In Louisiana... what kind of scanner do i need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnr2469

Hello everyone. I am a complete newbie to the world of scanners and frequencies etc... I was listening to the Baton Rouge Police Dept on my iPhone but that feed keeps going off and of course now that i have listened to it for about 3 wks I am addicted and of right now it is offline and has been for about 5 hrs. I think I am having withdrawal symptoms :) So in order to keep me from going into panic mode because I can't hear the BRPD I think I may need a scanner, but I have no idea what to get. I am seeing 'trunked' systems, digital, LWIN (or something like that)... I don't even know where to start. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

n5ims

You'll need a digital trunktracking scanner (Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki) since LWIN is a digital system. The easiest (and often least expensive) would be the Radio Shack Pro-197 desk/moble scanner or the Pro-106 handheld. These have recently been on sale for about $100 off. There's also the new Pro-18 that will do digital trunktracking with the advantage of easy programming (the RR database is included on an SD memory card so you simply select what you want to listen to, vs programming by hand or by computer).

The RS models are pretty much clones of the GRE PSR 600, PSR 500, and PSR 800 (the PSR 800/Pro-18 do have differences that are explained in the WIKI).

There are also Uniden models that many folks like as well. The BCD396XT handheld or BCD 996XT desktop/mobile are good.

Your choice of brand is simply that, a brand choice. The features, quality, etc. of the RS/GRE/Uniden models are generally top notch so the choice is simply price (at the time) and how close they work compared to how you like things to work (e.g. speaker on top, bottom, button layout, etc.).

mnr2469

Thank You!!! I am know officially on the hunt for a scanner. I found several on amazon one was used for about $100. I don't have a whole lot of money to spend on it and I am not going to be doing anything elaborate on it, i just want to be able to listen to the police, fire and EMS for East Baton Rouge Parish and for Livingston Parish. In the meantime if you know who provides the feed for baton rouge police department can you please tell them to hook us back up. Thanks again for all your help!!

LWIN is the Louisiana Wireless Information Network which is fast becoming the standard trunking system for statewide use. When selecting your scanner make sure that it works on APCO 25 systems (sometimes called project 25) which is the digital standard LWIN uses or you will not have what you need. The database on this site lists most of who is on LWIN but it is not perfect. You can find the system entry here Louisiana Wireless Information Network (LWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Louisiana - Scanner Frequencies The top of that listing gives the trunk sites and freqencies and as you scroll down it goes through all the state and parish agencies. A few parishes like Caddo, Bossier, and Rapides put in trunking before LWIN became standard and thus are still for the most part on their own systems. I am up north and do not know which if any are that way in your area.

It would be a good idea when purchasing your scanner to get the cable at that time which hooks the scanner to your computer. Once you get past the learning curve with the cable and software it is a whole lot easier to make entries on the scanner. Sometimes the cable comes with the scanner but with Radio Shack it normally does not.

Last edited:

mnr2469

is there a way to tell the person providing the feed that there is no volume?? it shows the time that you have been hooked up tot he feed and it shows how many users and it shows there is 16 kbps on the feed and 2 listeners, ( i assume i am one of those 2, but we can't hear any radio transmissions) this is for the pointe coupee parsih, w. baton rouge parish, e. baton rouge parish fire-rescue.

n5ims

is there a way to tell the person providing the feed that there is no volume?? it shows the time that you have been hooked up tot he feed and it shows how many users and it shows there is 16 kbps on the feed and 2 listeners, ( i assume i am one of those 2, but we can't hear any radio transmissions) this is for the pointe coupee parsih, w. baton rouge parish, e. baton rouge parish fire-rescue.

Your request will most likely be handled more quickly by pressing the "Report a Problem" button/link on the feed than this message which in only related to that feed due to the forum post happens to mention LWIN and the feed sends some of the audio for a very few talkgroups that happen to be on LWIN.

Pointe Coupee Parish, W. Baton Rouge Parish, E. Baton Rouge Parish, Fire-Rescue Live Scanner Audio Feed This link may work, but using the one on the feed itself has a better chance to do so.

Study1

MNR2469,

I am a complete newbie and saw that there was a feed for BRPD for the IPhone. Could you or someone else please supply me with a feed for BRPD? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.