• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is Motorola HAM friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrwill

As jim202 says, I have a Spectra on VHF in the mobile.

I ran Twin V and T Power mobile radios back in the 60's and 70's, they had funny things in them that lit up and got HOT ..vacuum tubes.
I always wanted the /\/\otorola Metrum radio.

n5ims

They were also very easy to program. You didn't need an old slow computer with special software and a special RIB, cables, etc. You simply got the necessary crystals (or channel elements, if you really needed that much frequency stability) and you were good.

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber

I ran Twin V and T Power mobile radios back in the 60's and 70's, they had funny things in them that lit up and got HOT ..vacuum tubes.

Speaking of those radios, when the headlights dim, it's a real radio ;)

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
According to an inflation calculator in 1976 the Motorola Metrum II priced at $250 would be equivalent to $1150 today and thats half the suggested list according to the ad of Erickson com in chicago 1976

K9RPL

I miss my LHT 450MHz Motrac that I converted to the 440 Amateur band. Solid state RX and TX exciter but a tube final. Tube was in good shape and would hit almost full power but I ran it at 25 watts to extend the life. I had that radio in my car for a couple of years and eventually sold it to buy my IC-230. Great radio. One of the Great Ones.

peq387ab

Premium Subscriber
I have gotten CPS software over the years which is easy to get once you have established an account with Motorola. One thing is you must complete a narrowbanding course in order to get the 25 KHz software which is used in the Ham stuff still. Motorola is typically known for public safety stuff and something to keep in mind is the radios and software can be expensive. If you got one radio unit your best bet is to find a dealership close by to program it since that can be done cheaper sometimes, since they are not really geared for ham radio.

romanr

You still need the 25kHz entitlement to program a 20kHz channel....
You and Gary both missed the point. It is often called a "25kHz option/EID" but GMRS and the two wide MURS channels call for 20kHz limits yet many people are programming their radios for 25kHz across GMRS and MURS...

Last edited:

N4KVE

yet many people are programming their radios for 25kHz across GMRS and MURS...
And that’s how my radio is programmed. And since I only use MURS to listen to the local Walmart once a year, & GMRS to also listen to one a year, it sounds just fine. It’s only an issue if someone has type accepted equipment, & intends to transmit there.

Status
Not open for further replies.