BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Is My BCD396XT Worth Sending to Uniden for Repair?

topgun260

UPDATE

So, after all the ideas presented here, I decided to dig a little deeper into the problem and make sure that I had exhausted all options before sending it into Uniden.
I heated up my solder iron and touched up the antenna connections to make sure that there wasn't a problem there. No difference.
But what it finally was, and I'm surprised I didn't find this sooner, is the center "hole" in the SMA connector on the radio. The center pin of the antenna or connecting cable was apparently not making connection probably due to antennas being changed often and it being worn. I used a small pick and slid it between the dielectric and the metal of the center "hole" and gently pried the metal "hole" so that its diameter was slightly less. This seems to have allowed the center pin of the SMA male connector to make good contact in the "hole" and it now receives great.

Thanks for all the ideas that ultimately got me trying other options before sending it out for repair!

Hopefully this helps someone else too!

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
I have 3 of the 396xt's... pretty much my favorite handheld model. One i bought with a broken sma connector and took a chance and ordered a replacement generic one off ebay and it fit perfect but is maybe a fraction shorter on the outside of the case.. don't know how long it will hold up but so far seems fine.