Yaesu: interfacing FT-450

Status
Not open for further replies.

braluca

is there anybody can help how to connect the rig to PC that has only USB interfaces?
My goal is to use some digi mode
What exactly I need?

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
is there anybody can help how to connect the rig to PC that has only USB interfaces?
My goal is to use some digi mode
What exactly I need?

My FT-991A uses a USB to printer cable. I believe the same is used on the FT-450. Get at least a 6 ft. long (2 meter) length cable so you will have leeway in moving your laptop around (or to reach your desktop, lol) Amazon and flea bay has many...

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
You need two connections, 1 for CAT rig control and the other for the audio in and out. Yaesu makes the SCU17 unit that plugs into one usb port and works really well, it's what I use on my 450D for both digital and remote rig control/use.

You could DIY it as well for a few bucks less, but much more effort. You need a usb sound card, a usb to serial cable for CAT control and you make the audio cable by cutting up an 3.5mm male to male cable and a 6pin cable.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I would also add, one of the nice things about the SCU17 is it has physical level adjustment knobs on the front for input and output audio.
ysu-scu-17_sn_xl.jpg

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I had a SignaLink USB for years and, while only marginally cheaper than the SCU-17, it will work across several radios with minimal reconfiguration. It comes with the cables you need, so there's no need to build any cables.

For remote control, pre-made cables are also available.

braluca

I am using FT-450D with SCU-17 interface
Usinf Fldigi for decoding CW
Problem is how to right set Fldigi for controlling also rig.
In Configuration -> Rig Control -> Hamlib I check Use Hamlib, I select as rig 450 but when I click Initialize it stucks
Could you please help?
Or anybody with same HW config can give me his setting?

braluca

and also with Flrig, not able to right set for controlling rig via SCU-17
Any saint can help me?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I use N1MM for control/logging, and have WJST-X setup to launch from N1MM. I can screenshot my settings when I get home. I also use N1MM to send CW using K1EL WKmini keyer and interfaced another program to translate.

What are you trying to get fldigi to do?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
My com ports are as follows, for reference which one is enhanced and which one is standard:
SCU17 Ports.png

Hardware Tab:
N1MM Hardware Tab.png

"Set" Button for COM9:
N1MM Hardware Details COM9.png

Audio Tab:
N1MM Audio Tab.png

Mode Control Tab:
N1MM Mode Control Tab.png

Data Broadcast Tab:
N1MM Broadcast Data Tab.png

WSJT Tab:
N1MM WSJT Tab.png

And because I have a winkeyer:
N1MM Winkey Tab.png

braluca

I use N1MM for control/logging, and have WJST-X setup to launch from N1MM. I can screenshot my settings when I get home. I also use N1MM to send CW using K1EL WKmini keyer and interfaced another program to translate.

I want to try TX in CW and RTTY.
BTW I am using WSJT-X for FT8 without any problem, just configured and I am on air, without any othe program controlling it

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
As far as I have found, you need a keyer to transmit CW. I had to break down and buy one on eBay.

braluca

can I use N1MM to directly tx in cw and rtty without other software?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Yes, but you still need another software to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.