R8600 IP+ function-What's it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

The manual says what it does but doesn't say in what mode nor what bands. Anyone know how IP+ can be useful? Mainly, can it benefit a desired signal say in HF? Like a SW broadcast? I have no idea.

Hit_Factor

Possibly wrong forum. Amateur radio equipment is where this should be.

This is likely IC-7300 or 7610 related question.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Kenwood TH-D74 Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

ridgescan

Possibly wrong forum. Amateur radio equipment is where this should be.

This is likely IC-7300 or 7610 related question.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Kenwood TH-D74 Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo
Good call, but it's for my R8600 which I should've specified. Hope I get an answer here as I googled it and found nothing.

prcguy

The IP+ function is supposed to improve third order intercept specs and lower the A/D converter distortion when very strong signals are close to weak ones you are trying to receive. Most people report it doesn't do anything noticeable.

edweirdFL

On my IC-7300 I normally leave it off for max sensitivity, but during a contest weekend when strong signals flood the bands, I will cut it on. I'm guessing it works the same for the R8600

The IP Plus function improves the Intermodulation Distortion (IMD) quality via DSP. This function optimizes the Analog/Digital Converter (ADC) against the distortion when you receive a strong input signal. It also improves the Third-order Intercept Point (IP3) while minimizing the reduction of the receive sensitivity.

Select ON to prioritize the IP quality, and select OFF to prioritize the receive sensitivity.

ridgescan

Thanks guys. prcguy so this IP+ is in lieu of using PBTs? Or is it a feature mainly intended for SSB signals where you don't want to PBT voice copy into something unpleasant? You're talking "adjacent" strong signals right?
And edweirdFL- your instruction quote is verbatum what is in my R8600 manual so I'm guessing your 7300's receiver is very close or identical to the R8600.

prcguy

Its got nothing to do with filtering, just raising the dynamic range of the A to D converter by diddling with noise bits.

Thanks guys. prcguy so this IP+ is in lieu of using PBTs? Or is it a feature mainly intended for SSB signals where you don't want to PBT voice copy into something unpleasant? You're talking "adjacent" strong signals right?
And edweirdFL- your instruction quote is verbatum what is in my R8600 manual so I'm guessing your 7300's receiver is very close or identical to the R8600.

Status
Not open for further replies.