iridium phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiorick

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
537
Reaction score
2
As of right now I don't know all that much about these phones.
There are 66 sat's (via UHF link in the LOE that hand off data...um the company went bankrupt a few years back then got brought back to there
feet with the help of the DoD. And the only ground station is located in Hawaii.

1) hand shake types (How is it done and with what)
2) Encryption
3) overall proformance of the service
4) Data rates
5) What companys offer hand set
6) How many generation of the service are there.
7) Does the hand set use a sim card?

Thats about it....for now

Digitalear@wi-foo.com
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
Radiorick said:
As of right now I don't know all that much about these phones.
There are 66 sat's (via UHF link in the LOE that hand off data...um the company went bankrupt a few years back then got brought back to there
feet with the help of the DoD. And the only ground station is located in Hawaii.

1) hand shake types (How is it done and with what)

Don't know, but have been told it is veryt GSM or iDEN like

2) Encryption

Added after the bankrupsy to satisfy the "new" customer (I woulod guess Type 1)

3) overall proformance of the service

Works very well in the open.

4) Data rates

2400 kbps

5) What companys offer hand set

Motorola

6) How many generation of the service are there.

Not sure what you mean? Guess you would cfall it a 2G service, since it is digital and voice centric.

7) Does the hand set use a sim card?

Yes

Thats about it....for now

Digitalear@wi-foo.com
 

Radiorick

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
537
Reaction score
2
Found alittle data so that it doesn't seem like I'm not giving any info back to the board

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few neat-pete appilcations for the iridium phone
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=iridium+hand+shaking+methods

2)www.ocean.us/documents/docs/TimStanton.ppt

3)http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~mcba/iridiumLinux.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Radom information gather off of a few searches
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)http://patdb.ffii.org/EP/7/9/EP792543.html
2)http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/subjects/cse4891/sat/sat.html
*nothing to really do with irifium just interesting*
 

Radiorick

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
537
Reaction score
2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridium_(satellite)

Iridium (satellite)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The Iridium satellite constellation is a system of 66 active communication satellites and spares around the Earth. The system was originally to have 77 active satellites, and was named for the element iridium, which has atomic number 77. Iridium allows worldwide voice and data communications using handheld devices.

The service was launched on November 1, 1998 and went into Chapter 11 bankruptcy on August 13, 1999. Its financial failure was largely due to insufficient demand for the service, the bulkiness and cost of the handheld devices compared to cellular mobile phones, and the rise of cellular GSM roaming agreements during Iridium's decade-long construction period.

Mismanagement has also been cited as a major factor in the program's failure. In 1999 CNN writer David Rohde detailed how the he applied for Iridium service and was sent information kits, but was never contacted by a sales representive. He encountered programming problems on Iridium's website and a "run-around" from the company's representatives. After Iridium filed bankruptcy it cited its "difficulty [in] gaining subscribers".

The Iridium satellites were, however, retained in orbit, and their services have been re-established in 2001 by the newly founded Iridium Satellite LLC, partly owned by Boeing and other investors. The system is being mainly used by the US Department of Defense for its communication purposes. However, it is open for everyone with global communication needs; typical customers include oil companies, scientists, and globetrotters.

The initial commercial failure of Iridium has had a dampening effect on other proposed commercial satellite constellation projects, including Teledesic. Other schemes (Orbcomm, ICO, and Globalstar) followed Iridium into bankruptcy protection, while a number of proposed schemes were never constructed.

Phone rates from land lines to Iridium phones are $2 to $4 per minute, from Iridium to land lines about $1.50 per minute and between Iridium phones less than $1 per minute. Iridium and other satellite phones may be identifiable to the listener because of the particular "clipping" effect of the data compression and the latency (experienced as a noticeable lag or time delay) due to the long travelling path of the signal. Iridium operates at a data rate of 2400 baud, which requires very aggressive voice compression and decompression algorithms.

Iridium phones are mainly available from two vendors, Kyocera and Motorola. Kyocera phone models SS-66K and SD-66K are no longer in production, but still available in the second hand and surplus market. The Motorola phone 9500 is a design from the first commercial phase of Iridium, whereas the current 9505 model is a more modern design which is especially popular in military applications.

Iridium phone numbers all start with +8816 or +8817 (which is like the country code for a virtual country) and the 8-digit phone number.

Because of the satellites' peculiar shape with three polished door-sized antennas, 120 degrees apart and at 45 degree angles with the main bus, the Iridium satellites have a highly visible satellite flare. On their orbits, the antennas directly reflect sunlight, creating a predictable and quickly moving illuminated spot of about 10 km diameter when the reflected beam hits the earth. To a spectator this looks like an extremely bright flare in the sky with a duration of only a couple of seconds. Some of the flares are so bright (up to -8 magnitude) that they can be seen at daytime, but they are most impressive after dusk and before dawn. This flashing has been of extreme annoyance to astronomers in that the brightness of the satellites disturbs observations and can damage sensitive equipment.
 

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
4,012
Reaction score
133
Location
RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV
Wow thats interesting. I have always wondered about the satellite phone service and what happend with it sense it was advirtised. Do the press also use this service or there own sat's or sub carrier or something? I like to look up at night sometimes and watch sats go by. I wonder if these are the iridium sats?
 

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
812
Location
Cleveland, OH
poltergeisty said:
I like to look up at night sometimes and watch sats go by. I wonder if these are the iridium sats?
Go to www.heavens-above.com which is a great site for observing satellites. The section on "iridium flares" will allow you to see iridium satellites as their panels catch the sun. I've seen quite a few.

Erik
 

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
4,012
Reaction score
133
Location
RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV
This is a cool site. I have always wanted to know what I was looking at and where and when of a satillite. I found most interesting is the satillites that are drifting from our solar system. It would take about 11 hours at the speed of light to get to one of these now! Thats just nuts. Thanks for the link I wil be useing it a lot. Back in high school I would log what I saw maybe I can find out what it was from this site if I find the log I made.
 

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
812
Location
Cleveland, OH
I've been using the site for months to observe the ISS and monitor the overhead pass on 145.8 MHz. The ISS section even plots a visible track on "the ground" based on your location so you know the exact path the ISS will take. It's a very cool site.
 

Radiorick

Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2004
Messages
537
Reaction score
2
Heavns above is a nice resource....but the Personal Satellite Network has some decent equipment....Not that I really need anything off there..but it
fun to look
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top