IMAP talkgroups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4jgc

I'm confused about the IMAP listings on VIPER. Could someone describe the difference between:
TMC to 911
911 to TMC
IMAP to IMAP (maybe links between IMAP regions?)

The first 2 on the face appear to be almost like full duplex tg's; that can't be right. Should all 3 tg's per region be programmed?

mhodgson

IMAP

There are three types of talk groups...

911 to TMC (local 911 centers relaying info to the Regional Traffic Management Centers ie;TMC's)

TMC to IMAP (TMC's communicating with the IMAP units).

IMAP to IMAP (car to car)

This structure prevents, in theory, the IMAP units getting their information (and instructions) directly from the 911 center which is NOT their dispatch point

I cant speak for whats in the WIKI but I can say that the above is the way it was setup.

There are multiple instances where several 911 centers may feed into the same TMC and likewise, there are situations where a single TMC may be talking to different areas of IMAP units via different TMC to IMAP talk groups.

M

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
IMAP is dispatched from the "State Traffic Operations Center." Raleigh's is located in the same building and same general area (you can actually see one another) where Troop C's dispatch is located.

Others smaller dispatch centers are located in Greensboro and Charlotte.

Flyham

So they aren't dispatched by Troop radio anymore?

Ronnie

It depends. Last instructions that I heard were that the individual SHP comm centers could talk to the IMAP trucks. However if the IMAP services were truly needed (wrecks, disabled motorist, debris in the roadway, etc) then the SHP comm centers would notify the appropriate TMC (traffic management center).

This and a $1.49 will get you a cup a coffee at your favorite gas station!

NwJ

Last edited:

Flyham

There are three types of talk groups...

911 to TMC (local 911 centers relaying info to the Regional Traffic Management Centers ie;TMC's)

TMC to IMAP (TMC's communicating with the IMAP units).

IMAP to IMAP (car to car)

This structure prevents, in theory, the IMAP units getting their information (and instructions) directly from the 911 center which is NOT their dispatch point

I cant speak for whats in the WIKI but I can say that the above is the way it was setup.

There are multiple instances where several 911 centers may feed into the same TMC and likewise, there are situations where a single TMC may be talking to different areas of IMAP units via different TMC to IMAP talk groups.

M

And in some instances, a county or agency that uses it's own comms system, may patch 911 to TMC (local 911 centers relaying info to the Regional Traffic Management Centers ie;TMC's) to a similiar named TG on it's on radio system.

ben94gt

I'm one of the imap dispatchers at the statewide operations center. i can say that in over a year of dispatching ive never once used the 911tmc channels. usually if we talk to a 911 center we just call them or they call us. as a common courtesy shp stays off of our channels and we stay off theres. however i know that in the triad (orange, alamance, guilford, forsyth, davie, and rowan) shp does talk on the imap channels from time to time. at the stoc we do division 5 imap which is wake, and durham with small segments of johnston and granville. all are dispatched off the tmc imwake channel, im to im tri is our ops channel. we also dispatch wilmington area imap off dotcomm1 for the time being, and buncombe county imap from 3pm-6:30pm off tmc imbun. we do talk to the haywood and henderson guys from time to time, but its usually on im to im hay.

oft

Premium Subscriber
ben94gt:

can you please explain your statement:

" we also dispatch wilmington area imap off dotcomm1 for the time being,". I have been trying to find the tgid's for the imap guys in wilmington. What is the "dotcomm1"?

thanks

ben94gt

They are trying to eventually get wilmington imap their own channel, but for now they are on the dot com1 channel. they were originally on tmc imwake, but it was too crowded with division 5 and 3 on the same channel, then they moved to tmc imdur, but they were having reception issues so the got moved to dot com1. its a statewide dot channel, weve used it in the past for imap on I-95 during the snow and things like that. i dont know anything about frequencies and talkgroups and what not, but on our radio chart that shows how our radios are programmed its in zone 7 which is labeled SW IMAP, and its channel 15. the other channels in zone 7 are mecklenburg, catawba, iredell imap and duplicate triangle imap channels.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
On the old Viper system, the IMAP trucks in the Wilmington area were dispatched on the talkgroup NCDOT COMMON 1. I don't think anyone has determined what they are using now on the new P25 system. Based on what is showing up so far, look for a talkgroup ID with something like 518xx when doing a search.

ben94gt

kg4khq,

we switched to p25 last week, they are still on the channel we have labeled as "dot comm1" on the p25 section of our dispatch consoles.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have listed the DOT Common 1 & Common 2 Talkgroups in the database.
Marshall KE4ZNR

ben94gt

i dont know if this helps, but i took a picture of my console with dotcomm1 selected while traffic was going across.

Attachments

• IMG_20140703_152837_593.jpg
    IMG_20140703_152837_593.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 539

ben94gt

They do, and shp in the area dispatches them as well. From 3 to 6:30 they relay all their stops to us as we have to keep them in a logsheet. They do not have anyone in the office to keep track of their logs after 3pm, which is why we have to do it.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Took awhile but I was able to match up IMAP talkgroups from the 4.1 layout to the P25 layout. End result should be a totally accurate IMAP database listing.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
i dont know if this helps, but i took a picture of my console with dotcomm1 selected while traffic was going across.

The good ol' multi-select. Good to see you over here Ben.
I know our "other online home" does not have the same level of interest in this topic :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
IMAP codes

Can any of you advise the list of "vehicle type" and "service rendered" codes? I have done internet searches but have not found these posted anywhere.
Ron

ben94gt

i could tell you what they are on monday when i get back to work. i can tell you the ones i remember just from memeory. type 1= passenger car, 2= truck/suv, 5=single unit truck, 6= tractor trailer. services: 4= removed debris, 5= pushed/pulled vehicle, 6=traffic control, 7=tire, 8= fuel, 22= fluids, 17= unable to locate, 18= no assistance, 24 = checked on welfare.

also, division 5 and 3 just shifted channels. div 5 dispatch is now on 911tmcwak, div5 tac/ops channels are tmcimwake (channel 2), and channel 3 which is one of the channels labeled durham. division 3 is disptached now on channel 4 which is the other durham channel, and their ops channel is channel 5, im to im tri.

Status
Not open for further replies.