Installation errors with Norton Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnerz

Premium Subscriber
All,
A while back I purchased the database on CD. At that time, I tried installing it on my laptop. No joy. I get the stunnix server icon in the tray but no icons on the desktop and, by all appearances, nothing is installed. At the end of the "installation", Internet Explorer starts but never connects to anything.
Lindsey and I worked on it for a while and never figured anything out. But, I did try an installation on another PC that had no anti-virus or firewall set up, and the database installed with no problems.
So, I figured I'd tackle the problem later.
Now, it's later and I thought I'd try to tackle this.
I can disable Norton 360 (version 3) by the icon in the tray. The CD runs and attempts an installation of the database. The CD drive light flashes like data is transferring. At the end, Internet Explorer starts, but never connects. The Stunnix icon is in the tray but the only options I have are Open Site Again and Terminate Site.
I wnet to My Computer | Manage | Services | Services and didn't notice any new services running (then again, I'm not sure exactly what to look for, either). I don't see any other error messages.

Any ideas?
-Shawn

bezking

The Windows Firewall may be to blame, try disabling it or adding an exception and see what happens.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Shawn, this definitely sounds like a firewall is blocking the embeded web server on the CD-ROM from starting properly.

Make sure you enable exceptions in Norton, or disable Norton, so the CD-ROM can run properly.

Warm regards,

shawnerz

Premium Subscriber
This hasn't been high on the priority list. But, I have time and I decided to tackle this again.
Windows Firewall is disabled because Norton 360 is installed. In N360 (version 3.5.2), you can right-click on the icon and disable the "Smart Firewall" and the "Antivirus Auto-Protect."
I've done both and attempted to install the Radio Reference database. I get the same results: After about 4-5 minutes, IE opens with nothing in the address bar. The status says "Conecting..." But, IE never connects to anything.
I have the red, Stunnix server icon in the tray. When I click on "Terminate Site", IE says it can connect to the website. but lists no address.
I haven't tried "Reconnect to Site." My guess is I will continue to get the Connecting...message.

shawnerz

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, we did that a while back...via email...like in March or so of this year. It installed on another computer that had minimal virus protection. I was hoping that by now somebody else had had this problem and could say, "Oh, just disable XXX service."
Wasn't there a log file that I emailed to you and you got an idea of where the process was breaking down? Could you tell me where that is again? I'll post my question on the Norton forums and see what info I get there.
Thanks,
-Shawn

shawnerz

Premium Subscriber
I emailed cdrom@radioreference.com late last week and didn't get a response. I'm getting an error during installation saying "error incorrect information in file "./cdrom_rrdb/state_list.frm"
This happens in Linux as well as Windows and it doesn't matter if the CD is copied to the hard disk.
The odd thing is, if the file was in fact corrupt on the CD, I'd expect to get an error during the copy process. This doesn't happen.
Anyway, could some email me a copy of the file to me at shawnerz at yahoo dot com?

I'd like to add, in XP, I was able to fully disable Norton (and just about everything else) by going to Start | Run | msconfig and select Selective Startup. Then disable everything except boot.ini.

Thanks,
-Shawn

shawnerz

Premium Subscriber
No. Norton is fully disabled by the settings in msconfig. Norton is not the problem.
Plus, I've got too much invested in getting Norton working properly to switch to something else.
Thanks anyway,
-Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.