BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Is My BCD396XT Worth Sending to Uniden for Repair?

topgun260

I purchased a used BCD396XT a while back from the RR Classifieds. I generally like the scanner but have noticed from day 1 that the receiver seems pretty weak. At this point it doesn't really matter but I am pretty sure it has always been weak since I received it which may have been why it was sold.
I seem to recall a post here about someone saying that they've had to send in their 396XT for a damaged front end and that it was a very short time and it was damaged again. I can't find that post now. Has anyone else experienced this? And yes I have checked, the attenuator is not on and I have compared several antennas with my 396XT and I have compared multiple other scanners to it using the same antenna.
I'm just having a hard time spending nearly $100 for Uniden to repair it when it's not worth much more than that already. Also, I wouldn't be very happy if I lost sensitivity shortly after if I had it repaired.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I generally like the scanner but have noticed from day 1 that the receiver seems pretty weak. At this point it doesn't really matter but I am pretty sure it has always been weak since I received it which may have been why it was sold.

How well does it receive your local NOAA weather channels?

topgun260

The nearest NOAA transmitter is nearly 50 miles away in mountainous terrain so it is a good indicator of how well a receiver and antenna are working.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Squelch ? Set it for 2.
Take a qtip with isopropyl alcohol and remove the antenna on the radio and swab the antenna all around the silver ground connector & where the antenna connects. * If you try this, DON’T apply pressure to the connector as you don’t want to spread the contacts apart !
It did help a lot for me and several others, the connectors, mainly the silver ground contacts can get quite dirty and limit the reception.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
You bought it used. Why not just buy another used one in good working order? I don’t know what the used market is asking or how it compares to what Uniden charges for repairs but you’d probably get a used one quicker than getting yours back from Uniden repair.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If it’s that deaf, get a better scanner. Use that $100 towards something better. Depending if you have serious simulcast in your area will depend on what would be better. A 325p2 is a good option in light simulcast areas. But a SDS 100 would work great in a heavy simulcast area. Good luck

wtp

and the last resort..
the wife took my old working and non-working radios and set up an entertainment shelf with them.
and under it is the old and somewhat new computer stuff.
and even a zaxxon video game motherboard from god knows when.

topgun260

If it’s that deaf, get a better scanner. Use that $100 towards something better. Depending if you have serious simulcast in your area will depend on what would be better. A 325p2 is a good option in light simulcast areas. But a SDS 100 would work great in a heavy simulcast area. Good luck
I like that idea. I just need to find a nice 325P2 for a good price. Do you have one for sale by chance?

topgun260

and the last resort..
the wife took my old working and non-working radios and set up an entertainment shelf with them.
and under it is the old and somewhat new computer stuff.
and even a zaxxon video game motherboard from god knows when.
Sounds like you started a little museum!

Reactions: wtp

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Did you try factory reset? When all else fails it's usually the last thing I try.

I own 2 of its analog cousin, the 346xt. They're my workhorses with excellent reception. If there's an issue it seems likely that it is isolated to the 396xt

Last edited:

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
I don’t know what the used market is asking
1 arm + 1 leg.

My 2 cents- I would see if I could get $85-$100 for it as is. If not, fix it and sell it for $175-$200. If it's in prime physical condition I bet it will sell for that easily on Fleabay. There's others in top condition listed at $265 and $300, it's a safe bet.

wtp

Scanner Reset to initialize the scanner's memory, turn off the scanner. Then press 2, 9, and Hold while turning it on (It helps if you can lay it flat). The scanner will give you the option 'Restore Preprogram List? "Yes"=E/No="."', if you press 'E/Yes', the scanner reloads the preprogrammed systems.
Important! This deletes all programmed data.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If the scanner was ever dropped there is a chance the connector came loose where its soldered to the board. If your handy, remove the back cover and look at the connector with a magnifier. I have also read, and had it happen on my 330 and 436, where the locking nut/ring was loose and caused reception to diminish.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
All good suggestions (relating to antenna issues). Especially the one about the broken solder joint on the antenna connection inside where it connects to the circuit board. Paying Uniden’s repair fee of close to $100 plus shipping costs to fix one connection is a bit much… and you have to wait out the turnaround time before it comes back to you. I have both the BCD396T and the BCD396XT. When I only had the BCD396T I had the broken solder connection and resoldered it myself. When the BCD396XT came out I gave my BCD396T to a friend and got the XT model. I missed the T so I got a used one (don’t ask me why. But I dedicated it to the garage (for when I’m puttering around in the garage or driveway) and powered it with the charging cord. As my local PD and FD still reside on the conventional side of things the radio is still viable. I picked up the newer BCD325P2 later and the XT is now repurposed. I take to events such as air shows and “loan” it out to trusted friends, primarily to those with youngsters who get a hoot out of listening to the comms… my way of promoting the hobby! Air shows are also a great place to sell used equipment. I’ve gotten some great offers to sell these radios at prices way above fair market prices… something I would never do, the idea of promoting the hobby and air shows goes out the window if I gouge someone and sell a radio at over a fair market price… leaving them with a sour taste in their mouth every time they think of air shows. But I am aware an increase of $100 above fair market value is acceptable, given the ability to use the scanner immediately, pre-programmed.

radioopperator

Feed Provider
Its $95.00 AND they do a ****TY JOB AT DOING NOTHING! I just sent a 325P2 to them because the frontend is so wide it hears forty plus freqs on each side of any conventional frequency. They sent back saying nothing wrong!!!