Is there.......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
The PSR800 might be the closest. It's a matter of navigating to the items you want to listen to and then selecting them. That would be the only one I could think of in a hand held form.

mancow

Database Admin
It's the newest GRE product. They are the company that makes the RadioShack models and also their own under the PSR name such as the PSR800, PSR500, PSR600 etc...

No prob on the newbie status, we were all there once.

Baskt_Case

In that same vein I guess theres the Pro-18 - The RadioReference Wiki and the Pro-107 - The RadioReference Wiki, both built by GRE but sold at RadioShack.

Are you considering the HomePatrol? It could easily function as a handheld. The battery life is pretty good, about 7 hours with the backlight set to continuous. Owning one, I can say its much smaller than you might expect. Sure was shocked at the size of the box when it arrived here, thats for sure. Plus, the touchscreen has a "lock" function so you wont fumble the settings when you carry it around.

Last edited:

Tracker

B C, I was looking for something that looked portable, (walkie talkie lookin)!
Mancow, I'll check you tube n see if there are any vids showing how difficult it is to program....
Thanks again

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE-800. I find it a lot easier to use than my Uniden 346xt, and it also decodes P25 digital modulation. I went for it over the H.P. because it fits nicely in my shirt pocket and once programmed with a good selection of scanlists it is easy to enable and disable them on the fly. And also, it cost about a hundred bucks less.

It is not perfect, but I am happy I bought it. I suggest you look in the GRE scanner forum here on RR and you will see many messages that will give you an idea of what it's like, what it's weaknesses (and there are weaknesses) and strengths (and there are also strengths) are. Best to be as informed as you can before you make a decision.

Tracker

I saw a few vids on you tube n as I understand it, the info comes preloaded on a 2MB memory card n you can upload what you want to listen too right from it.....doesn't sound terribly complex?
Am I correct in my assumption?(is this windows 7 compatible)?

Now am all excited......I might order it tonight...lol (any advice on where to order from or any accessories that I should get)?

Happy Holidays guys n thanks for your help n guidance...

Tracker

mrwilson706

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to the hobby but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the days of only being able to manually program a scanner are over. Just as the radio systems themselves have evolved, so must the scanner offerings. I feel confident that you'll be able to program ANY new scanner on the market with ease, so please don't let that affect your purchasing decision.

B C, I was looking for something that looked portable, (walkie talkie lookin)!

Why not look at the BCD396XT? You can manually program it if you choose to, or you can use FreeScan to upload/download programing as you see fit. I've found this software to be pretty stable and ultimately VERY EASY to use which has increased my scanner usage and overall satisfaction with my purchase.

Merry Christmas,
Mike KK4FRI

Tracker

Just placed my order at scannermaster.com for a GRE PSR-800 Scanner...it was pricey, so I hope it's worth the coins.....I'll let you know when it gets here.
Again thank you for all the assistance n guidance
Ozzy

KG4EMJ

I have the Radioshack PRO-18, which is the clone of the PRS-800 by GRE. So far, I love it. It's SOOOO easy to program compared to other radios. I was literally listening to state police here 60 seconds out of the box. I then spent a few more hours configuring the software on my PC and now the radio is up and running exactly how I want it. I think you'll love your new radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.