BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Interested in a BCD325P2 Unit

Bmurphy09

Been doing a lot of reading & researching online today about scanners. From what I can gather it seems like the BCD325P2 is a good trunking scanner. It seems reasonably priced. I see a lot of cons about battery life but that’s not a deal breaker for me. Amazon has the unit for less money than buying from Uniden but if bought from Uniden I can add the additional programming & unlocking. Does anyone know can I still have that done even if I purchase from Amazon?

Also I have a pretty old handheld scanner that I doubt does DMR. On radio reference I searched for LE, businesses, etc and see so many that are “DMR.” I am guessing my old model scanner does not get DMR transmissions.

The 325P2 looks like a good model, can anyone else tell me their experiences with this particular model? Eager to learn about it & more about scanning but don’t want to have to get a Masters degree in order to do so.

wtp

for the battery problem, i carry 2 extra cells in my pocket.
the biggest problem is with simulcast.
as i move around my county it cuts in and out a bit, but is horrible when i am at home.
it cuts in and out at 1/4 second intervals.
if you buy it from amazon, you can go to the uniden site and get the numbers to unlock the extras, cheaper than others.

Last edited:

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
I just bought two from Amazon, both were used / like new, no issues so far with either one. No scratches for imperfections, they look like new to me. I got each one for $305 and I upgraded them to receive DMR & NXDN. Total cost after upgrade was cheaper then buying them full price.

It doesn't matter where you purchase the radio, the upgrade process is thru Uniden.

What is your location & what do you want to listen to??

What make/model is your old scanner??

Search the forums here for recommendations on programming software.

Last edited:

Bmurphy09

I just bought two from Amazon, both were used / like new, no issues so far with either one. No scratches for imperfections, they look like new to me. I got each one for $305 and I upgraded them to receive DMR & NXDN. Total cost after upgrade was cheaper then buying them full price.

It doesn't matter where you purchase the radio, the upgrade process is thru Uniden.

What is your location & what do you want to listen to??

What make/model is your old scanner??

Search the forums here for recommendations on programming software.
Hi. So buy the radio from wherever and then go to Uniden’s site to do the upgrades? The old scanner is a radio shack scanner, I’ve had it for a very long time. It’s so old it doesnt work on batteries (it takes batteries but they dont work in the scanner) and when its plugged in to a power source it complains of a battery low condition and sometimes it just turns itself off. Anything is an upgrade to this thing.

Interested in listening to fire, police, local things. I live by a six flags park and used to be able to listen to them a lot. I installed a discone anntenna in the attic and ran a cable down through the attic into the office. To help with reception. I think some of my local LE is encrypted now but I’m sure there’s plenty of other stuff to listen to. In looking at the frequency database on rr.com i see a lot of things are DMR now, which I’m guessing my current scanner will not pick up. Also see that some orgs/businesses are DMR MOTOTRBO, I think the 325P2 will pick those transmissions up with the unlocking of DMR…do you think or know if it will?

I saw posts & reviews about getting a subscription to radio reference, I didn’t know what is being offered with a subx to radio reference. I also see some recommendations on programming software. I guess I would just need to get a unit and play with it, see what I can do with it.

Thanks so much.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Piurchaaed a 325P2 about a month ago and works well, but not really my primary scanner for P25 Trucked systems, as have other radios for this tasks, like a Unication G4 and 5.

Have both the DMR and NXDN upgrades. This is main reason i purchaseed this scanner is to monitor businesses using these modes. Need to see if any DMR systems have encryption on them.

Battery life is OK.

You need to see how much simulcast you have in your area, as this scanner may or not work. I am in good area to monitor our local TRS.

Looking at your County's radio system used PD is encrypted, but fire is clear with some encryption on EMS.

In the database anything with a capitol E is encrypted and small e is part time encrypted

Bmurphy09

Piurchaaed a 325P2 about a month ago and works well, but not really my primary scanner for P25 Trucked systems, as have other radios for this tasks, like a Unication G4 and 5.

Have both the DMR and NXDN upgrades. This is main reason i purchaseed this scanner is to monitor businesses using these modes. Need to see if any DMR systems have encryption on them.

Battery life is OK.

You need to see how much simulcast you have in your area, as this scanner may or not work. I am in good area to monitor our local TRS.

Looking at your County's radio system used PD is encrypted, but fire is clear with some encryption on EMS.

In the database anything with a capitol E is encrypted and small e is part time encrypted
Hi. I’m reading & trying to figure out what this “simulcast” business is. I don’t understand simulcast vs. non-simulcast. I’m part of a couple of facebook groups for local emergencies & such, the admins post pretty often incidents & stuff in my area. They say they hear it on the scanner so some must not be totally encrypted. My area is served by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and Los Angeles County Fire Department. Like you said it looks like my area is encrypted but some of it must be non-encrypted because the facebook groups announce accidents & incidents in the area. I need to ping them & ask what frequency or frequencies they are listening to, to get this information. Thanks!

bearcatrp

Enjoy my 325P2 but if your in heavy simulcast area, it will be choppy. That changes as you move around if your mobile. I use an external USB battery for around 24 hours of continuous scanning. But while driving, I remove the batteries and plug in to a USB port in my truck for power. what area do do you live so we can help you with better information. Sucks buying a scanner that won’t work in your area. You mentioned trunking for your interest. What agencies are you interested in to scan?

BinaryMode

Magic Mountain doesn't appear to use DMR. So darn near any scanner will do. Attractions / Amusement Parks (Los Angeles County) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Unless of course that's old information.

482.8625 WII801 RM CSQ SCV-D5 Disp 5 - Santa Clarita [L-TAC 8] FMN Law Dispatch

483.325 RM 151.4 PL LAC D-1 Dispatch - Santa Clarita / Antelope Valley (BN 6,11,17,22) FMN Fire Dispatch

483.525 RM 151.4 PL LAC C-10 Command - Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley FMN Fire-Tac
483.8625 RM 151.4 PL LAC C-11 Command - Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley FMN Fire-Tac
484.0125 RM 151.4 PL LAC C-12 Command - Santa Clarita and Antelope Valley FMN Fire-Tac

470.5875 KNP331 RM CSQ LAC BLUE 11 Alt CMD - Santa Clarita and Antelope Valleys FM Fire-Tac

471.025 WIL591 RM 118.8 PL SCV EM Emergency Managment FM Emergency Ops

The Santa Clarita county sheriff appears to be in the clear. Press control + F in your browser and find Santa Clarita. Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) Trunking System, Los Angeles County, California

Like mentioned, if you see a DE it means full time encryption. A De is partial encryption. Meaning they can be encrypted or not encrypted at anytime. If you program a De talkgroup and if an encrypted transmission comes along the scanner will mute the audio hash and continue scanning.

I own both P2s. They work great for me but I don't listen to any simulcast towers.

This tower would be what I would start with for the Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS). Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) Site: Magic Mountain 700

Another. Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) Site: North Simulcast 700

I don't know if these towers are simulcast or not, but may be better.

Another contender. Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS) Site: Magic Mountain UHF

The LA-RICS does look simulcast though so the P2 may have issues.

Do you have any experience with programing a P25 trunked system? It is a bit of a learning curve. Especially with DMA type scanners. I'd chime in on the California subforum and ask about the P2 you're interested in. It may not work that well due to simulcast. If you buy ProScan, I can create a file for you. Or someone else in your area can do it from the California subforum.

Last edited: