• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Issues with systems coming back in range after using PPS V4

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
I've been able to downgrade successfully by downgrading to 1.20 which uses a different bootloader then upgrading to 1.33. This process will erase your profile and audio recordings, so be sure to back up all your data first. I've had to do this to fix my G5 when it would booted up one day and switched to off duty and wouldn't receive anything or allow me to change zones or any other setting.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I've noticed my VHF G5 is not reacquiring systems that go out of range. I've tested it with my local system side by side with my other UHF G5, which I haven't programed with V4 yet, and the VHF G5 does not reacquire my local system when I remove the antenna and put it back on, but the UHF G5 does. I've tested this with other systems and still have the same issue. The only way I can get my VHF G5 to reacquire a system is to switch to another system and switch back. Has anyone else observed this?
Have you seen any improvement or found a solution? I just read through your thread, and I am not around my PPS, but this got me thinking. Isn't there a box to select for "Multi Site Trunking", or something similar, in one of the tabs? I remember reading this should be left unchecked. I checked it at some point in V3, and my (vhf) G5 behaved as you're describing. I'm just wondering if for some reason if the box defaults as checked in V4. I am not sure exactly where the selection is in the PPS but can look for it when I'm at my computer.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
Your thinking of the site trunking check box, its defaulted as unchecked. That's for when the site looses its connection back to the master controller. My solution was to use the previous pps and program the pager.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Your thinking of the site trunking check box, its defaulted as unchecked. That's for when the site looses its connection back to the master controller. My solution was to use the previous pps and program the pager.
Thanks. I’ll do the same. It appears at times, I’m having the same issue as the original poster.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
Have you seen any improvement or found a solution? I just read through your thread, and I am not around my PPS, but this got me thinking. Isn't there a box to select for "Multi Site Trunking", or something similar, in one of the tabs? I remember reading this should be left unchecked. I checked it at some point in V3, and my (vhf) G5 behaved as you're describing. I'm just wondering if for some reason if the box defaults as checked in V4. I am not sure exactly where the selection is in the PPS but can look for it when I'm at my computer.
I haven't seen an improvement. I did double check the site trunking settings to completely rule it out on my end and it was disabled. I did notice, a few times recently, it coming back in range like it should with Virginia STARS but not with any of my 800 systems. It might be because I have the STARS system programed with multiple sites unlike all my 800 systems

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Are any of you using Full Spectrum Scan? I seem to recall getting some very similar behaviour when my FSS wasn't properly set up--assuming that any of you are even using that feature.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen an improvement. I did double check the site trunking settings to completely rule it out on my end and it was disabled. I did notice, a few times recently, it coming back in range like it should with Virginia STARS but not with any of my 800 systems. It might be because I have the STARS system programed with multiple sites unlike all my 800 systems
(Sorry I accidentally hit post replay before i finished my last post. I'll start this post with the last sentence from my last post.) It might be because I have the VA STARS system programmed with multiple sites unlike any of the 800 systems that are programed with only one site. I did consider using V3 until the bug was addressed but decided against it because of the new features in V4 that I've gotten accustomed to. For the time being, I've just been using my workaround to bring an out of range system back up. Hopefully this bug will be addressed soon

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
Are any of you using Full Spectrum Scan? I seem to recall getting some very similar behaviour when my FSS wasn't properly set up--assuming that any of you are even using that feature.
I haven't really used that feature yet. I've only tested it out a few times in the past but never used it with any of the systems I have programmed.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
I noticed this problem once before I read this thread and could not figure out why it happened. I've been able to duplicate it several times since then, by removing the antenna to lose the site. I have firmware 1.33 and my G5 (vhf) was programmed with v4. I reprogrammed it with v3 and I haven't been able to duplicate the issue afterward.

ErikSwan

Premium Subscriber
Related thread:

I can't reproduce this issue on my VHF G5N with firmware 2.01. Note that the new G5N with 2.01 firmware can only be programmed with PPS v4; PPS v3 is not supported. I suspect this is isolated to the older revision G5 models.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I've had this issue as well. I thought it was something in my new vehicle that was causing interference as it doesn't happen in two other vehicles. I have to switch to a different knob position and back to get it to lock onto the control channel again.