• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IMAX 2k

KOK5CY

I had a close friend of mine talk me into buying this great antenna for my house base . Well after buying a 22’ push up pole and raising it up to 50’ and then checking the swr which is a 1.2 on the band . I start transmitting on lower side band and it’s like I’m not making any progress. Before I bought the antenna I read the reviews and the db gain was way more than I expected. I’ve got the pole / antenna 10 ‘ over the roof line and the mast might be 4’ away from the house but I don’t have the mast grounded . My friend told me that I wouldn’t need a ground plane kit but I’m starting to wish I had bought it. I can hear the skip fine but other people can’t hear me and my equipment works perfectly fine. 1 watt dead key , 12 watts of swing on SSB . I spent a lot of money on getting the station running. Just don’t know what to do or think? . Just need to know if I need a better antenna or just work with what I have?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
The vast majority of people you hear are likely using illegal amplifiers. 12w is fine for working DX...people do it on 5w or less all the time on the ham bands...but it is definitely not ideal. You're simply going to be crushed by all the people running illegal amplifiers.

slowmover

40-50W describes an AM/SSB dual-final “Export” radio. Pretty much the start point.

It’s not enough juice to cause problems, but it should be enough to get your running head start. Adjust RF Power to suit.

ANYTONE AT5555-N2
RADIODDITY QT60

are pretty much the same. Incredible value for performance. Any pre-2023 radio needs another job.

IMG_5052.jpeg

There are other choices, besides.

IMO, add:
DRX-901 Speaker
MYANTENNAS CMC-130Ks Choke/Filter

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
12w during a pile up on a busy channel like 38 can be difficult due to most people running much more power. If you go to a lesser used channel and start calling you might have better luck. I know a few people using an IMAX2000 and they put out a very respectable signal even at low power. A ground plane kit will help keep some RF off the coax but it’s not going to make any significant difference.

KOK5CY

I’m currently using a president Lincoln 2+ @ 25 watts . Probably need to get a ground plane kit .
Thanks again for the suggestion .

Dr_DX

I had a close friend of mine talk me into buying this great antenna for my house base . Well after buying a 22’ push up pole and raising it up to 50’ and then checking the swr which is a 1.2 on the band . I start transmitting on lower side band and it’s like I’m not making any progress. Before I bought the antenna I read the reviews and the db gain was way more than I expected. I’ve got the pole / antenna 10 ‘ over the roof line and the mast might be 4’ away from the house but I don’t have the mast grounded . My friend told me that I wouldn’t need a ground plane kit but I’m starting to wish I had bought it. I can hear the skip fine but other people can’t hear me and my equipment works perfectly fine. 1 watt dead key , 12 watts of swing on SSB . I spent a lot of money on getting the station running. Just don’t know what to do or think? . Just need to know if I need a better antenna or just work with what I have?

If the Imax2000 was made in the last 3 years, it is made for 10 meters (unlike the old ones). Make sure you have the "Optimizer" - a 12" extension - that will lengthen the antenna so it will work properly on 11 meters. It is cheapest to buy them both at the same time, but you can buy just the 12" section (for crazy $$$). That will get your 1.2 down to flat and help with your RX.

Currently, IMHO, the best bang for your buck is this on AliExpress. Free Shipping. Sale ends 7/21. Ridiculously easy conversion - clip a wire and move a jumper. Qixiang does a great job of setting these up ready to go out of the box.

1721304519460.png

n4edx

Good Morning all,
I have used the Imax antenna(s) for as long as they have been made. A-99 before that. 1st as a CB'er and free-band DX'r .. now as a HAM. I have a habit of leaving them when I move away. Over the past 18 years or so they have more than doubled in price.
NOW, the manufacturing is from China.
This past spring, From Feb thru may, I bought one off eBay that included FREE SHIPPING ! That's important since its an 8ft. box. Shipping is OVER a $100.++dollars now. I have NEVER had a problem with an Imax. And I've bought 6 or 8 of them.. This time around the first two I received were "electrically" broken in the base section. I used an antenna tuner and multi meter.. all to check the coax, antenna and hell even the output from the Tx'r .. I was able to track the break into the base base section. the first TWO would not Tune on ANY frequency.
Thank God, I bought mine off eBay "motors" section which guarantees the purchase.. as returnable. The total cost was about $230.00 SO even thought I made my purchase from a "can stereo, accessories vendor" They couldn't replace it due to NO STOCK. The actual distributor was "ROAD-PRO BRANDS" and they stood behind the purchase, after I received the 3rd, It was plug and play.. as usual.

Consider this.. what's it for?
  1. The solarcon ground plane kit is ONLY eye-candy. It has no beneficial electrical effect, because it's TOO short in length
  2. IF for Rf issues, You can use clamp-on Ferrites to eliminate the Rf from coming back down the coax (use enough!) at the base of the antenna. I did the math here also.. about 9-11 of these will stop Rf.
  3. If to lower your take off angle, really maximize the MAX.. Imax GP project.jpg read below...

IF you do your homework and read about the actual benefits of a GROUND-PLANE.. The ground plane kit offered by Solarcon is absolutely WORTHLESS. It is NOT electrically VISIBLE to the Imax. ( READ online about "ground plane design and length of radials for desired frequency ) After doing my math and shopping available resources ... I did build a PROPER ground plane system for the Imax. It REQUIRES a little material and shop skills. For 10/11 meters 26-30 mHz, You must have at least FOUR 8 foot radials (Stainless Steel whips are great and available).. To create the perfect TAKE-OFF ANGLE for worldwide DX'ing.. I mounted SIX (6) 8ft. S/S radials in a circular pattern using a "L" shaped steel plate which screwed onto the Imax /mast bolt holes, and the radials were screwed in at 90 degrees.. to standard 3/8's x 24 thread nuts which were welded onto the L shaped plate. I am going to do a quick draw.. so you can see what I'm failing to describe.. THIS thing allowed me to work OVER 140 countries worldwide ( 27.555 usb) confirmed by QSL cards and on while using on local side-band rag chewing... I could hear others that my friends could not hear. The antenna was mounted at 36ft. off the ground. I've had them up as high as 110ft. atop my 100ft. Rohn tower. The 36ft. height off the earth was AS or MORE efficient than at 110ft.
This all seems like a lot of effort.. IT WORKS! Trust me .. I'm a doctor. ;)
73'
Ed
N4EDX

KI4ZNG

Premium Subscriber
Hands down the Imax 2K is an outstanding antenna. My antenna has been up for about 16-17 years now. It has gone through countless storms not to mention extreme heat and cold temperatures and has not failed me yet. So unless something better comes along I will buy another one soon as a back up.

slowmover

Hands down the Imax 2K is an outstanding antenna. My antenna has been up for about 16-17 years now. It has gone through countless storms not to mention extreme heat and cold temperatures and has not failed me yet. So unless something better comes along I will buy another one soon as a back up.

There are worthy opinions to research. Meaning, cover the bases for equivalent models of mount, use, sturdiness, price, etc.

Example:

Post in thread 'Base station antenna'
Base station antenna

Last edited: