Jackson County TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

i do believe some type of cross-talk is occurring. on 33480 I heard a gpd unit going to a call and a moment later I heard the same unit saying the same thing on 1072 gpd dispatch via my feed which has a 5 second delay from live. So random transmissions are making it to unusual numbered tkid's.

KE5TLF

Yep she's still got some problems for sure. I doubt we'll be able to trust much of anything "new" until the issue is resolved.

What is the overall age and general condition of this system? I wonder if anyone in JC is looking at MSWIN for the future?

nexus

its been around since 1986 or 1987 right around that time frame. Shortly before Gautier was incorporated as a City. Back then the only site was the tower on Wade-Vancleave Rd and it was a 5 repeater type II smartnet. The original frequencies were 855.7375 856.7375 857.7375 858.7375 859.7375. Moss Point had their own conventional 800mhz repeater on 851.2375 and used Motorola STX-821's. Jackson County Sheriff owned the trs and all of the county agencies including the volunteer fire departments were on it. the SO used Spectra's and MTX8000's. Gautier had it's own conventional 800mhz repeater on 855.9875 and they used mtx800's and then moved to the county trs but kept the conventional rpt as a backup, until just before lowes built right next to their property, they tore down the tower and building and got rid of the equipment.

I don't know the condition of the system, but do know that this p16 crap (mixed analog/digital) is crap on the scanners. I hate the motorboating and garbled transmissions some of the time and none of that appears on a true p25 system. I wish gautier and mosspoint would just move on to digital and let the county just go all p25 and dump the analog portion. I don't see them moving to mswin.

KE5TLF

I'd all but forgotten how it used to be back when I first started learning the area which was around that same time frame. I had never really known where the JC TRS had it's start though. Thanks for refresher. :) Oh and thanks for the work on the wiki page too. :)
One of these days I'm going to build us a really nice wiki article for the county.
So many projects so little time. <sigh> hehe

KE5TLF

Just noticed, 1232 is confirmed a real TGID and is in use at Trent Lott airport.
Most comms I've heard so far are between the "FBO" and "Security" concerning access to the tarmac by vehicles.
Still not exactly sure if this pertains to the airport proper, the Northrup Grumman facility, or both.

2656 is also confirmed as the county's industrial water plant operations.

Last edited:

nexus

yeah it's crazy to sit here and think about how long this stuff has been around and in use. Back in the day I use to spend a lot of time at team one, but it was called martin's communications. I've been inside the prime site several times and even helped with programming some of the county's radios. But so much has changed, and that was over 7 years ago. Jackson County was actually the first location down here to get trunking. Harrison County was still using low band and all of the municipalities still used vhf high.

oops, well when I did that last night I just made something quick and dirty to have a place to keep it all in one spot instead of adding page after page on this thread. Yeah I've been hearing some of the trent lott traffic regarding notifying vehicles that would be going onto the tarmac.

KE5TLF

no oops required hehe. you did a awesome job. :D
Getting the raw data in there is the hard part. Polishing it up is easy. Thanks again for starting these entries up. The wiki is so perfect for keeping track of this stuff.

I already updated things a bit and threw some links and stuff in there real quick too. :)

KE5TLF

UID/RID/I-Call/PC trivial pursuit...as you probably already know, but others may not.

The last 2 or 3 digits are _supposed_ to all be the same for each unit's ID/Car #/Mobile RID/Portable RID.
I've never really specifically studied it but I'm guessing in the case of JCSO 28xxx are mobiles and 29xxx are HT's.
So unit 135 should be in car 135 using mobile 28135 and portable 29135 for example.

JCSO reserve units are 300's and will be heard more on the weekends than other times.

KE5TLF

JCSO had a vehicle pursuit along highway 90 just now. Vehicle was eastbound in the wesbound lanes for a while, then crossed over to the eastbound side, then got onto Old Stage Road westbound at The Oaks, then got back onto 90 and crashed at 19:46. It will probably span both 7 p.m archive files towards the end of the first half hour and at the beginning of the second.

Last edited:

nexus

my internet connection was down during most of the day and it didn't come back up until a little bit ago. I don't think I would have any of it on the archives.

KE5TLF

Still seems to be a good bit of cross talk going on but...

2704 seems to be a real TGID. Copied some traffic on it today from one guy, who was apparently sent to get some drill bits, to another guy about which ones to buy out of 3 choices.

Prior to this there was a transmission "<cutoff> percent, i don't know why those other pumps aren't kicking on."

Possibly related there was an all call today at work for all areas to report in their current water usage from the city and industrial water supplies.

KE5TLF

Never realized the wiki page for this system hadn't been filled in so now that is corrected. :)

I've moved the TRS specific info from the main county page into the system specific page.

KE5TLF

A full time dedicated feed with tags for JC VFD's and EMS coming soon. ;)

EDIT: Ok folks I've now got dedicated feeds for MSWIN and JC Fire/EMS. They are still split between a stereo line in for the moment but I will be changing that soon. So bear with me. :)

Last edited:

KE5TLF

TGID 5680 discovered this evening during the Christmas fireworks show in Moss Point. Definitely Moss Point Fire Department (heard "Fire Chief" used). No idea of the channel name as of yet though. Going to call it MP Fire Special Event for the time being.

Also prior to the Pascagoula parade this evening Sheriff's units were talking on A TAC A about whether they were going to be using their "Special Events" channel(s) of which we have no record of. They are not using them since some analog only agencies are also involved so they are using the A TAC channels.

Edit 1 - TGID 7280 Pascagoula Fire Department Events.

Last edited:

ScannerWayne

Hey guys...

Don't know why I hadnt seen this thread before, but glad I read through it tonight. What caught my attention were the comments about the cross talk across talkgroups that only lasted for a transmission or two.

For the past month now I've been seeing the same thing on the Mobile County system. I made the assumption that it has something to do with all the work they are doing on getting the Mobile City system transfered over to the county system. And that it would clear up as they worked out the bugs.

Didn't see any recent comments about it concerning your system over there, so thought I would ask if anyone had learned anything that might be applicable to what I'm seeing over here in Mobile.

Wayne...

KE5TLF

I don't that I (or we) really learned anything definitive or not. Going on (failing) memory though I recall Team One's talkgroups becoming quite active on a few separate occasions shortly following our noticing the problems. Several agencies also commented over the air about the system acting up. Some of the things I recall the most is the Team One techs seemed to be working mostly with the hard lines that interconnect some of the different sites/locations. I can only guess that 1 or more of these became unserviceable and they had to pick up some spares possibly.

KE5TLF

We have a control channel change for the first time in a long time.
855.31250a is now active. Likely this means nothing but figured I would pass it along. You never know when something else may change.

KE5TLF

Another CC change today 854.6375 is current CC.
T88 is showing a new alt CC as well. 855.76250
DB updated accordingly.

EDIT: Just changed back to 855.3125 about 3 minutes before this edit. Wierd.
EDIT 2: ...and now back to 854.6375....
EDIT 3: ...and now to 855.7625...
EDIT 4: ...now back to 855.3125

Ok no more edits. Suffice it to say the CC is changing with great frequency this afternoon. No idea why but it doesn't seem normal for sure. Not even sure how long this has been occuring.

Things seem to have settled down now. Current CC 855.3125

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.