ISS on 143.625 today 03-16-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodak1crdet3

Hello all,
Today I heard the ISS on 143.625 talking to Houston, 03:23pm. EST.
Was taking pictures & giving WX reports for the East coast. Took pictures of the Statue of Liberty, & West Point. Was looking forward to seeing the ice in the Polar region. Lost the signal around 03:26pm. EST.

SCPD

QRT
Hello all,
Was taking pictures & giving WX reports for the East coast. Took pictures of the Statue of Liberty, & West Point. Was looking forward to seeing the ice in the Polar region. Lost the signal around 03:26pm. EST.

Nice catch..They were talking to Huston on 143.625? Where is your location and where was the ISS at the time you received them? What are you using for equipment. I thought they used those Freq for EVAs or close in Soyuz's approach com's not for space to ground.

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Either your clock is off or you were being tricked, as the ISS wasn't over the US at that time. They were an hour earlier - at 323pm EDT (223pm EST) or 1923 UTC.

- Rob

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
ISS and the Space Shuttle use a lot of frequencies in or near the 2 Meter band besides those published for Amateur Radio contact. Over the last few years I've heard them several times on "unusual" frequencies conducting radio contact/interview activity with classrooms and schools. Very good sigs (assuming a pass is occurring and you are within the earth coverage footprint).

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Back when ISS was first launched, the 143MHz freq was all they had for comms with the ground. They still use those on the Russian side of the world, but around here they are only used to test for emergency backup purposes. Still worth keeping in the scanner.

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I have a recording of comms from a few years ago on 143.625, but They were only speaking Russian. Always wondered what they were saying.

Does anyone here speak Russian?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I have the ISS comms archived at Index of / - you can look up the date/time (Eastern Time) and they are translated to English.

nodak1crdet3

ISS on 143.625

Nice catch..They were talking to Huston on 143.625? Where is your location and where was the ISS at the time you received them? What are you using for equipment. I thought they used those Freq for EVAs or close in Soyuz's approach com's not for space to ground.

It's rare when they talk to Houston on this freq, but it is still used. My location is Detroit, Michigan. The ISS passed to the east of me, heading north east. I lost the signal some time after they passed NYC.
My equipment is just store bought scanners. I think the PRO-2052 was the first scanner to pick up the signal. It's hooked up to a Radio Shack discone on the roof, about 30 feet up from the ground. The other 6 scanners also heard the signal (If they had the freq programed in them) very well. You don't need any special equipment, you just need the right freq in the scanner. That's why I keep 143.625 in the scanners still. You never know when it will become active.

145.800 ISS some School contacts, & some Ham Radio contacts (Downlink).
145.825 ISS data burst.

ISS Frequencies | ISS Fan Club

A cool ISS tracking sight.
Human Space Flight (HSF) - Orbital Tracking

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I've heard activity, mostly Russian, on 143.625 over the years. Most recent was a couple of months ago and it was English being spoken. The transmission seemed to be from a hot mic, and was so clear I could hear others talking in the background besides the person on the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.