitive end selective where the narrow band function is good for real dx and not pleasant to hear to, but it shure is effective at digging out small compromised signals. I find it a real good budget radio for the current street price in Europe €398. It also has a detachable front wich comes in handy when you have not enaugh real estate on your desk. Wich of the other radios has a IQ-out and can be handled by a pc to get more funtionality and a DSP that is effective?

Deboradio

Well, I just received my DX SR8E yesterday....There is still a lot to learn, but I am quite happy with its stylish appearance and solid build. Also, the small speaker is not as bad as some reviewers say. I also got the PSU 1228 power supply unit to power it up, which also another solidly built and stylish unit.

The tuning knob doesn't wobble...which is good. The beep is annoying but I silenced it.

N8IAA

BenFX, I do not agree with your statement that the Sangean ATS909X ssb reception is better. I also have one and had a R75 on visit last week and compared all three simultaious on the same antenna. The R75 is the best, but not by a big margin and has more features and functionality. The Sangean ATS-909X is reacting bad to decent size and active antennas by showing lots if IMD products and is not designed for this kind of operation. I place the Alinco DX-R8 in the simple but good radio class, as there are the Palstar A-30 wich is more expensive, but no it is not as good as the R75. It is sensitive end selective where the narrow band function is good for real dx and not pleasant to hear to, but it shure is effective at digging out small compromised signals. I find it a real good budget radio for the current street price in Europe €398. It also has a detachable front wich comes in handy when you have not enaugh real estate on your desk. Wich of the other radios has a IQ-out and can be handled by a pc to get more funtionality and a DSP that is effective?

BenFX hasn't been on for over 3 and a half years.
Larry

glyell

Alinco DX-R8T

I just purchased one of these and I can say I like it pretty well. It seems to work well and it looks good. My tuning knob has very little movement in it. I thought about getting a Icom R75, but they have been discontinued now I couldn't find one new. Also I didn't want to take a chance and pay $500+ for a used R75 you don't what you may get.

So, I decided on the Alinco. For me, What I do not like is the IF shift is disabled in AM mode! there have been times I could have used that with some Shortwave stations. Also, this is a SHORTWAVE RECEIVER ALINCO! NOT YOUR HAM TRANSCEIVER! The DX-R8T should be different than the DX-SR8T. The DX-R8T has to many features that emphasize Ham Use.

I don't know if there ever will be a firmware update, or if you can even update the FW. I hope so. But I got mine for $419 with 2 year warranty so not bad. It alows me to listen to what I want to hear.

Also in my little bitty shack. I have a fully restored Drake R8 that looks and works like Brand new. It's a great receiver. If I find something on the alinco I want to hear, and has a station close by, I just turn on the Drake and use all the filters and the passband. It works in ALL modes!

Oh, I also use a West Mountain Radio CLR/DSP box with both my Drake and Alinco radios. Makes a big difference. I run both radios with a Alpha Delta DX-Ultra Antenna.

anthros

So, I decided on the Alinco. For me, What I do not like is the IF shift is disabled in AM mode! there have been times I could have used that with some Shortwave stations. Also, this is a SHORTWAVE RECEIVER ALINCO! NOT YOUR HAM TRANSCEIVER! The DX-R8T should be different than the DX-SR8T. The DX-R8T has to many features that emphasize Ham Use. .

In fact IF shift does work in AM mode, but only in narrow bandwidth with moderate impact. back in 2013 when I bought this radio and hooked it up to HDSDR I was very happy with it. It is still a gem from 50khz through LW and MW. For SW though, there are cheaper alternatives with equal performance EG. Funcube dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.