Installing Crimp On PL 259 on LMR 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcvmo

1. return said items to place of purchase and obtain refund

2. purchase soldering gun and solder and quality "amphenol" pl 259's

3.google up , "soldering pl 259's" and learn to do it right !

you will be much happier in the end , and you wont have to do it again when the crimp on
style , falls off or develops a poor connection in 6 months

be a man and get some hardline with N connectors. 0 loss. 100% satisfaction

rcvmo

AlmostHandy

Ok, this thread is very relevant to my current project, so if the OP doesn't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions regarding Coax and Connectors.

I plan to use LMR400 as a feed line from a Wifi Dish Antenna. I have used a crappy crimper, and received crappy results in the past, so I plan to solder all of my connectors.

My first option is to have two Male N connectors soldered to each end of the LMR400 Feedline, and create a pigtail of LMR200 with an N female soldered on one end, and an RP-SMA soldered on the other.

Does this sound reasonable? It seems like a lot of connectors in the path of the signal. I have heard that more connectors is a very bad thing in terms of signal loss.

My other option is to use LMR200 as the feedline. The length of the run is less than 25 feet.

Basically, I guess what I'm asking is, would it be better to use LMR200 for the entire run, and only use 2 connectors, or should I use LMR400 with a pigtail, even though it doubles the number of connectors?

K

kb0nly

Stay with the LMR400 and put the jumpers on. The LMR200 is lossy at 2.4Ghz, 16.5dB per 100ft. So you have a run of lets say 25ft, that gives about 4.1dB of loss over that run. The LMR400 would be 1.6dB at 25ft. Add in those extra connectors and short jumper for the one end and your still going to have less loss with the LMR400.

It's nice to have the short flexible jumper on the one end for the router, strain relief for the connector on the back of the router.

Oh, and instead of putting an N-Male on both ends of the LMR-400, on the router end of the LMR-400 get an inline N-Female, then all you need is an LMR200 jumper with an N-Male to RP-SMA. You can find them preassembled on eBay for a lot cheaper than some think.

Status
Not open for further replies.