Is there programming software for Mac OSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpdx04

Bootcamp

Dear all

I use an iMac 24' with Bootcamp and have loaded windows XP to run my radio control software. This is the best of both worlds for me.

John
London UK

PS great site

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
Hello,

Running the USB-1, GRE USB Cable, and KeySpan USB to Serial Dongle under VM was successful. Installed the drivers on Mac and Windows side. VMWare Fusion 3 has settings to enable USB Ports. If not enabled, the VM does not see the cables. The ports only work if using VM. If you shift to the Mac side, the ports are disabled.

Finally, the best of both worlds! :)

Dave AKA The Tripzter

we12x42

A friend purchased an iMac recently,and I discovered XP SP2 will not run on Bootcamp.It must be SP3 or above.
So another friend recommended Virtual Box Downloads - VirtualBox
His reason is this:
Benefit #1... it is a free program.

Benefit #2... You don't need to partition the hard drive. All "free" space is therefore available to the Mac. The virtual Hard Drive that you make in the program is of a size you choose, but it only occupies as much space on the real drive as there is files within the Windows install. I can't remember what they call this, but it is a nice feature. Maybe "Smart" disk?

Anyway...

Benefit #3... Any backup strategy that backs up the Mac files also backs up the entire Windows setup as it is just a file. If there is any screwup with the Windows side, one can just go to the last good backup and retrieve the virtual HD from the backup and then you are back in business.

I find it is about 95% the speed of doing it via Bootcamp. It's possible to be even faster by using a commercial program like VMWare Parallels. However, for Windows XP, that's probably overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.