ISS Contact help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

1st Responder Correspondent
Banned
Joined
May 18, 2003
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
1,319
I have been hearing the ISS everyday but still haven't been able to get them. I'm using a dual band radio with one VFO on 144.4900 and the other VFO on 437.8000. I don't know what I am doing wrong because I'm hearing both sidesw of the conventions on the respective frequencies!!!

Thanks
 

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Messages
3,764
Reaction score
2,755
Location
California
* Use these two frequencies and set and use the tone for TX. This is for the voice repeater on the ISS to talk with other amateurs.

The following frequencies are currently used for Amateur Radio ISS contacts (QSOs):
Voice and SSTV Downlink: 145.80 (Worldwide)
Voice Uplink: 144.49 for ITU Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific and Southern Asia)
Voice Uplink: 145.20 for ITU Region 1 (Europe, Russia and Africa)
VHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 145.825 (Worldwide)
UHF Packet Uplink and Downlink: 437.550
* VHF/UHF Repeater Uplink: 145.99 (PL 67 Hz)
* VHF/UHF Repeater Downlink: 437.80


 

KJ4DHF

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2024
Messages
347
Reaction score
210
If you are trying to make contact thru the cross band repeater I think up is 145.990 pl 67.0, down is 437.800 is down.
 

dkcorlfla

Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2023
Messages
499
Reaction score
313
Location
Orlando
I have been hearing the ISS everyday but still haven't been able to get them. I'm using a dual band radio with one VFO on 144.4900 and the other VFO on 437.8000. I don't know what I am doing wrong because I'm hearing both sidesw of the conventions on the respective frequencies!!!

Thanks
How are you correcting for doppler?
 

wtp

Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,465
Reaction score
3,145
Location
Port Charlotte FL
i thought it was just a "mirror" as in it just repeats back.
and beware of the ground guys who transmit on the uplink,, we have a lot of that here.
 

RichardKramer

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
2,352
Reaction score
5,769
Location
Reading, PA
i thought it was just a "mirror" as in it just repeats back.
and beware of the ground guys who transmit on the uplink,, we have a lot of that here.
I think you mean ground guys who transmit on the downlink 437.8???
 
  • Like
Reactions: wtp

jaymatt1978

1st Responder Correspondent
Banned
Joined
May 18, 2003
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
1,319
More importantly, what is your ERP?

You’re not trying this with an HT on a helical antenna, are you?
No a base rig with an antenna on my roof pushing 100 watts
 

KJ4DHF

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2024
Messages
347
Reaction score
210
What type antenna you using? Can you hear yourself on the down link when you transmitting?
 

KJ4DHF

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2024
Messages
347
Reaction score
210
Well in your original post you typed 144.490 which is ; Voice Uplink: 144.49 for ITU Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific and Southern Asia) which is not the correct frequency for the uplink vhf/uhf cross band repeater.
 

jaymatt1978

1st Responder Correspondent
Banned
Joined
May 18, 2003
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
1,319
Well in your original post you typed 144.490 which is ; Voice Uplink: 144.49 for ITU Regions 2 and 3 (The Americas, and the Pacific and Southern Asia) which is not the correct frequency for the uplink vhf/uhf cross band repeater.
How can I hear myself?
 

KJ4DHF

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2024
Messages
347
Reaction score
210
To hear yourself you need a full duplex radio or a second radio.
 

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Joined
Nov 19, 2005
Messages
3,764
Reaction score
2,755
Location
California
You may desensitize the scanner when you TX and not hear yourself. Additionally, if someone was transmitting at the same time as you, the strongest signal to the ISS wins. Try it in the late evening on a pass. There are fewer stations trying to hit the bird.
 

KJ4DHF

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2024
Messages
347
Reaction score
210
The way you doing it now you have no idea if you making it to the repeater. You are basically calling for a DX station working split praying they hear you and answer and it will work but takes time and patience. I have tried several times to work cross band repeater and have had stations return my call, but when I go back to confirm and unkey be a jabber jaw calling all over me trying to make contact with someone else. 100w is more than enough to reach the repeater can use a lot less power if people would show some respect.
With finding out what type pattern your antenna radiates I would be watching for passes in the antennas best lobe. Have patience and keep trying you will bulldoze thru the pileup 1 day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top