IowaCity — Anyone hear anything from ICCSD's NXDN system?

sempai

Premium Subscriber
hello,

i upgraded my scanner and got an sds100 kitted out, and i love it. it arrived the day after the last day of school, but i expected to hear something going on, i am less than half a mile from one of the schools my kids go to, but its like the only school absent from the talkgroup IDs in the RRDB!

so i am wondering if i should start trying to discover anything that might not be documented already but i also was curious if anyone has been hearing any traffic out of that nxdn 4800 baud (it's gotta be bps right??) system with the ICCSD school district schools and busses for every single other school not wood elementary 😂🤦‍♂

Bandit52241

Premium Subscriber
You will need to upgrade your 100 to the nexgen upgrade, $75. But with school being out I doubt there is much to be heard but maybe a new driver being train.

sempai

Premium Subscriber
You will need to upgrade your 100 to the nexgen upgrade, $75. But with school being out I doubt there is much to be heard but maybe a new driver being train.
i did, i have all the upgrades including waterfall! i did actually hear an ICCSD bus today on NXDN so i can happily report that i have successfully heard NXDN in Iowa City!

chris451rr

hello,

i upgraded my scanner and got an sds100 kitted out, and i love it. it arrived the day after the last day of school, but i expected to hear something going on, i am less than half a mile from one of the schools my kids go to, but its like the only school absent from the talkgroup IDs in the RRDB!

so i am wondering if i should start trying to discover anything that might not be documented already but i also was curious if anyone has been hearing any traffic out of that nxdn 4800 baud (it's gotta be bps right??) system with the ICCSD school district schools and busses for every single other school not wood elementary 😂🤦‍♂
Summer recess wait til september......

sempai

Premium Subscriber
place is hoppin with nxdn now. i think my 9yo's school is misidentified so i am waiting to recognize someone or something on tg 15 because i think it might be Grant Wood since it doesn't appear otherwise

sempai

Premium Subscriber
i'm proud to say i've contributed to the RR database due to some schools being renamed as they shuffled 6th grade around into what were formerly jr. high schools and are now middle schools.

i live in shouting distance of my 9yo's school and when i'm on campus everyone's radios are actively used but i barely hear anything from them and i can't figure out why. i have set most of the schools to perm Avoid to limit to my kids' schools and the busses, as well because from like 7am to 9am and 2pm to 4pm it's non-stop from over a dozen different talk groups so i thought maybe i was missing traffic due to all the other schools and went on an Avoid Spree.

in case i did something weird in my own favorite list i have grabbed a fresh favorite list of this NXDN 4800 system and that one seems to be acting the same. i had the LCN finder running for half an hour and apparently that's intended to run for a long time so i'll set it up before bed and let it roll into tomorrow morning and see if i discover anything else. my other scanner is a pro668 with the whistler DMR upgrade and it doesn't understand NXDN. i have a HackRF and some RTL-SDR modules but i haven't investigated what i'd need to do for capturing and decoding NXDN with any other options. since the SDS100 has some discovery capabilities i figured i'd start there.

anyone else listening to this system and picking up TG15 regularly? when the scanner hits those lists it stays on RAN 1 the whole time, after thumbing through some FAQs and documentation i am curious if setting one of them to RAN 0 would be a better way to validate we've got a complete system map in the RRDB?

both of these favorites lists have the same 4 frequencies, LCN, and RAN/Area data. one has ID Search enabled, the other one does not.
i have been keeping it handheld around the house this week but i can hook it up to an external antenna as well, my 9yo can ping me from a 5w GMRS-Pro at the school so considering i'm really interested in why i don't hear much of anything from her building i haven't thought a bigger antenna would solve any problems considering i can hear people at schools across town without difficulty. next time i'm in the office i might ask if i can get a look at one of their radios. maybe they're also piloting some other system or something, but i'd expect to hear bus coordination chatter to that school and i'm not hearing much of anything. i have to go review recordings again but i had like 4 brief TG15 transmissions out of 1000 captured since school started?!

thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2024-09-05 at 17.15.33.png
    CleanShot 2024-09-05 at 17.15.33.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 5
  • CleanShot 2024-09-05 at 17.15.43.png
    CleanShot 2024-09-05 at 17.15.43.png
    523.3 KB · Views: 4
  • CleanShot 2024-09-05 at 17.16.07.png
    CleanShot 2024-09-05 at 17.16.07.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 5

sempai

Premium Subscriber
i did pick up the 4th LCN overnight but it didn't seem to be different from what it already had. i will probably casually cruise the front office staff next week when i take the 9yo to an appointment. i will run my usual ICCSD-focused favorites lists and enable Close Call Priority a bit today and see if that turns up anything unexpected.

edit: clarity

sempai

Premium Subscriber
i was in the office today picking up a feverish 9yo and the handheld in the office was blowing up and i rarely hear that TG and i am a stone's throw from the building 🤔 there was only one person juggling the joint at the time so i didn't ask to check out their radio 😂

sempai

Premium Subscriber
i have duplicated the ICCSD NXDN system as it exists in RRDB and run one in ID Search and the other in straight Scan. probably not optimal but this time of day all i care about is school and gmrs.

sempai

Premium Subscriber
Today I picked up a TGID of `i8` marked `(SRC) i259` still on RAN 1 and it was about a bathroom but no clues to what school it was in or if it was another business on that same NXDN 4800 system that has ICCSD and a couple of other business radio users like a towing company that is busy on game days.

sempai

Premium Subscriber
I asked the front desk and the name of someone on that TGID of i8 was asking for someone that is apparently facilities at Lincoln High, but i wasn't expecting talk group IDs in that format at all. still trying to figure it out and see if there's anything else going on that is causing me to miss what's happening on TG15.

ISW376

Premium Subscriber
ixxx is a private call where users can select a user on the system and they can talk without disturbing other users.

SRC means Source and is the source radio initiating the private call.

DST means destination and that is the radio that the is receiving the private call.

More then likely it was a custodian talking to a iccsd maintenance supervisor or another custodial staff.

sempai

Premium Subscriber
trunk discovery is still running, i'll let it roll until 2pm when elementary is dismissed on Thursdays. thank you for the tip on the private call, I knew that was a thing but it was the first time I had seen it with my own eyes @ISW376 !