SDS100/SDS200: Is GlobalSat BR-355N5 GPS puck compatible with SDS100?

ps786

I couldn't source a reasonably priced BR-355S4. Some seller list BR-355N5 as S4 replacement. Does anyone know if it will work on SDS100?

• High sensitivity solution
  • Very high sensitivity chipset (Tracking Sensitivity: -165 dBm)
  • Extremely fast TTFF (Time To First Fix) at low signal level
  • Support NMEA 0183 data protocol
  • Built-in Backup power to reserve system data for rapid satellite acquisition
  • Built-in patch antenna
  • Super-cohesive magnetic for mounting on the car
  • Water resistant and non-slip on the bottom
  • USB interface connection port
  • LED indicator for GPS fix or not fix
  • LED OFF: Receiver switch off
  • LED ON: No fixed, Signal searching
  • LED Flashing: Position Fixed

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Sorry - no.
The "S" in BR-355S4 indicates it's serial...
The BR-355N4 is not (serial).
See above: ("USB interface connection port")

1713306741191.png

Last edited:

Maraquistain

Sorry - no.
The "S" in BR-355S4 indicates it's serial...
The BR-355N4 is not (serial).
See above: ("USB interface connection port")

View attachment 160444
I’m new and fishing from the same boat as the OP. According to Azamon, the BR-355N also uses a serial port connection and they sell for $46. Any opinions if it work in place of the 355S-4?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I’m new and fishing from the same boat as the OP. According to Azamon, the BR-355N also uses a serial port connection and they sell for $46. Any opinions if it work in place of the 355S-4?

The Globalsat GPS puck that I know will work with the SDS100 is the BR-355S4.
That said, I see in the BR-355N's description "Newer version for BR-355S4"
Reading the comments, some say it will - some say it won't.
Amazon comments are sometimes not all about the same item, so certainly there is contradictory information.

Try it and see I suppose......

Edit: I just ordered a BR-355N (and another BC-UTGC) for the heck of it just to see - via Prime, so I'll let you know tomorrow.

Last edited:

Maraquistain

The Globalsat GPS puck that I know will work with the SDS100 is the BR-355S4.
That said, I see in the BR-355N's description "Newer version for BR-355S4"
Reading the comments, some say it will - some say it won't.
Amazon comments are sometimes not all about the same item, so certainly there is contradictory information.

Try it and see I suppose......

Edit: I just ordered a BR-355N (and another BC-UTGC) for the heck of it just to see - via Prime, so I'll let you know tomorrow.

For what it’s worth, GlobalSat‘s manual does show the S4 has a different chip set. The S4 has the “SiRF Star IV GSD4e” chipset while the N has the “High performance chipset”. The receiver specs are the same however the N has 75 channels while the 4e has 48. Other than “Acquisition Rate” times, most all other specs look to be the same.

I have yet to receive my SDS100 and its sophistication is a bit intimidating. Plus, I am dumber’n a rock when it comes to this level of technical complexity and the information shared on this forum has been tremendous resource.

The GPS is going to be the first accessory so I do appreciate the comparison being done by a knowledgable user! I look forward to hearing the results and will order accordingly!

Thanks! ~mark

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
For what it’s worth, GlobalSat‘s manual does show the S4 has a different chip set. The S4 has the “SiRF Star IV GSD4e” chipset while the N has the “High performance chipset”. The receiver specs are the same however the N has 75 channels while the 4e has 48. Other than “Acquisition Rate” times, most all other specs look to be the same.

I have yet to receive my SDS100 and its sophistication is a bit intimidating. Plus, I am dumber’n a rock when it comes to this level of technical complexity and the information shared on this forum has been tremendous resource.

The GPS is going to be the first accessory so I do appreciate the comparison being done by a knowledgable user! I look forward to hearing the results and will order accordingly!

Thanks! ~mark

The key is that both of them output NMEA.
What Exactly Is GPS NMEA Data? - GPS World

And, the new(er) chipset -a reason why I decided to order one.
The BR-355S4 shows "EL", (end of life) on their website and it (and the SiRF chipset) have been around for quite a few years now.

Maybe the new chipset performs better...(?)

And.... GPS is one of the top features of these Uniden radios, so yes, get a GPS right away - it is well worth it.

Just remember, that "sophistication" is all about how much effort you put into it.
It is possible to build very complex favorite lists with location settings (called "rectangles") and the radio will literally switch as you cross a state line/county line/city limits, etc.

Last edited:

Maraquistain

I will get one headed my way.

PS786- Thanks for asking the question!

Nessnet- Thanks for working the issue- your help is appreciated and will save me and others $$!

~mark

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
I have a question about the Uniden BC-UTGC cable. I am trying to gear towards having both USB A and USB C cables which I can power my SDS100 using PD power banks that accept either USB A or USB C. Is there a cable that has a USB C power interface instead of the USB A interface that saves the same purposes as the BC-UTGC cable, or has anyone used a USB A to USB C power adapter end on the end of the USB A to convert it to accept 5 volt power from USB C? Seems those adaptors are a bit hit or miss and I have not tried one yet to see if it works properly. Also considering most vehicles are now converting to USB C interface it should be something, I would think, that there would be a market for if there isn’t already a newer version solution to this cable which would not require the use of a power adaptor.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
1: There is no USBC cable - that I know of. As to adapters, I have no idea. You'll have to experiment (and spend $).

2: Why not just use a power bank with a USB A port? That is what I do.

3: Uniden chose to go with the BC-SGPS, which in my opinion is a POS. Rat's nest of clunky cables and the GPS rec'vr itself has horrible sensitivity. Avoid it.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
I have a question about the Uniden BC-UTGC cable. I am trying to gear towards having both USB A and USB C cables which I can power my SDS100 using PD power banks that accept either USB A or USB C. Is there a cable that has a USB C power interface instead of the USB A interface that saves the same purposes as the BC-UTGC cable, or has anyone used a USB A to USB C power adapter end on the end of the USB A to convert it to accept 5 volt power from USB C? Seems those adaptors are a bit hit or miss and I have not tried one yet to see if it works properly. Also considering most vehicles are now converting to USB C interface it should be something, I would think, that there would be a market for if there isn’t already a newer version solution to this cable which would not require the use of a power adaptor.
I just tested this with an official Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter I had around and connected it to my USB-C Powerbank and it works. It is powering the GPS correctly, and the voltage being received is reading about 4.85V.

I also just tried it on a 30w USB-C only AC Adapter, and everything is powering correctly.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
I agree I’m already set up to run from a power bank and have, but was just curious if there was a native solution to the GPS cable with USB C instead of using a USB A to USB C adapter. I lease my vehicles and the next one I get will have multiple USB C ports with one native USB A cable inside the console so I am trying to forward think for this reason. I suspect USB A will go totally away in cars in the next 5 years since everything has gone wireless connect and USB C is becoming the standard in cars for physical connection.

I am glad to hear that the Apple adapter works. I will then either pick one of those up or try something similar to see if it works. I have read a lot about them not working with certain devices and have had issues with my Sandisk USB C hard drives not working with them if I want to connect two at once to my desktop which only has one USB C port as it does not work with my USB A ports.