Identifying School Bus Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar350

I am puzzled when someone finds something that isn't interesting, and thinks that everyone else should feel the same way as they do.

Just because you don't monitor schools buses or businesses, doesn't make it a rule that it's not interesting.

Scanning is hobby. Part of the scanning hobby is discovering, finding, and researching frequencies, and making "databases." I compile frequencies, tones, and trunked system databases locally, and when I travel. Its fun, and its part of the hobby for some. Just because someone compiles a list of frequencies doesn't mean they sit there and listen to them all day, everyday. Its record keeping, and I often think of it as a puzzle.

Question: Have you ever monitored Fire or Law frequencies and heard a school bus crash be dispatched? Have you ever thought if you heard a bus accident that it might be interesting to tune into the bus frequency and actually hear from the source of whats going on? Its like a behind the scenes.

Maybe someone out there thinks listening to trains is stupid. But the day a train derailment is dispatched on Fire Dispatch, don't you think it is interesting to listen to the trains itself during a derailment? You are going to hear a lot more from the sources mouth than what you will hear on Fire channels. And it can make for some interesting monitoring.

I could go on and on about examples. These two are just to name a few.

End of rant.

I like the record keeping/puzzle analogy
Yes school buses are a good source for road conditions, etc but on a routine basis i find them to be a bit bland but still can definitely be valuable channels to have in a scanner , group and whatnot
Like i say i have found several school bus frequencies "by accident" in which i would be monitoring a frequency that i thought was going to be another agency but they were either not using that specific frequency in question at the time or i just happen to be searching thru the bands or monitoring a trunk system
I think as far as determining the exact bus company or whatever is not completely nessecary but as long as one can determine what area the buses seem to be operating should be sufficient ...

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Yes... i fell the same way too in that scanning is a hobby, and just because one person doest find it interesting doesn't mean everyone should feel the same way as that one person.

I don't want to get off topic to much but when i first saw this comment, I felt little offended. And i felt a little obligated to speak up, for a lot of people scanning is a hobby, and if you don't like it you can chose not to like it but coming here to announce that everyone should fell the same way you do is in my opinion not the right way to do things.

Me personally, when i got my first scanner i just monitored local and fire and PD. Then I decided to monitor all kinds of frequencies, finally one day i wanted to locate and monitor my school frequencies, but they weren't listed in the database under my county, until one day i had to discover the frequencies my self... Like MegaHertz315 said i think of it as a puzzle.

I also keep a recording of all my hits on my scanner, and if there is a car accident near my house i like to go back in my recordings and hear what was dispatched and what happened at the scene.... Like said before many times scanning is a hobby. I digress

Question: Have you ever monitored Fire or Law frequencies and heard a school bus crash be dispatched? Have you ever thought if you heard a bus accident that it might be interesting to tune into the bus frequency and hear from the source of what’s going on? It’s like a behind the scenes.

This happened once to me, I heard chatter on my school frequency of a crash (Bus v. Car), then about 3 mins later I heard the crash dispatched over the FD. It was fun to listen to all the chatter, and all the confusion that came along with it. Part of me wanted to go over to the accident and help with all the confusion…

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
You'll get some of that around here nick

There are a few who are quick to tell you you've gone OT and their opinion as well, no matter how unnecessary it is. Don't let it get you down, most are here to help and offer advice.

D

DaveNF2G

Also OT, I once listened to a power utility frequency where they were giving a blow-by-blow description of the extrication of someone who had driven into and broken off a utility pole.

D

DaveNF2G

I am beginning to suspect that Number 5 on my unidentified list might be Star & Strand. Still investigating.

Status
Not open for further replies.