Input Frequency Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCListener

I was looking at the frequency list for my county.
Under display option, you can show or hide the input frequency.
I was looking through my scanner (the Pro90) and putting all the freqs that I had programmed in a spreadsheet so I don't lose anything.
Do most of you leave these in your scanner?
It looks like I put them all in previously. I did not get those frequencies from this website. They are from an old list.

n4yek

You won't miss anything by not putting the input freqs into your radio, well maybe 1% of communications if they use the input freq as a 'private' channel.

Nasby

I don't waste the space or risk slowing down my scanner's speed (and possibly missing action on another channel) by programming the input channels. The input channel could indicate a radio user close by if the signal strength is strong. If that's of any interest.

mdickerson17

Just for reference if you just listened to input freq's you would only hear half the conversation! Just what the officer is saying and not the control dispatcher....

NCListener

Thanks for the replies!! I am still learning about how the radios we listen to work.
So the input freq. is the freq. that the officer's radio uses to send the message to the repeater? Or is it tower?

fineshot1

Thanks for the replies!! I am still learning about how the radios we listen to work.
So the input freq. is the freq. that the officer's radio uses to send the message to the repeater? Or is it tower?

A repeater works with two freqs - an input and an output freq.

Input freq: This is the signal/audio that gets repeated on the output freq. The mobile transmits
on this freq and receives on the repeater output freq.

Output freq: This is the repeated audio from the input freq. Its repeated at a much higher
output power and the antenna is usually up high on a tower or tall building so the signal
can reach out much further than the mobile or portable on the input freq. The repeater
transmits on this freq and receives on the input freq at the same time(Full Duplex).

Status
Not open for further replies.