Ics-217a

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolohe4u

Newbie
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Does anyone have a way to easily convert the databases to a format that could be copied directly into the document listed in the title? It seems there is a standard excel sheet available on several web sites that could be integrated into this site. This would help in the development of communications plans during an emergency
 

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Joined
May 16, 2003
Messages
798
Reaction score
20
Location
Northwest KS
On the surface, a good idea. With further reflection, I don't know that I like it. Here's why:

As a person who builds 217's for incidents, and who works major incidents within the ICS structure in communications, I would be very VERY cautious about using data from this (or any other) website in building a 217a. 217's should be built with data that comes from a verified source with firsthand knowledge of the accuracy of that data specifically related to the incident you are assigned to.

I love this site, and firmly believe we have some of the most accurate information available to the public. However, as an Admin, I know for a fact that bad data slips through the cracks, and gets caught and corrected farther down the line. I do not want to hang my reputation or the safety of my line personnel on the possibility of corrupt data inadvertantly making it into incident radios. I'm also not sure that the senior staff of this site will want to take on that (potential) liability. Right now, how you use this data is on your head. If the staff makes an 'instant-fill' bridge to build ICS217a's, there is the possibility (I said possibility, since I'm not a lawyer and don't know for certain) that could create a greater expectation of accuracy and responsiblity for the data; therefore making the owner of the site legally responsible for the data since a method was created to specifically generate a fire-operations document.

Now, with that being said, I have used database information to confirm shaky information I received from other people, or to confirm data I receive from an unverified source. I have been able to look very smart to my COML when he asks a question about an obscure frequency issue, and I can pop up within a few moments with an answer. But once again, I always verify verify verify.

Just my two cents worth...YMMV.
 

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
17,247
Reaction score
16,975
Location
BEE00
This feature already exists. There is a report of all indentified frequencies in .csv format available for download for every county and agency in the database. It can be found on the Downloads and Reports tab. This is a feature available to Premium Subscribers only.

That being said, I absolutely agree with duster. Relying on a scanning hobbyist website to create official documents or communication policy is a very bad idea. All of the data in the database comes from end-users, many of them hobbyists of all ages and backgrounds, some of whom have little to no experience in public safety and may not even fully comprehend what they are listening to. While their submissions to the database are almost assuredly well meaning, you still wind up with incorrect data.

Go through official channels if you need to create interop/mutual aid communication plans. Don't take chances with data that comes from Joe Public and may not be accurate.
 

kolohe4u

Newbie
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I agree with you both 100% about not relying on the data provided. I was not completely clear in my question I guess. The best place to get the data from is the local authority however, if one were responding to an unfamiliar area, couldn’t he/she at least begin to develop the 217 and then verify its accuracy with the local knowledge base? This would facilitate the development of the final 205 quicker as, if there are corrections to the 217, they could be identified and corrected quickly. I’m all still very new to this but it seems that any kind of pre-planning would be a huge bonus. Grabbing an agencies written TICP/EOP with their available frequencies printed on paper would slow the development process considerably (realizing that all agencies do not have a listing of their frequencies in digital format). And as always, verify, verify, verify. Thanks for the response. The more we ask, The more we learn......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top