idea for improving the 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycap

if anyone from uniden is listening:

given the amount of traffic that is now encrypted, i was thinking that a traffic analysis tool would be a big draw. a tool incorporated into the 396xt that would log stats like date/time/freq/mod/algorithim/nac/radio id/transmition time/ and such. id definately buy one.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

given the amount of traffic that is now encrypted, i was thinking that a traffic analysis tool would be a big draw. a tool incorporated into the 396xt that would log stats like date/time/freq/mod/algorithim/nac/radio id/transmition time/ and such. id definately buy one.

HomePatrol Extreme gives logging capability similar to what is described above.
And it is available to any HomePatrol User that wants those logging capabilities.
Marshall KE4ZNR

nycap

HomePatrol Extreme gives logging capability similar to what is described above.
And it is available to any HomePatrol User that wants those logging capabilities.
Marshall KE4ZNR

with all due respect my friend; homepatrol will not give you NACs, radio IDs, or other important data in the digal packet stream of a P25 transmition. and the hit logger is not sufficeint for traffic analysis. as far as i can tell the "extreme upgrade" mainly makes listening to trunked systems a litle more easy? but if the buyer is that lazy why wouldnt they just put the feed on their smart phone?

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
I am facinated by the lack of respect some posters have for each other in these forums. An attempt to be helpful from one results in a slur from the other...happens a lot in these forums.
"With all due respect" we didn't buy the HP because we are too lazy to learn DMA and trunking protocols. Most of us are interested in the new technology. I know I am not lazy and thouroghly enjoy my HP's advanced features.
A little kindness goes a long way.

W9NES

It would be a great idea if Upman would listen to the request and Send out a Update for the Uniden 396XT to monitor TDMA. I own a Unden 396XT and have no problems hearing everyting that I need to hear except Metro Indianapolis (MECA) which is now IDPS Communications. The Uniden Home Patrol will not monitor TDMA Systems.*** When professional users like myself pay good money for a scanner like a Uniden 396XT or a Home Patrol TDMA should be included. Some of us listen to the scanner 24/7/365 and Uniden should consider that the next time they release a 800Mhz Digital scanner.***

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It would be a great idea if Upman would listen to the request and Send out a Update for the Uniden 396XT to monitor TDMA. I own a Unden 396XT and have no problems hearing everyting that I need to hear except Metro Indianapolis (MECA) which is now IDPS Communications. The Uniden Home Patrol will not monitor TDMA Systems.*** When professional users like myself pay good money for a scanner like a Uniden 396XT or a Home Patrol TDMA should be included. Some of us listen to the scanner 24/7/365 and Uniden should consider that the next time they release a 800Mhz Digital scanner.***

Tim, this has been explained over and over again, including by Paul "UPMan" Opitz himself.

There will be no "update" for the existing Uniden scanners to make them TDMA capable. That requires all new hardware, not simply a "firmware fix".

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/218460-bcd996xt-still-ver-1-04-a-2.html#post1593347

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...gton-tx-we-have-problem-tdma.html#post1590098

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...homepatrol-1-extreme-upgrade.html#post1575242

W9NES

You did not understand once again.If Uniden would make the Uniden 396XT and The Home Patrol to be TDMA this would be a great thing.Uniden is not making scanners that are TDMA.As it was posted you did not read the full post.The Uniden 396XT and The Home Patrol WILL NOT DO TDMA .That is the problem.

OCO

It would be a great idea if Upman would listen to the request and Send out a Update for the Uniden 396XT to monitor TDMA.

So "send out a update" is supposed to mean the same thing as "release a new version/model" ??? Uhh, not up here in Michigan........:roll:

W2PMX

You did not understand once again.If Uniden would make the Uniden 396XT and The Home Patrol to be TDMA
You don't understand. That would require replacing parts (many parts) and no manufacturer does that for free.
Uniden is not making scanners that are TDMA
Not yet. So far, only Motorola has actual TDMA systems in operation. If the industry goes in a different direction, the PSR-800 (the only scanner out that does TDMA) may not work on them, even with a firmware update. I think that waiting for at least one working system before finalizing the design is a good decision. (Even though I want that new Uniden scanner so badly right now.)
The Uniden 396XT and The Home Patrol WILL NOT DO TDMA .That is the problem.
Why is it a problem? They were designed before there were TDMA systems to test them on, so they don't include the hardware to decode those systems. Neither does my RS Pro-95. Does RS have to put new hardware in the case so that it will?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Okay so forget about TDMA for the moment because we all know that isn't coming for some time...

The biggest improvement Uniden could make to the BCD396XT is to build in a small GPS receiver, much like the one used on the Kenwood TH-D72A amateur radio.

This would allow those with large systems to turn on/off sites as they travelled around with out the need for the mess of wiring, external devices, etc.

Secondly, the could replace that color switchable LCD with a small light on the top-front of the chassis that can be set to any color and then leave the LCD the standard white color. Then you can have the light display Red for Fire, Blue for Police, while conserving battery power and only illuminating the small LED; however, they should leave the selection up to the user, in case someone wants the LED & LCD to be on during a call...

Just my thoughts; the BCD396XT is an awesome scanner; but here in Michigan, it REALLY needs the internal GPS receiver...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Much as it's interesting to read about what folks want as improvements, recent history seems to be that Uniden is putting all its scanner-related eggs into the Home Patrol basket, and have (at least for now) pretty much abandoned the T/XT scanners.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong - however history simply doesn't lie.....best regards...Mike

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
we already know the 396xt/996xt/hp-1 will NOT do TDMA

im guessing uniden is waiting to perfect the TDMA decoding then release a 396XTD or 396XTDMA
or something similar. rather then be like the competitor who only officially states thier unit does TDMA X2, and no comment on a full TDMA from the company (that I have seen)

untill then ill add for future units...

more talkgroup memory - 500 is a lot but adding unit id's gets you over that very quickly
add a GPS internally to the units (mostly the HP-1)... GPS modules are CHEAP
ADD ORANGE.... how come no orange backlight on the digitals? red is not the same in my opinion
a tiny alert LCD would be nice like a blackberry or GRE... yes I know the screen can change colour (great feature) but uses more battery power.
allow a KEY LOCK on the base units like the handhelds have (func power).. too many times people hit the wrong buttons... this would be in addition to the key safe mode that needs the whole unit shut off to accomplish.

W6KRU

Much as it's interesting to read about what folks want as improvements, recent history seems to be that Uniden is putting all its scanner-related eggs into the Home Patrol basket, and have (at least for now) pretty much abandoned the T/XT scanners.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong - however history simply doesn't lie.....best regards...Mike

I'm afraid you are correct Mike. Due to Uniden's lack of support my 396XT will forever be an annoying reminder of Uniden"s unfulfilled marketing hype preceding it's release. I would never buy an HP because of my 396XT experience.

nycap

I am facinated by the lack of respect some posters have for each other in these forums. An attempt to be helpful from one results in a slur from the other...happens a lot in these forums.
"With all due respect" we didn't buy the HP because we are too lazy to learn DMA and trunking protocols. Most of us are interested in the new technology. I know I am not lazy and thouroghly enjoy my HP's advanced features.
A little kindness goes a long way.

please excuse me if came off wrong; its not my intention. its just that many times ill ask a question and then ill get an answer from someone that assumes that i am ignorant or havnt looked into what im talking about when its clear that it is the other way around. i try to do my research before posting here and asking for others time/knowledge. again no offense intended.

i am going ot stick to what i said before: i think uniden should put P25 sigint capabilities a new handheld.

Last edited:

KD8HE

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate your reply...it is strange that many take differences of opinion as a threat to their intelligence.
I enjoy the variety of inquiries that cross the boards and have a "wish list" too. It is really amazing how many of these technical exchanges become heated...oh well they say you can't discuss religion or politics...maybe we should add scanners to that list. ;-o
Harry

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin

I like the idea, but I don't see it as being practical on the 396XT. The best way to see this information is from UniTrunker using a discriminator output from your radio. Beyond that, you would need to purchase a service monitor for a few kilobucks more than a discriminator tapped radio and PC to monitor with. I think the HP Extreme addition is a great tool that will give you a lot of the visual information about the system, but it won't help you with encrypted information. If you were to incorporate the Extreme software into an XP radio it still wouldn't give you the information you want to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.