If you want to learn code, do NOT do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
2,228
Location
Severn, Maryland, USA
Dave,

So, we do need to memorize each character, that makes more sense. I wasn't sure if I was missing something or not.

Thanks for getting back to me!

73, Jim W4PKR

No problem, Jim. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Also, if you need assistance with using any of the Morse Code teaching software, let me know that too.

73, Dave K4EET
 

J_bird

Member
Joined
May 12, 2016
Messages
2
Interesting thread. I'm a new ham (tech license last month, test for gen next week) and am looking to start learning code.

Dave,

Hopefully, in a few months, I'll be ready for some on the air practice........perhaps I can contact you then?

Jim
 

chrissim

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2012
Messages
203
I can't imagine not using code. There are literally a number of rare entities I could not have worked had I not been able to do some level of code. It's especially helpful on days when I'm not in the mood to talk. I now enjoy it more than any other mode.

I started by simply learning how to send and receive my callsign and an exchange at 30 WPM. At first I relied on my transceiver's decoder, but after a few weeks I no longer needed it and It progressed from there. Just listening over time is extremely helpful. Just Learn Morse Code is also very valuable.
 

K4EET

Chaplain
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
2,228
Location
Severn, Maryland, USA
Interesting thread. I'm a new ham (tech license last month, test for gen next week) and am looking to start learning code.

Dave,

Hopefully, in a few months, I'll be ready for some on the air practice........perhaps I can contact you then?

Jim

Jim,

Firstly, welcome to Radio Reference and to ham radio! Congrats on passing the Tech and best wishes as you go for the General ticket. As for code practice, you know where and how to contact me. I would be happy to help you learn and practice Morse Code anytime.

73, Dave K4EET
 

K4EET

Chaplain
Joined
Feb 18, 2015
Messages
2,228
Location
Severn, Maryland, USA
I can't imagine not using code. There are literally a number of rare entities I could not have worked had I not been able to do some level of code. It's especially helpful on days when I'm not in the mood to talk. I now enjoy it more than any other mode.

I started by simply learning how to send and receive my callsign and an exchange at 30 WPM. At first I relied on my transceiver's decoder, but after a few weeks I no longer needed it and It progressed from there. Just listening over time is extremely helpful. Just Learn Morse Code is also very valuable.

chrissim, yes, knowing Morse Code can prove helpful in many ways. I started out 100% code as a Novice licensee in 1974. When I got my General ticket in 1975 I turned into 100% phone. As time went on, I became 50% phone and 50% CW. Now I'm heading towards 80% CW and the other 20% Morse Code. :lol: LOL!!! :lol:

73, Dave K4EET
 

J_bird

Member
Joined
May 12, 2016
Messages
2
Jim,

Firstly, welcome to Radio Reference and to ham radio! Congrats on passing the Tech and best wishes as you go for the General ticket. As for code practice, you know where and how to contact me. I would be happy to help you learn and practice Morse Code anytime.

73, Dave K4EET

Dave,

Thank you for the welcome and offer of practice. I look forward to contacting you in the future!

73,
Jim
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top