Is SDS100 overkill?

Chris0516

I have had the 325p2 since 2018, and the 436HP few months. I got the 436HP instead of the SDS-100, because. Despite the simulcast issue. It doesn't cost as much, and I read of a lot of people not happy with the SDS-100.

W8KIC

Premium Subscriber
I have had the 325p2 since 2018, and the 436HP few months. I got the 436HP instead of the SDS-100, because. Despite the simulcast issue. It doesn't cost as much, and I read of a lot of people not happy with the SDS-100.
When I first got into listening to scanners back in 2018, I purchased a 996P2, kinda sorta "outta the blue" without performing even a modicum of basic research on what would very likely be needed for monitoring in my area (Northeast Ohio - Cleveland proper) That turned out to be a big mistake and a somewhat expensive one at that. Back then, there were still a number of users on the older 420MHz systems but the changes were already underway in my area as far as migration towards the newer 800MHz trunked radio systems. Practically every law enforcement agency in Cuyahoga County is on the Greater Cleveland Radio Communications Network ("GCRCN") and most FD's are on the state system (Ohio MARCS-IP) It turns out that yours truly was living right in the middle of an LSM hell hole and that"old" 996P2, while terrific on analog systems, just wasn't going to cut the mustard on the newer multi tower P25 trunked systems UNLESS I happened to be that somewhat rare exception who lived in a sweet spot where LSM distortion wasn't an issue or a lot less of one. The last thing I wanted to do was to go out and purchase another scanner a couple of months after getting the 996P2. I ended up selling it to a friend who lives over in Euclid, Ohio right on the edge of Lake Erie. I told him that it may well not work for him but surprise surprise, he'd beaten the odds and as it turned out, lived in one of those rare spots that wasn't bothered by simulcast distortion. The SDS 200 that I'd ordered finally arrived and as soon as I hooked it up, I'd realized what I should have acquired right from the start. While it is possible for you to monitor multi tower P25 trunked systems using an analog scanner, DON'T COUNT ON IT! Unless you have the ability to borrow one from a friend and listen to it over at your own home (as well as several locations from within your home) to confirm that it will work for you, don't throw away money on something as a result of failing to perform a little due diligence beforehand. You'll notice that I haven't brought up the much more affordable option of a full SDR because I really wanted a scanner in my particular case. Also, I'm not blind to the reality that the SDS 200 does a less than admirable job when it comes to receiving analog signals so if your area manages to have a few of the older systems that are still in operation, hang onto those somewhat older scanners for as long as you can.

Chris0516

When I first got into listening to scanners back in 2018, I purchased a 996P2, kinda sorta "outta the blue" without performing even a modicum of basic research on what would very likely be needed for monitoring in my area (Northeast Ohio - Cleveland proper) That turned out to be a big mistake and a somewhat expensive one at that. Back then, there were still a number of users on the older 420MHz systems but the changes were already underway in my area as far as migration towards the newer 800MHz trunked radio systems. Practically every law enforcement agency in Cuyahoga County is on the Greater Cleveland Radio Communications Network ("GCRCN") and most FD's are on the state system (Ohio MARCS-IP) It turns out that yours truly was living right in the middle of an LSM hell hole and that"old" 996P2, while terrific on analog systems, just wasn't going to cut the mustard on the newer multi tower P25 trunked systems UNLESS I happened to be that somewhat rare exception who lived in a sweet spot where LSM distortion wasn't an issue or a lot less of one. The last thing I wanted to do was to go out and purchase another scanner a couple of months after getting the 996P2. I ended up selling it to a friend who lives over in Euclid, Ohio right on the edge of Lake Erie. I told him that it may well not work for him but surprise surprise, he'd beaten the odds and as it turned out, lived in one of those rare spots that wasn't bothered by simulcast distortion. The SDS 200 that I'd ordered finally arrived and as soon as I hooked it up, I'd realized what I should have acquired right from the start. While it is possible for you to monitor multi tower P25 trunked systems using an analog scanner, DON'T COUNT ON IT! Unless you have the ability to borrow one from a friend and listen to it over at your own home (as well as several locations from within your home) to confirm that it will work for you, don't throw away money on something as a result of failing to perform a little due diligence beforehand. You'll notice that I haven't brought up the much more affordable option of a full SDR because I really wanted a scanner in my particular case. Also, I'm not blind to the reality that the SDS 200 does a less than admirable job when it comes to receiving analog signals so if your area manages to have a few of the older systems that are still in operation, hang onto those somewhat older scanners for as long as you can.
Actually tried to do an SDR before I got my 325p2, then again before I got my 436HP. Both times, I couldn't get one to work.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure. Considering that the Whistler TRX-1 can be had for $400 new, the SDS-100 can be a hard sell. Set up correctly the TRX-1 can handle our simulcast here. I caught a ton of police chases and whatnot on it. I bought an SDS-100 and some upgrades and parked it on a shelf. The deciding factor was one night I could not bring in OKCFD on the TRX-1 when a thick plume of smoke drifted over my house. I'm sure it was a programming error on my part, but I could *not* correct it.
Enter the SDS-100. It's simple to make adjustments with one exception: the location. I couldn't get the 100 to update locations along I-44 on my way to last year's Claremore Hamfest. I had the TRX-1, so I plugged in about a dozen zip codes and a 50 mile radius. I could hear bird poop landing on OHP cruisers and I heard a mouse fart in someone's ham shack.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure. Considering that the Whistler TRX-1 can be had for $400 new, the SDS-100 can be a hard sell. Set up correctly the TRX-1 can handle our simulcast here. I caught a ton of police chases and whatnot on it. I bought an SDS-100 and some upgrades and parked it on a shelf. The deciding factor was one night I could not bring in OKCFD on the TRX-1 when a thick plume of smoke drifted over my house. I'm sure it was a programming error on my part, but I could *not* correct it.
Enter the SDS-100. It's simple to make adjustments with one exception: the location. I couldn't get the 100 to update locations along I-44 on my way to last year's Claremore Hamfest. I had the TRX-1, so I plugged in about a dozen zip codes and a 50 mile radius. I could hear bird poop landing on OHP cruisers and I heard a mouse fart in someone's ham shack.
I've owned virtually every GRE made scanner and several from Uniden. There's a partial list in my tag line. The TRX-1 is clearly the WORSE scanner I've ever owned. It's so bad I wrote a review, published it in several places, and contacted Whister.

While you might have good luck with a TRX-1, in no way was it designed to handle Simulcast. And that's not hardly the only issue it lacks on. I'd hate for someone to do a search and land on this post and think getting a TRX-1 would be acceptable for their situation. Only to waste that $400+ and then have to purchase an SDS-100 or equivalent acceptable solution. If you are not monitoring a Simulcast system, yes there are several good solutions out there; but I still would not suggest a TRX-1.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've said it many times on this forum: The SDS 100 & 200 will let you listen to just about everything you're entitled, including simulcast. It's worth the price because of it's versatility.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Get a GPS puck and Cable.

Chris0516

I've owned virtually every GRE made scanner and several from Uniden. There's a partial list in my tag line. The TRX-1 is clearly the WORSE scanner I've ever owned. It's so bad I wrote a review, published it in several places, and contacted Whister.

While you might have good luck with a TRX-1, in no way was it designed to handle Simulcast. And that's not hardly the only issue it lacks on. I'd hate for someone to do a search and land on this post and think getting a TRX-1 would be acceptable for their situation. Only to waste that $400+ and then have to purchase an SDS-100 or equivalent acceptable solution. If you are not monitoring a Simulcast system, yes there are several good solutions out there; but I still would not suggest a TRX-1.
I didn't know all that about the TRX-1. But still glad I didn't get it.

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
Premium Subscriber

I'm with you on a lot of that. I learned here what simulcast is and that the TRX was not designed for it, but can, in some cases, receive it. Mine does. Curious, I dug in and found out why it does, or you could say why its simulcast reception will get worse and worse over time.
I own four scanners. Of them the TRX-1 is one of the easier ones to work with. My other Whistler can be hooked up to a PC and it gets used occasionally. The last one is a Uniden from 327 B.C. It runs on wind power and can pick up smoke signals. OK, not that old, but pre narrowbanding and supposedly has volatile memory, though it's never dumped its programming on me. On either of those I can't just punch in a frequency and go, but I can tune the TRX-1 or the SDS-100 to a particular "object" in my sleep.
There's the price, too. $400 for a scanner that still does the job, doesn't have to sit on a charger before use, doesn't break when you change the batteries, cones with a case, and knows what DMR is from the word "go" vs $1,000 (after upgrades and buying a case and extra battery) for a scanner that doesn't do much more (if anything), there's a solid argument for the Whistler.
IMHO if you have the money to spend on an SDS-100, buy them *both*. The SDS-100 may be the better scanner overall, but the simple fact is they each have things they're better at that the other, regardless of cost.
I own both and primarily carry the SDS-100, but if for some reason I can't, I still have a useful scanner that'll work just fine. On road trips, they both go.
Get a GPS puck and Cable.

Yep. I learned about those on this forum. I also understand an internal GPS mod may still be possible. It's been done but that Reyax module went out of production.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I also understand an internal GPS mod may still be possible. It's been done but that Reyax module went out of production.
I think Jon took most of his secrets about the internal GPS with him when he left. That's sad because his internal system was great. I have one and it's always worked perfectly.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
I am working on an internal GPS option myself. If/when I get it working I'll let everyone know how it's doing. I'm sure it want be ANYWHERE near as good as Jon.