Is there anything going on in the VHF TV bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldglide

Some of the newer scanners include the VHF TV bands that were lost to the HD conversion, another FCC milestone, has anyone heard any activity on these bands?

N

N_Jay

What frequencies are do you mean?

The VHF TV channels are still assigned to VHF TV.

Oldglide

Really?

I know they are assigned those spots but they are not there anymore. Channels 2-5 and most of 7-13 are now in the UHF band. I wanted to know if anyone has heard ANY activity of any kind other than TV audio.

Last edited:

n5ims

Yes, several full power DTV stations broadcast on channels 7 - 13 (for instance http://forums.radioreference.com/mississippi-radio-discussion-forum/170976-wdam-tv.html is one that just recently moved from UHF to VHF channel 7 for their DTV broadcasts). There are also a handful in the 2 - 6 channel range.

Here's a fairly old list of full power VHF DTV stations --> Antennas Direct | List of digital TV stations broadcasting on VHF

That list is by no means complete as well. Dallas, TX has at least 3 VHF DTV stations, while none are on the list. New York City only has one listed, but they have at least 5. In your area, WBBM uses ch 12, WLS is back on ch 7 and WOCK-CA (a class A - low power) is on ch 13. There may be others, but the databases generally stopped being updated after the switch took place so current information isn't easy to find quickly.

N

N_Jay

Yes, the belief that VHF is being abandoned by TV is incorrect.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
USA TV bands

I know they are assigned those spots but they are not there anymore. Channels 2-5 and most of 7-13 are now in the UHF band. I wanted to know if anyone has heard ANY activity of any kind other than TV audio.
Don't be confused by the channel numbers displayed by your TV or converter box. A station that has been called channel "3" for years is still called that. In my area channel 3 is now physically broadcasting on channel 35.

Channels 2-6 are still assigned to TV, although for technical reasons not many broadcasters are broadcasting in digital on those frequencies (regardless of what your TV displays as the channel).

Channels 7-13 are still assigned to TV, and there are quite a few stations broadcasting here. Channels 14-51 are still assigned to TV and that is where the bulk of physical TV broadcasts now are in the USA. Additionally, there are low power stations, broadcasting in both analog (NTSC) and digital (ATSC) on any of these channels (2-51). There are also a lot of applications or construction permits for new stations; mostly low power stations and ("fill in") repeaters.

Recently the FCC told those who are using wireless microphones in the band which was formerly TV channels 52 to 69 to stop broadcasting and find a new frequency. This, in part, is because that spectrum was sold and the new 'owner' wants everyone else off of it.

This is a huge topic actually, as I read tons of industry news every day regarding it. So if you're looking for something more specific, you'll need to narrow down your question.

Some of the newer scanners include the VHF TV bands that were lost to the HD conversion
They were not lost. They are still being used by TV.

has anyone heard any activity on these bands?
Yes, but not on my scanner.

ampulman

I accidentally pressed the 'band' button on my Sony Walkman (includes channels 2 - 13) and heard the NOAA weather broadcast.

It was heard on several channels.

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.