Is there any such animal?

bubbablitz

Hello. I’ve cut the cord a long time ago watching tv using only my Roku player. I used to have Dish as my DSS provider years ago, and their parabolic antenna still sits up on the mast. Out of curiosity, I hooked up my living room tv to the coax, scanned for channels, and was able to lock on to 29 channels from the general direction of a mountaintop site to the south used for tv broadcast, and all of the channels come in clearly with no pixelation on any of the available channels.

Bear with me. My question is, there is another mountaintop site, to the north,in the opposite direction. I have an Austin Ferret scanner antenna sitting in my garage that I bought a few years ago, but never used. It’s rated as 25-1300 mhz. Is there any such coupler that goes N connector male, 50 ohm to F connector female, 75 ohm, or does it really matter? Thank you to all!

prcguy

Hello. I’ve cut the cord a long time ago watching tv using only my Roku player. I used to have Dish as my DSS provider years ago, and their parabolic antenna still sits up on the mast. Out of curiosity, I hooked up my living room tv to the coax, scanned for channels, and was able to lock on to 29 channels from the general direction of a mountaintop site to the south used for tv broadcast, and all of the channels come in clearly with no pixelation on any of the available channels.

Bear with me. My question is, there is another mountaintop site, to the north,in the opposite direction. I have an Austin Ferret scanner antenna sitting in my garage that I bought a few years ago, but never used. It’s rated as 25-1300 mhz. Is there any such coupler that goes N connector male, 50 ohm to F connector female, 75 ohm, or does it really matter? Thank you to all!
A Dish LNB can in no way pick up any off air TV signals so what you are receiving is being picked up by cable leakage, meaning those stations are very strong in your area. A typical scanner antenna should pick them up and more way better.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Is there any such coupler that goes N connector male, 50 ohm to F connector female, 75 ohm, or does it really matter? Thank you to all!

I’m here to ask the RF experts.

Then maybe next time you should be more specific and put "asking rf experts only".

You asked if it existed, and if you look at the google search, what you asked for is there.

N connector male, 50 ohm to F connector female, 75 ohm,

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Google is like a blind man in a dark room. I’m here to ask the RF experts. Thank you for your help.

Yeah it really is... (@dave3825 stole my first choice) :)

1701803456057.png

bubbablitz

A Dish LNB can in no way pick up any off air TV signals so what you are receiving is being picked up by cable leakage, meaning those stations are very strong in your area. A typical scanner antenna should pick them up and more way better.
I understand that low band is for the most part, is no longer used. If what I’m receiving is in the 300-3000 mhz spectrum, it’s coming in loud and clear. Even though the antenna is positioned upward, I’m receiving all of the stations from that mountaintop, about 30 miles away, very clearly.

bubbablitz

Yeah it really is... (@dave3825 stole my first choice) :)

View attachment 152444
Thanks. If those specs are correct, I don’t mind spending the extra money.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
UHF TV channels occupy from 470 to about 608 MHz. Satellite LNB's receive in the 11 - 12 GHz range and downconvert it to ~12 MHz for the satellite receiving box to use.

As prcguy points out, a Dish LNB is unsuitable for OTA TV reception.

bubbablitz

Thank you. I wasn’t planning on using it permanently, but I am receiving 29 channels just by plugging the coax into the back of the tv.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I think that I did see a OTA tv antenna that kind of mounted around a parabolic reflector... I assume to get around the rules about having to be able to mount small dishes, but not necessarily OTA TV antennas.

It kind of would look like a halo antenna around the dishes perimeter. I'm trying to find a picture on the internet for you.

th

Thanks
Joel

prcguy

I understand that low band is for the most part, is no longer used. If what I’m receiving is in the 300-3000 mhz spectrum, it’s coming in loud and clear. Even though the antenna is positioned upward, I’m receiving all of the stations from that mountaintop, about 30 miles away, very clearly.

I think that I did see a OTA tv antenna that kind of mounted around a parabolic reflector... I assume to get around the rules about having to be able to mount small dishes, but not necessarily OTA TV antennas.

It kind of would look like a halo antenna around the dishes perimeter. I'm trying to find a picture on the internet for you.

th

Thanks
Joel
I'm very familiar with OTA antennas mounted to DBS dishes but they are not all that common. I would think the OP would have mentioned if there was an OTA antenna stuck to his dish to explain the reception.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I'm very familiar with OTA antennas mounted to DBS dishes but they are not all that common. I would think the OP would have mentioned if there was an OTA antenna stuck to his dish to explain the reception.
The OP may not be familier with it though, frankly it may be worthwhile for the OP to verify that the cable he connected is actually the one that goes to the LNB....

Thanks
Joel

merlin

I used a FTA LNB on a dish aimed at a mountaintop and got 64+ TV channels via the Hughe AML link.
Surprised if that even still exists. Everything has gone digital.

prcguy

I used a FTA LNB on a dish aimed at a mountaintop and got 64+ TV channels via the Hughe AML link.
Hughes AML was mostly in the 13GHz range but since it was AM modulated you only need to downconvert it, no receiver needed. I worked in a lab next to the AML division at Hughes in the 90s and when they moved out of the building I was given a huge 12 or 13 channel system used in their training lab.

Hughes AML is long gone but my ex big boss started his own company, first refurbishing Hughes AML equipment then he designed his own line of microwave links and they are a world leader in microwave links today. When I retired from my last gig my boss stole an engineer from that company as my replacement.

And a picture of the OPs dish that received all the OTA channels would be nice to see if it has an OTA antenna stuck on.