SDS100/SDS200: GPS with the SDS100

N1GTL

Database Admin
I have the full Uniden set up and have used the GPS with great success. I see a self contained puck type GPS on Amazon. I'm not sure how this link will show:

Can this just plug into the SDS100 and that's it? A downside is not being able to plug the power in but this is a lot neater than what I have.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
I have the full Uniden set up and have used the GPS with great success. I see a self contained puck type GPS on Amazon. I'm not sure how this link will show:

Can this just plug into the SDS100 and that's it? A downside is not being able to plug the power in but this is a lot neater than what I have.

You'll need that GPS, a USB power source, and the special Uniden SDS100 cable to make it work.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I saw the SDS100 and this puck being sold on a different site. It looks like the puck has the same end as the charging/programming cable. The seller mentioned just plugging it in and it works. Odd.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I saw the SDS100 and this puck being sold on a different site. It looks like the puck has the same end as the charging/programming cable. The seller mentioned just plugging it in and it works. Odd.
This is the connector on that GPS unit that you linked to:

1688057121181.png
There is no port on the SDS100 that will accept that connector directly.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Looks like it has a mini-DIN connector.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

That puck from Amazon, as well as the cable lynnsnyder noted, is what I use.

That cable has a USB connector to plug into a power source, the connector to fit the scanner, and the connector for the puck. Plug it into a power adapter that will provide 2.0 amps from it's USB port. That will give you enough current capacity to run the scanner & the puck, and also enable you to charge the scanner when connected.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
About a year or so ago, I only paid about $20 for the Uniden cable and about $30 for the GPS puck, and I had a extra cigarette to USB power adapter (car also has USB ports to provide power) and the grand total was about $50. I did it because I don’t need the extra cables and support for other scanners. But, I don’t think others can get to that $50 price point for awhile, and the next viable option would be Uniden’s own GPSK BC-SGPS is a better deal at $79.

On another note, I was interested in getting a GPS kit for my SDS200 even though it sits on my desk. I don’t have any time drift issues, but just wanted to make my setup complete. Uniden has the CB-GPSK that is used for both the SDS200 and their Beartracker CB Radio 885 that used to retail for $79, but now it‘s $99! It’s the same GPS module as the GPSK BC-SGPS minus the other cables, but once again the GPSK BC-SGPS is the better deal at $79.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber

donc13

Premium Subscriber
I think that GPS module needs software that runs in windows to use it...
Don't think it's self contained...
GPS modules output standard "gps sentences" so yes, they need software to display the data in the sentences. So in that sense, they are self contained, they are standardized. No matter what device you plug it into, there has to be software to read and display the information but there are tons of devices that work on any "platform" that has software that understands those gps sentences.

Obviously the sds series has that software that knows how to understand the gps sentences.

littlebigbaby

Premium Subscriber

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber

Premium Subscriber
Well the route I went... and many other here on RR suggested apparently isn't available at the moment.
The GlobalSat BR-355S4 GPS Receiver was only $25 or so depending what website you purchased from.
The cable came straight from Uniden. GPS USB Cable For SDS100. I think ran another $20

Not sure why these are no longer available, and other options are much more expensive.

Sorry.. this doesn't help your cause either. BUT, for what its worth, this setup works very well especially for the price.

littlebigbaby

Premium Subscriber
A USB-OTG cable on the SDS100's MicroUSB port won't work for GPS purposes. That port is for an unreleased feature that sadly died when the designer of the SDS100 passed, too. So far, it can only power the SDS100 but that's about it.
Ah, yep, just noticed it was micro USB not mini. Dang. Was hoping I'd be able to get those parts off the shelf rather than having to make my own cable.

I just went with the GlobalSat BR-355N, $45 at time of writing, and the Uniden serial cable, $21 at time of writing. Annoying considering in the year 2023 I'd expect my $650 scanner originally designed in 2018 to have built-in GPS. It's the only mobile scanner on the market unless you wanted to cobble together an odd tablet and SDR machine. Oh well, rant over.

Big Scanner has the market captured. Lol.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Last edited: