• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Impres battery "intitialization"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddiesel2006

Do Impres batteries need any special initialization? I've got a couple (should be new) impres batteries; when I went to charge the first one, it only charged for about 20 minutes before the light went solid green, but it only lasted about 10 minutes in the radio (just monitoring). The when I view the battery information in the radio, it shows an int date and 1 est. charge, but no % capacity.

Any ideas? Can these batteries lose their chemistry over time, even if they've never been used? They were mfd' in 2003, I believe.

Mr_Observer

one thing to note is that if you attempt to charge a lithium Ion Battery in a non- tri-chem charger it will kill the battery. Also if you have an impress charger and an impress battery you can force a recondition cycle by removing the battery and replacing it within 2 seconds. the light will change from red to yellow indicating a recondition cycle is in progress then just let it go for a while (sometimes several hours) until it turns green.

Mr_Observer

Batteries that were made in 03 are pretty old in battery years especially if they were sat unused for a while.

I wouldn't be expecting much from them even if I could get them to recondition.

ddiesel2006

af5rn said:
At the risk of asking an obvious question, are you utilising an Impres charger/conditioner, or a standard charger?

Impres charger; not an obvious question, my bad for not saying that originally.

Mr_Observer said:
one thing to note is that if you attempt to charge a lithium Ion Battery in a non- tri-chem charger it will kill the battery. Also if you have an impress charger and an impress battery you can force a recondition cycle by removing the battery and replacing it within 2 seconds. the light will change from red to yellow indicating a recondition cycle is in progress then just let it go for a while (sometimes several hours) until it turns green.

Is there such thing as a non-trichem Impres charger? The whole Impres thing is somewhat foreign to me; I've been toying with electronics and radios since I was 10, but I haven't ever used this intellegent battery stuff before.

Thayne

FWIW, I just had the same thing with some new Kenwood Li-ion batts, Kenwood said to charge em for 12 hours even tho it turned green after 2 hours.
They have been cycled several times now and last for about 12 hrs with occasional transmitting.

BryanTheRed

Ø
Premium Subscriber
All impress chargers are tri-chem. No worries about ruining a battery. Infact since the XTS series was introduced almost all new Motos come with a tri-chem charger.

ddiesel2006

Problem solved....

1st charge- Charged till green, discharged in radio (pretty quickly), 2nd charge- charged till green, removed, re-inserted, let sit and recondition, discharged in radio (took 12+ hrs, recieve only, 3rd charge- charged till green, lasted even longer with moderate transmitting.

Awesome! Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.