Is there a better antenna for BCD996XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
I don't want to mount an external antenna, so is the stock antenna that comes with the 996XT as good as it gets? Or is there a better indoor base antenna for it?

csocci

How well the antenna works depends on which frequencies you are most interested in. The higher the frequency, the worse the indoor antenna is because the walls of your building are reducing most of the signal.

Even if you could get the stock antenna *outside* - even just outside your window, you would see an improvement.

Other than that, you could try a mobile mag mount type scanner antenna that is designed for the frequencies you are most interested in.

Mount the magnet on a cookie sheet and try and get it near the window. Optionally a metal file cabinet, radiator, etc - but go for something flat and solid so the magnet can "couple" the antenna to the "ground plane" of the cookie sheet, etc.

Or mount a discone type antenna in your attic.

With antennas, location is most of the battle. A ****ty antenna at 35' in the clear will run rings around the best antenna that is located inside a house.

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
The one I am having trouble with is UHF. So, if i get a UHF antenna, will my other channels that I am currently not having a problem with be adversely effected?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
The one I am having trouble with is UHF. So, if i get a UHF antenna, will my other channels that I am currently not having a problem with be adversely effected?

If you get a antenna that is tuned for UHF only,the other freqs that are not UHF will be effected somewhat.

jfhtm350

Get a Diamond RH77CA antenna. I think you may need the sma version of it, but you will not be dissapointed in it. I can pick up signals 80-100 miles away northeast in my house when atmosphere is right. 40-50 miles consistantly in the same direction. It would pick up better if it was outside of course but I didnt want to setup an antenna either.

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I was in the same boat not too long ago.. I have to run an mobile antenna inside the house here. I got me a pizza pan slapped a mag mount in the middle placed it near a window and so far everything is going smoothly. I just popped a few freqs in manually to see how it receives.. again so far so good. I have not programmed a whole system in it yet... believet it or not it- I get a bit cloudy when i get it all sorted out i'm sure i'll be good to go soon. I'll spend some time withit this weekend. I am using an Austin Spectra Antenna. for the 780 and the Radio shack 800 for my 996...

Status
Not open for further replies.