Is there a good P-25 phase 2 scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am trying to get some good ideas on a good P-25 scanner that is not a Whistler. Not my favorite radio. I would also like something easey to program.

Thanks
John

Hit_Factor

Uniden makes several good scanners capable of phase 2.

Generally, easy to program is not a characteristic of trunking scanners. But, you'll likely getting the hang of it browsing the Uniden tech support forum and reading scanner specific wiki pages.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
The Uniden's are pretty easy to program. If you don't believe me, try programming a XTS or APX with Astro25 CPS and then tell me what you think of scanner programming software...

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber

N8IAA

For far less money, the Blue Tail P25RX. The owner is very active on this site.
But, once again, check the database for info on the statewide system for your county.
I think you will find the answer there. ;)

ArtU

Frankly having had 2 Uniden trucking scanners [996xt & SDS200] and the Whistlers, each will require you to learn their "way" you must program them. I still have my SDS200 due to simulcast and my handheld and desktop Whistler. I find Whistler EZ-Scan to be easier on my mind then the Uniden Sentinel. On a trip to the Cape I was able to easily [less then 10 mins] setup all the Canaveral and Kennedy P25 and DMR talk groups on my Whistler HT which came in handy. On the 3am flight of Space-X Crew Demo while outside, folks streaming the launch on Ipads were like 20 seconds behind the Cape's rocket tracking camera guy doing the count down. Without that one of the photo guys in our group outside the hotel would have missed part of the night time liftoff.

ArtU

But, once again, check the database for info on the statewide system for your county.

They have been out of stock since the chip shortages, shame as it seems very versatile for a low cost.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber

$400 vs $650 ... I wouldn't really call that "far less money" especially given the things the P25RX-II won't handle ... at least not yet.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
As I understand the BT receiver, you are stuck in front of a Windows computer to use it. For some, that is the answer. For others, it is a drawback.

ArtU

Yea, Like an SDR-Play, everyone has a computer if they are posting here ... Sayin' I am not rich and I have 4 of them

FreqNout

As I understand the BT receiver, you are stuck in front of a Windows computer to use it.
P25rx and p25rx-II rigs can both run stand alone no computer needed after configured. The software can also be run a Mac and linux. They are hard to get right now due to chip shortages. P25rx-ii has been for sale this week - sold out now again.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
They are such a good unit, Todd can't produce enough for the demand.. These are equal to or superior to the Unidens and even the unication.. I have had several model s and now have a model II.. Keep an eye on the Bluetailtechnologies.com webpage for availability..

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
I use mine to hear the transmissions, not read them.. I use a bluetooth speaker so audio isn't an issue.. No need for keyboard, other than programming, functions are controlled by the button on the front of the unit..And I saved 200+ dollars.. Well worth it to me.. Just sayin'..
As for " They only do P25 ".. Thats TODAY'S specification.. Todd is constantly updating and revising the units..Unlike the Uniden, Todd listens and responds..

Status
Not open for further replies.